Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:37 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwu123 View Post
Wow, thanks for the link! Now I'm just a bit worried that my old ADSL (not ADSL2) modem is only rated to 8 Mbps tops and might cause problems. But I'll call the number in the first link.
When you sign up in the store they hand you a DSL modem at no extra cost. It's actually a Zyxel DSL router, but you can go into the menus and put it into bridge mode. They gave me a Zyxel wireless DSL router since I committed to one year of DSL and phone, but it turned out to be junk. I had an old Zyxel DSL modem laying around and use that instead in bridge mode with my own wireless router.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 04:40 PM

37 posts, read 112,660 times
Thanks for responding. I will be moving to the area in 6 weeks, so this gives me time to check my options out.

Here (back East) we have one cable provider. Besides the crappy weather, cable is another reason to leave the area.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:16 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Just to let everyone know, ***** raised their rates again. My bill just went up nearly $5. Premier internet is now $50 instead of $47, and my digital cable went up a dollar too.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:46 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,501,960 times
Those Cox people are dix!

Old 03-14-2011, 03:47 PM

65 posts, read 324,475 times
Well, called Centurylink through the specific number on that webpage earlier in the thread. They said $30/month was for speeds only up to 1.5Mbps, however, they said for $40/month I could get the up to 10Mbps to start.

But they said there was no free modem over the phone OR in the store. Debating whether to place the order ahead of time by phone, or whether to try going into the store once I arrive Sunday afternoon, to try to get the free modem (which I'd need if I wanted to opt for the 10 Mbps.

Good thing is they said the new house has had Centurylink internet service in the past, so it can be activated remotely on their backend with no truck roll.

Cox won't even pick up the phone, can't even be bothered to take a new order I guess....

UPDATE: Talked to a Centurylink rep at a local store, they said the free modem was a promo up until around October, so that is why it is not currently offered.

Last edited by wwu123; 03-14-2011 at 03:59 PM..

Old 03-15-2011, 01:27 PM

75 posts, read 138,040 times
So what is this Prism TV that Century Link is advertising now?

Old 03-15-2011, 05:57 PM

7 posts, read 22,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlf View Post
So what is this Prism TV that Century Link is advertising now?
Junk I got sold on Prism top HD package with 25mbs DSL and unlimited long distance on the phone for 150 a month. They missed EIGHT appointments and took almost a month to get installed.

They get here I can only have 3mbs and NO HD and the prism is missing some channels I really like. The tech said there have been plenty of times with the reps will flat out lie. Just horrible customer service. I'm dropping them and going back to direct TV. I've been told if I drop the Prism I can go to 25 MBS on DSL so I may stick with them for that.

But they have been just awful for us.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDalamar View Post
They get here I can only have 3mbs and NO HD and the prism is missing some channels I really like. The tech said there have been plenty of times with the reps will flat out lie. Just horrible customer service. I'm dropping them and going back to direct TV. I've been told if I drop the Prism I can go to 25 MBS on DSL so I may stick with them for that.
I think they were lying to you again. You're too far from the CO or remote terminal, so you've got reduced speeds, which is why you can't have HD. HDTV compressed with H.264 is about 5Mbps per channel. If they could actually manage 25Mbps to your home, they would have allowed two or more simultaneous HD channels in your profile. My guess is you would see no more than 10Mbps if you had DSL only.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:44 PM

65 posts, read 324,475 times
Quote:
Well, called Centurylink through the specific number on that webpage earlier in the thread. They said $30/month was for speeds only up to 1.5Mbps, however, they said for $40/month I could get the up to 10Mbps to start.

But they said there was no free modem over the phone OR in the store. Debating whether to place the order ahead of time by phone, or whether to try going into the store once I arrive Sunday afternoon, to try to get the free modem (which I'd need if I wanted to opt for the 10 Mbps.

Good thing is they said the new house has had Centurylink internet service in the past, so it can be activated remotely on their backend with no truck roll.

Cox won't even pick up the phone, can't even be bothered to take a new order I guess....

UPDATE: Talked to a Centurylink rep at a local store, they said the free modem was a promo up until around October, so that is why it is not currently offered.
Well, decided to order the Centurylink Pure over the phone, this rep said for the $29.95/mo service, I would get the up to 10 Mbps service. Go figure!

Anyway, I asked how to get the DSL modem settings once I arrive, they said I could call Tech Support once I'm there. But I assume it's the same for all customers - does someone on this forum have the settings and could provide them here?

Old 03-17-2011, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Well, decided to order the Centurylink Pure over the phone, this rep said for the $29.95/mo service, I would get the up to 10 Mbps service. Go figure!
Yeah, that's called CSR routlette. If you don't get the answer you want, call again.

Quote:
Anyway, I asked how to get the DSL modem settings once I arrive, they said I could call Tech Support once I'm there. But I assume it's the same for all customers - does someone on this forum have the settings and could provide them here?
These days I think most DSL modems can auto-configure, and usually get it correct.

I'll be back in LV tomorrow night and can check my settings. I believe the settings on mine are 8/35 for VPI/VCI, and DHCP (not PPPoE, this part I'm sure of). Is that all you need? If you can't wait, do a search in the Embarq/Centurytel forum on dslreports.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas