Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:49 AM

930 posts, read 1,819,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
I like Rosatti's

We have many "Chicago" places as Vegas has deep Chicago roots. They all suck.

Inn-N-Out is much better than Whitecastle as well.

When we go to the Chicago places the Chicagoan always makes excuses for why it's no good. "The water is not the same, ovens are not the same, etc, etc."

If we built everything the same as it was back in your home town it would still not be the same because we can not replace the nostalgia you feel about the town you left for a better life.
white castle is/was the original slider, totally different than burgers at In/Out. I agree with the poster who said IN/OUT was overrated.

but I totally agree with Rosattis pizza. now that we have found it, its the only place we'll get pizza from until the new Metro pizza is built in the NW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 09:04 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,028,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan05 View Post
Also Bob Evans is a nice change of pace restaurant from back east....
My wife grew up in Ohio and loves Bob Evans. BTW, you might be interested to learn (if you didn't already know) that Bob Evans runs Mimi's Cafe.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:42 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,715,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post
white castle is/was the original slider, totally different than burgers at In/Out. I agree with the poster who said IN/OUT was overrated.

but I totally agree with Rosattis pizza. now that we have found it, its the only place we'll get pizza from until the new Metro pizza is built in the NW.
In N Out is not overrated in my opinion but it is a good tasty burger for the money. I find their prices really good compared to other fast food places and the burgers are cooked to order rather than having them sit under a heat lamp.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:21 AM

654 posts, read 1,323,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Chik Fil A, but apparently Nevada is too evil for this company to want to build. Uno's for pizza, now that would be AWESOME...Chicago Pizza in Vegas...
While Pizzeria Uno isn't BAD, it's wayyy down the list for Chicago Deep Dish. I know they're the 'original', but it doesn't automatically make them best. Offhand, I'd rather have any of these well ahead of Uno:
1) Nancy's
2) Bacino's
3) Gino's East
4) Lou Malnati's
5) Rosati's
6) Edwardo's
7) My Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by uli2000 View Post
Want Chik-Fil-A? Get the southern style chicken sandwich at McDonalds.
Tried it. Twice. Wanted to give it a fair shake. Sucked both times.

First time I got a grotesque tubular vein running through much of the breast, didn't even eat it all - gotta work to get me to throw away food.

Second time there was a long piece of gristle running along it. Didn't taste anywhere near Chick-Fil-A & obviously the quality control was not there. Didn't finish this one either. I don't think I'd EVER tried something twice & not finished it either time. Now I have.

Not entirely scientific, but these were two McDonalds far away from one another at very different times. Would take a lot of coincidence for me to have that happen twice, yet the rest of the world have everything great with flavor just as good as Chick-Fil-A.

Quote:
I like Rosatti's

We have many "Chicago" places as Vegas has deep Chicago roots. They all suck.

Inn-N-Out is much better than Whitecastle as well.
Generally agreed. I don't expect perfection, but it would be nice if someplace approximated Chicago Deep Dish. I'll just bring back Nancy's myself & solve that problem.

As for White Castle, I share your lack of admiration. When I was in school, it was a great place to wind up at 3 AM after a night of drinking to people-watch. It was certainly fun to order a "slider, gobbler with a raincoat & a box of nails". The staff obviously knew what you were ordering but forced you to use the posted names to order food

Maybe it's the alcohol. It always seemed to taste better after a night of drinking. Sober it's always seemed so ... meh.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:15 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,809,359 times
i've never actually had white castle so I am speaking from a point of complete and utter ignorance.

I do like My Inn-n-out animal style though, it's west coast thing.

I discovered Rosattis pizza and it is about the best I ever had. I'll take it over metro pizza.

We do things different on the west coast I guess. We have round table Pizza which I think is very good. California Pizza Kitchen as well.

I've traveled a lot, never been to Chicago though. Best food anywhere is actually in New Orleans. When I travel to a new place I never look for the places I have back home. Mom taught me that when you go to a new place never eat food that you could get back home. This is my advice. Perhaps it's comfort food though.

My advice to people is to be more adventurous and open minded. I think some people have a xenophobic taste, where subconsciously they cannot enjoy good things simply because they are not familiar with them.

This is not mere speculation. Behaviorist have studied this in humans and other primates. Those of the more educated crowd may recall the Mere Exposure effect from school.

You can read more about what I am talking about here.

Mere exposure effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-15-2011, 02:17 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times
Quote:
This is not mere speculation. Behaviorist have studied this in humans and other primates. Those of the more educated crowd may recall the Mere Exposure effect from school.

You can read more about what I am talking about here.

Mere exposure effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I rail about our food habits from a different perspective.

Americans eat a diet of processed, fat-laden, sugar-added crap. Kids are raised on junk that's not even food -- McDonald's (and other high-fat, overly salted fast food), chemically-laden processed junk like Hot Pockets and Lunchables, and sugary sodas, sugar-added juices and sugar-added milk.

And then they grow up to think they're food critics?

That's like someone watching nothing but Steven Seagal movies one's entire life and then professing to be a film critic.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:10 PM

579 posts, read 1,210,695 times
Quote:
My advice to people is to be more adventurous and open minded. I think some people have a xenophobic taste, where subconsciously they cannot enjoy good things simply because they are not familiar with them.

This is true. They say you have to expose yourself to a food at least 10-15 times before you develope a taste for it. That was advice I used on my kids when they were little and it worked.

Quote:
I rail about our food habits from a different perspective.

Americans eat a diet of processed, fat-laden, sugar-added crap. Kids are raised on junk that's not even food -- McDonald's (and other high-fat, overly salted fast food), chemically-laden processed junk like Hot Pockets and Lunchables, and sugary sodas, sugar-added juices and sugar-added milk.

And then they grow up to think they're food critics?

That's like someone watching nothing but Steven Seagal movies one's entire life and then professing to be a film critic.
I agree with this too. I grew up thinking I HATED vegetables. Our asparagus, beets and green beans were always from cans. Outside of that we were fed the frozen bag of mixed veggies with lima beans....the only fresh vegetable we ate were salads or baked potatoes. Even broccoli was boiled within an inch of it's life. Doubt I actually absorbed an actual vitamin there....As an adult I lightly steam, saute in olive oil and garlic, or grill with wood chips. That's if it has to be cooked. I do it pretty al dente and buy nothing canned or frozen where those are concerened. It was the first time I could eat asparagus without gagging, and after about 10 servings you get to the point you LOVE the stuff.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:26 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,368,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecnj View Post
Dunkin Donuts!!!!

Starbucks is ridiculously expensive and can't match D&D. Miss it terribly.
There are Dunkin Donut shops all over town cecnj.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraynard Kruger View Post
I think Cane's wipes the floor with Chik-Fil-A.

And am I the only one who finds a great portion of Ikea's stuff to be somewhat...I don't know. Disposable?
I agree with you on IKEA Spray, it's starter furniture, and out of place in the Southwest, IMO. But the idea of wiping the floor with chicken isn't very appetizing.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Chik Fil A, but apparently Nevada is too evil for this company to want to build. Uno's for pizza, now that would be AWESOME...Chicago Pizza in Vegas...
We had Uno's at one time at Sahara and Decatur. It was just so so pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas