Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:55 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,312,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe2ofus View Post
happy and mommom both have good points,.

now look at it from the perspective of someone who foreclosed: they see a valley with
more rentals than ever in history. if one LL denies, the next LL will take them. so many
fish in the sea.

it's kind of all relative.

money talks.
Agreed. GF and I moved out here with 800+ credit scores and jobs, but no rental history due to owning a house for the prior 6 years. The first two rentals we contacted drug their feet about the rental history, so we went with a third who took us on for a house rental the next day....and agreed to a six month term (hard to find at the time).

We completed our 6 months without incident, our LL never had to fix anything AND gave us our full deposit back. Rentals are a dime a dozen, but the less qualified the renter the less places will be open to them. Just keep calling around until you find a LL willing to take a risk on your circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 06:23 PM

579 posts, read 1,210,000 times
Quote:
Yeah, I have two rental properties. I have one occupied by a couple with pretty dang good credit 700+ and the other, well, let's not go there...

The irony is the guy with awful credit pays rent consistantly on time month after month. About the only time he ever calls me for anything is he wanted to put up some vertical blinds in the living room and was asking permission. The reason his credit is crappola is due to having been laid off/out of work for about a year before he found anything. He still managed to pay his rent though.

The couple with a good credit score? Constant pain in the ahem, buttocks..... Stuff is always mysteriously breaking, it seems as though they are constantly in some kind of dispute with the neighbors, etc... Basically whiners and complainers who I suspect simply want out of their lease.......

So, to me, rental history is more important than credit score....
This is a perfect example of what I was saying. It reminds me of a friend who filed bankruptcy and the minute she discharged it, was slammed with credit card offers. She couldn't believe it, but I explained that she is actually a BETTER credit risk than someone who hasn't declared BK, as she cannot file for another 7 years. The tenet with bad credit KNOWS they are lucky to even get the house in the first place and are greatful, and will do anything in their power to be the quiet, good little renter, not making waves. They don't want to have to be out on the street the next year looking again, competing with all of the others with great credit. A vast majority of these home foreclosures are families now renting......they'll do anything they can to keep up rent payments and keep their kids housed.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:19 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,763,161 times
Ironic how the very same people who were "qualified" for subprime home loans are now "unqualified" to rent those very same homes...
???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas