Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 11:59 AM

7 posts, read 25,079 times

Advertisements

I hate to start yet another thread on apartments in Las Vegas but I would appreciate your help. I am moving in 3 weeks and have to find an apartment sight unseen. I have a dog that due to weight restrictions has limited me to the following communities:
Hampton Garden - 9750 Peace Way
Summerhill Pointe - 9501 West Sahara Avenue
Copper Creek -9490 S. Bermuda

I am taking into consideration any input you have on the respective Elementary Schools:
Hayes ES
MJ Christensen ES
Cartwright/Gehring ES

My stress level has hit an all time high with the move taking place in 3 weeks. I have to make my decision soon and place a depost.

All of your help and opinions is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 02:09 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2NV View Post
I hate to start yet another thread on apartments in Las Vegas but I would appreciate your help. I am moving in 3 weeks and have to find an apartment sight unseen. I have a dog that due to weight restrictions has limited me to the following communities:

I am taking into consideration any input you have on the respective Elementary Schools:
Hayes ES
MJ Christensen ES
Cartwright/Gehring ES

My stress level has hit an all time high with the move taking place in 3 weeks. I have to make my decision soon and place a depost.

Thanks!!!!
Christensen and Cartright are top quintile schools. Cartwright and Hayes are second quintile. I would not classify any of them as weak schools.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:19 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2NV View Post

Hayes ES
MJ Christensen ES
Cartwright/Gehring ES

Thanks!!!!
If you go to the CCSD website (Clark County School District), they have school accountability reports here. Link (http://ccsd.net/schools/accReports.phtml - broken link)

Old 07-30-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
If you go to the CCSD website (Clark County School District), they have school accountability reports here. Link (http://ccsd.net/schools/accReports.phtml - broken link)
Which are rank ordered here...

Clark County School Rankings and Performance

Which was done because it is almost impossible to arrive at an opinion on a school from the Accountability Reports.

That site also links to the Accountability Reports so you can get to the horses mouth for the raw information and other facts.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Which are rank ordered here...

Clark County School Rankings and Performance

Which was done because it is almost impossible to arrive at an opinion on a school from the Accountability Reports.

That site also links to the Accountability Reports so you can get to the horses mouth for the raw information and other facts.
Please be aware that the link cited by Olecapt is from a real estate website -- and one that I strongly suspect he created himself. It is by no means official. Moreover -- and this is not a slam at Olecapt -- I believe almost anyone of reasonable intelligence can most certainly "arrive at an opinion on a school from the Accountability Reports." Olecapt himself arrived at an opinion on the CCSD schools based on the accountability reports, as is clear from the statement on the Donohoe website he linked for you which stated, "We basically compared the schools by the percentage of children meeting or exceeding the standard. We did the ranking for each category: Reading, Writing, Mathematics and Science. We then summed the rankings of each school and then ranked the school by this sum."

Since school data shift from year, it's advisable to get the data from the horse's mouth. JMHO.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Please be aware that the link cited by Olecapt is from a real estate website -- and one that I strongly suspect he created himself. It is by no means official. Moreover -- and this is not a slam at Olecapt -- I believe almost anyone of reasonable intelligence can most certainly "arrive at an opinion on a school from the Accountability Reports." Olecapt himself arrived at an opinion on the CCSD schools based on the accountability reports, as is clear from the statement on the Donohoe website he linked for you which stated, "We basically compared the schools by the percentage of children meeting or exceeding the standard. We did the ranking for each category: Reading, Writing, Mathematics and Science. We then summed the rankings of each school and then ranked the school by this sum."

Since school data shift from year, it's advisable to get the data from the horse's mouth. JMHO.
Go ahead Charle. Tell us where to find an equivalent rackup. While I am a realtor I am a well trained and experienced engineer and did such things for a living for many years.

What I did is reasonably simple. CCSD could do it in a month or less. I can do it in a couple of days. Not that I am smarter than the CCSD staff...but they have bureaucrats and I do not.

Why do you think CCSD does not have such a rack Charlie...now think about it....I bet you can figure it out.

If CCSD had such a rack I would simply link to it. But they don't Charlie and, unfortunately, won't.

The data is from the horses mouth. I simply lift the sections of the achievement reports and combine them a bit in a data base. Nothing terribly difficult. The only judgement is the way the three or four categories are weighed. I do it equal...the copeout...but I suspect others could make an argument about that. Note that all my entries link to the actual Achievement Reports. So you can always go and look at the real data if you wish and can deal with that.

When CCSD launches new Achievement Reports my site will update in less than a week. Far, far faster than any of the national sites that also grab that data .

Go ahead Charlie give me a quick demo. Tell me the top 10 schools for a kid good at math in the 7th grade. Ohhh I need a three bedroom house and can't spend more than 275,000. Please factor that in...

You, as a purported educator, should be giving me kudos for an effective area resource. Instead you try to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt.

Look ashamed Charlie...and you are not the least bit humble.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Go ahead Charle. Tell us where to find an equivalent rackup. While I am a realtor I am a well trained and experienced engineer and did such things for a living for many years.
If by "such things" you mean engineering, that's wonderful. I'm sure you did it well and found it rewarding, as (I hope) you do real estate.

That said, it is always important to look at the source and to value their information accordingly. As I'm sure you know better than I, the purpose of a real estate agent is to sell houses. On your real estate website -- and it is yours, I take it? -- you list "Our Favorite Neighborhoods" as "Northwest, Sun City Summerlin, and Summerlin," respectively.

It therefore does not go too far abroad from simple inference to conclude that you have a vested interest in selling property in Summerlin and the Summerlin area, yes? And that you also therefore have a vested interest in "selling" the schools of that area as being the best in Vegas?

Obviously, that need not necessarily have affected the honest presentation of your data, but as with any other source, motives and bias are an important factor for anyone to consider before accepting anything as absolute fact. I'm sure you understand, of course.

Quote:
Go ahead Charlie give me a quick demo. Tell me the top 10 schools for a kid good at math in the 7th grade. Ohhh I need a three bedroom house and can't spend more than 275,000. Please factor that in...

The real estate issue is only relevant in that it compromises your credibility. However, since there might be someone out there for whom this applies, I would, based on these limitations, suggest that the person's best bet is to apply to Hyde Park Middle School, a magnet whose specific focus is in mathematics and for whom zoning is irrelevant because (obviously, as a magnet) it draws from everywhere in the valley. My second choice would be Sig Rogich -- yes, a Summerlin school! -- whose advantage for a child gifted in math would be the presence of Marti Bein, the coordinator for CCSD's Highly Gifted program who is stationed at Rogich and would therefore be available to help with advocacy, curriculum compacting, and the like for a child whose abilities in math are more than just "good." My third choice would be Del Webb, a school which, like Rogich, is a designated high achieving school and has 63% of its students meeting or exceeding assessment standards. It's near my bedtime, though, Olecapt, so if you don't mind, I'm going to bed now. Have a nice night.

Hope this information has helped someone.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
If by "such things" you mean engineering, that's wonderful. I'm sure you did it well and found it rewarding, as (I hope) you do real estate.

That said, it is always important to look at the source and to value their information accordingly. As I'm sure you know better than I, the purpose of a real estate agent is to sell houses. On your real estate website -- and it is yours, I take it? -- you list "Our Favorite Neighborhoods" as "Northwest, Sun City Summerlin, and Summerlin," respectively.

It therefore does not go too far abroad from simple inference to conclude that you have a vested interest in selling property in Summerlin and the Summerlin area, yes? And that you also therefore have a vested interest in "selling" the schools of that area as being the best in Vegas?

Obviously, that need not necessarily have affected the honest presentation of your data, but as with any other source, motives and bias are an important factor for anyone to consider before accepting anything as absolute fact. I'm sure you understand, of course.

The real estate issue is only relevant in that it compromises your credibility. However, since there might be someone out there for whom this applies, I would, based on these limitations, suggest that the person's best bet is to apply to Hyde Park Middle School, a magnet whose specific focus is in mathematics and for whom zoning is irrelevant because (obviously, as a magnet) it draws from everywhere in the valley. My second choice would be Sig Rogich -- yes, a Summerlin school! -- whose advantage for a child gifted in math would be the presence of Marti Bein, the coordinator for CCSD's Highly Gifted program who is stationed at Rogich and would therefore be available to help with advocacy, curriculum compacting, and the like for a child whose abilities in math are more than just "good." My third choice would be Del Webb, a school which, like Rogich, is a designated high achieving school and has 63% of its students meeting or exceeding assessment standards. It's near my bedtime, though, Olecapt, so if you don't mind, I'm going to bed now. Have a nice night.

Hope this information has helped someone.
Acttually Charlie our primary RE practice is Senior citizens. Well over half. The other area is the RNP of the NW. In neither is schools an issue.

I came to do the web pages...which have zilch RE content other than a link to the home page... because it became clear to me that people could not penetrate the system...which is, in fact, set up to discourage comparison of the schools. That combined with the loud advice from a set of "know littles" claiming that only GV and Summerlin are fit to live in motivated me to do it. Not that I would mind selling a few houses off the page...but I think the vast majority of use is by renters who are of no particular commercial interest to me. .

I have a very similar page on crime by zip code. Same rationale. Summerlin and GV are pretty safe. So are many other areas.

And note that your choice of Hyde Park demonstrates the usefulness of the rankings. That particular school is virtually unknown to the general public. And the general public is not likely to pick it by scanning 60 achievement reports.

Note also that you missed Becker which would be a much better choice for a lower income family than either of your next two. Rogich and Del Webb are both in areas of very high housing costs. Becker covers a much wider range.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Acttually Charlie our primary RE practice is Senior citizens. Well over half. The other area is the RNP of the NW. In neither is schools an issue.

I came to do the web pages...which have zilch RE content other than a link to the home page... because it became clear to me that people could not penetrate the system...which is, in fact, set up to discourage comparison of the schools. That combined with the loud advice from a set of "know littles" claiming that only GV and Summerlin are fit to live in motivated me to do it. Not that I would mind selling a few houses off the page...but I think the vast majority of use is by renters who are of no particular commercial interest to me. .

I have a very similar page on crime by zip code. Same rationale. Summerlin and GV are pretty safe. So are many other areas.

And note that your choice of Hyde Park demonstrates the usefulness of the rankings. That particular school is virtually unknown to the general public. And the general public is not likely to pick it by scanning 60 achievement reports.
I didn't scan any achievement reports besides Hyde Park's to get that recommendation, actually. What I did -- and I'm mentioning the process so that other people can do that too -- is this: I went to the CCSD main site and followed the links regarding magnet schools, because if my son were excellent in math and I wanted him to go to a public school, presuming I didn't want to/couldn't afford to homeschool or send him to a private school, a magnet school is the first place I would want to look.

Since not all magnets are necessarily what they're cracked up to be, I then looked at the accountability report for HPMS, and from what I could tell based on that data, it looked like Hyde Park was a pretty good place for a math achiever -- and it's also a school which feeds pretty heavily into A-Tech, if memory serves. Since A-Tech is one of the only real magnet schools in CCSD besides the Academy and the CCHSs, it would be a good followup school (given that a child won't go to middle school forever, for which I think we can all be truly thankful).
Quote:

Note also that you missed Becker which would be a much better choice for a lower income family than either of your next two.
I thought about Becker, but the deciding factors against it for me were these: the designation of being in need of improvement for the second year in a row for English, the 102 suspensions for fighting, and the large class sizes. Webb had 11 fewer suspensions -- obviously still high -- but did have a stronger math program, did make the exemplary/high achieving list, and had a stronger science program also -- not the same as math, obviously, but very often, these two fields overlap quite a lot.

You're right about Rogich being in an area of high housing -- it is Summerlin, after all -- but Marti Bein is a resource whose worth really can't be measured. Depending on how gifted a child is, having the person who coordinates the Highly Gifted program in your corner (and at your school) can be invaluable. Many parents might choose to make a shrewd sacrifice for the middle school years and buy a home in that district to make it happen for them. It happens in Cerritos, CA all the time -- people move there basically just for Whitney.

Anyway, with all due respect for your list, and I say that without sarcasm because I know it is a genuine PITA to plow through data and make decisions, I think there are often many factors that play into a parent's decision to send their child to X, Y, or Z school, and those factors aren't always the kind one can fit onto a spreadsheet, not the least reason for which is that some of them have to do with our personal weighting of the data. JMHO, though.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:39 PM

But you reinforce the value. You and I can, in fact, actually dig through the stuff. But a single parent economically harassed...I don't think so.

Let us examine your thesis...just go to the magnet site...not by the way exactly easy to find unless you know about it. There let us examine the middle schools.

There are four. Hyde Park, Bridger, Knudson and Martin. Now what? Examine the Achievement reports. Well you got the numbers...what do they mean? A quick check of my list will show one great school and three in the middle of the pack. But to get that out of examining individual achievemment reports? Lots of luck.

You also miss one of the keys on Becker. It is a very good place for bright students. Actually number two to Hyde Park. Given its demographic it does the split bit. Does OK by the regular students and takes very good care of the bright students. Clark High is another of those. You know Clark produces as many National Merit Semi-Finalist as the top tier of the regular high schools. How can that be? Obviously another split program with some attributes enabling bright students to do well surrounded by a less than super environment.

I do agree with yiou that there are a lot of personal decisions involved in finding the right course for a particular family. But I have provided a very useful tool for that quest. And you have unfairly denigrated it based on persoal prejudice. You really should reconsider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: