Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 05:14 PM

36 posts, read 60,690 times

Advertisements

Hi All! I just wanted to share with you all a little bit of my moving to Las Vegas story. I moved to Las Vegas from Los Angeles on August 27th, and it has been an experience thus far. I had been applying for jobs prior to moving here, but had little to no luck getting calls back. After moving here I started sending my resume like crazy, went to a few temp agencies, and even applied for retail jobs. I started to receive call backs on Monday the 29th, and interviews started to take place. I went to a few of them and I have to say, it is hard to get a job in Vegas. I felt like no one really wanted to give me a chance, so after my second week I started to get a little discouraged. But still, I continued sending my resumes, and this past Friday I got another interview for Monday morning, and today I got a job!

So I just wanted to say, that it is possible to be successful in Vegas. I'm really pumped right now, and just wanted to share the encouragement with you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 06:05 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,639,977 times
like your town, you are boldly going!

Welcome to Las Vegas!!

Jonathan

Old 09-13-2011, 06:06 PM

How did you know I was a Star Trek fan?!? Moving to Enterprise was not intentional! haha.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:28 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,812,265 times
Las Vegas, like any city, is what you make of it. Enjoy and welcome.

Bill

Old 09-13-2011, 06:29 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
macgeek is our resident psychic. He knows things others are too afraid to ask.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:02 PM

46 posts, read 74,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deenise_m View Post
Hi All! I just wanted to share with you all a little bit of my moving to Las Vegas story. I moved to Las Vegas from Los Angeles on August 27th, and it has been an experience thus far. I had been applying for jobs prior to moving here, but had little to no luck getting calls back. After moving here I started sending my resume like crazy, went to a few temp agencies, and even applied for retail jobs. I started to receive call backs on Monday the 29th, and interviews started to take place. I went to a few of them and I have to say, it is hard to get a job in Vegas. I felt like no one really wanted to give me a chance, so after my second week I started to get a little discouraged. But still, I continued sending my resumes, and this past Friday I got another interview for Monday morning, and today I got a job!

So I just wanted to say, that it is possible to be successful in Vegas. I'm really pumped right now, and just wanted to share the encouragement with you all!
Just want to say, "Hang in there!!" I have a question. Why did you move to a town where the unemployment rate here is 14%? The majority of people that move here have a job ready for them. Vegas is a tough town to find a job. In this town, it's who you know, not what you know.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:04 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyFool View Post
Just want to say, "Hang in there!!" I have a question. Why did you move to a town where the unemployment rate here is 14%? The majority of people that move here have a job ready for them. Vegas is a tough town to find a job. In this town, it's who you know, not what you know.
I find this post to be, well, lost or something.

Why are you advising them to hang in there when they are overjoyed to have found a job?

Old 09-13-2011, 07:18 PM

46 posts, read 74,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I find this post to be, well, lost or something.

Why are you advising them to hang in there when they are overjoyed to have found a job?
My bad. I'll just keep my mouth shut. Congrats on the job!!!

Old 09-13-2011, 07:33 PM

I just wanted to encourage everybody, that's all. I know it is hard, but I think if you are willing to work, you will find it no matter where you are.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:52 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,562 times
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: