Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 04:24 PM

160 posts, read 715,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
For me, it's perfect for golf all year round. Traffic is light compared to what I have here in DC and crime is miniscule. My house will be ready in October and we don't have all the billboards soliciting sex like on the strip. I'm driving out on Monday and get into town on Friday with clubs in hand

You spent all that time bashing me in a prior post because I spoke poorly of Vegas, and you don't even live there?

Vegas is Vegas... but anyone who moves to Vegas with minimal skills in this economy is out of their mind.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:39 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea2LV2Hou View Post
You spent all that time bashing me in a prior post because I spoke poorly of Vegas, and you don't even live there?

Vegas is Vegas... but anyone who moves to Vegas with minimal skills in this economy is out of their mind.
Dude, I made that post over 2 years ago. Why are you pulling it out of the sky, I was driving out to Vegas to start work from DC when I posted that comment.

Nothing has changed since that comment. The weather is great, the golf is fantastic, traffic is a breeze compared to DC (although with all the construction projects going on right now, it makes it tough at times), I've made tons of friends out here and I run a successful business even in this economy.

Do yourself a favor and do some research before you make an assumption.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:14 PM

122 posts, read 359,323 times
have you ever thought maybe its just you that is bad? not really Vegas.

in every State their is good and bad. it has it's ups and Downs.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:40 PM

176 posts, read 510,659 times
This post is over 2 years old hopefully the OP has moved on. Theirs always people thats going to hate any state, but the good thing is this is America and we all have the right to move. Myself made the mistake of moving back to Maine from LV and hated it but you know what I did I did'nt sit on here ranting about it I worked my butt off so I could MOVE. I found the place I love to call home and thats LV, of course theirs issues but you take the good with the bad. Good luck to all the people moving here, take all of these posts with a grain of salt everyone has an opinion it may not be yours.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:28 AM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,083 times
Great post Mindy, I agree that Maine is great for visiting especially during the Maine Lobster Festival (yummy) but I couldn't ever live there.

As you have stated correctly, no city is perfect. Las Vegas works best for me

Old 08-29-2009, 10:47 AM

122 posts, read 356,431 times
Me and my wife are moving to Las Vegas as soon as we have enough money saved up. We, unlike most of the people that have moved to Vegas, have done a lot of research on jobs, cost of living, crime, taxes, insurance, utility costs, wages, neighborhoods, traffic, weather, bugs and animals, car expenses, medical costs, storage costs, among many other things. Maybe it's just me but it seems like people move there not knowing much and then blame the City when they learn that it's not what they expected. We visited last November for 12 days and spent very little of that time on the strip, we drove the expressways, visited neighborhoods and the suburbs, we looked at properties and checked out possible future employment and wages. You can't just one day decide to move to Las Vegas (or anywhere else for that matter) and think it's going to be all rose petals and lollipops. Do research on the things that matter the most to you and then make an educated decision on if it's the right place for you, for some it will be for others it won't.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:54 AM

450 posts, read 1,514,377 times
Default Re:

These posts just keep entertaining me, like everyone in the United States that is thinking about moving to Las Vegas NV, is going to change their mind because of the misconceptions posted here. I also love when people bring up the level of education people have in this city, and then misspell things all through their post (OP: HERE - should be HEAR, THROUGHT OUT - should be THROUGH OUT)
Agreed, Vegas is not for everyone. Don't move here because you like visiting here, move because you like the atmosphere, the culture, the history, the hospitality and entertainment industry, or because your company is relocating you here.

If you want to move here, bottom line, take a quick weekend trip, rent a car and drive 5-6 miles beyond the strip to see what the neighborhoods are for yourself. Don't ask on the message boards, what area is safe? There are areas that are safe within areas that are not. Your idea of safe, may not be safe in other people's minds, opinions differ, so check them out for yourself to see what you feel most comfortable in. I researched for two years and visited three times to look at different areas of the town and find out what I was comfortable in. When I finally made the decision, all the apartments I looked at previously and that I had narrowed down to three, were not available, so I had to go with a totally new one, but in an area that I liked. I am completely satisfied with my apartment, and am starting today to visit new places and areas for when my lease is up in January.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:17 PM

359 posts, read 1,407,789 times
Honestly, dont base your decision to move out to Vegas on other peoples opinions. What can be hell for them, can be heaven for you and vice versa. Come out here and see Vegas for yourself. It reminds me of this one lady who found out I was moving to Vegas. She said "oh no ! youre going to be a drug and gambling addict once you move there !" Under what basis do people make assumptions like that ? Drugs sex and money isnt the only thing Vegas has to offer. Some parts of Vegas are just like any other parts of the country.

Instead, base your move decision on things like job market, environment weather or something else. But never base it on other peoples views.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:07 PM

176 posts, read 510,659 times
Golfinnova I love the festivals there. I moved there because of family but ended up never seeing them anyways, lol. I like your post hockeygirl, everyone's different but the bottom line is do research. Good for you dracula you have obviously done your research I wish you the best with your move.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:08 PM

122 posts, read 356,431 times
Thank you Mindy, I just hope people do the same, you can't see Las Vegas featured on an episode of "Top Chef" and decide to move there because of that...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas