Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 07:53 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,162,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
Lotus of Siam is located in the Commercial Center on W. Sahara - also in this center is Komol - a thai/chinese restaurant that specializes in vegetarian cooking, but their entire menu is outstanding! The wife and I have takeout from there all the time.

New Mexican - there is a Garduno's in the Palms and also at the Fiesta Rancho.

Indian - I like the India Palace buffet on Twain, but nothing beats the Samosa Factory on W. Sahara.
Hey, has anyone tried the birriera restaurant in Commercial Center? I'm intrigued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 07:54 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,162,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhale View Post

In-N-Out burger on W Sahara is our favorite late night spot. Safer than our first ever trip to the one on W Charleston where there was a shooting two hours after we left.
I appreciate the fact that at In-N-Out, you'll see something on their fries you'll never see at McCrap: REAL POTATO SKIN.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:11 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,212,370 times
Last time I looked the Commercial Center was on EAST Sahara.

We talking about the same place?

Old 08-20-2007, 09:49 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,415,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
You can also buy frozen green chile in most supermarkets - either Bueno or Albuquerque Chile Co.
you have no idea how happy that makes me!

only once in LA was i able to find any NM green - i bought all that they had...and never saw it again.

still might try to make it down to ABQ to grab a sack at harvest time...i can be sure i get them hot and i love roasting them (mmmm....i can smell 'em now) w/ a couple of beer on a hot afternoon (of course i may have to make that a hot morning as temps in LV are a bit hotter than northern NM)

thx again.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski21 View Post
I know this sounds lame, but I am looking forward to In-N-Out burger. That is the one thing I miss most from SoCal.
so not lame...i would miss them too. gimme a double double animal style!

good to know they are in LV as well.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
For your Korean food, I recommend Chinatown, which is basically a series of interconnected strip malls around Spring Mountain and (roughly) Decatur, if memory serves.

For cheap sushi, there's a little Bento place near the university. If you're in Huntridge, that's just south on Maryland Parkway. The place is called Cafe Mitz.

For Indian, I highly recommend Gandhi's Indian Cuisine on Flamingo and Paradise. Their buffet rocks.
gotta love an indian buffet...please tell me they have keer and gulab juman for dessert.

and i will be working down by UNLV...bentos always make a nice lunch

thx

Old 08-20-2007, 10:02 PM

Default wow!

how could i forget to add pizza on that list o' food?!

neone know who delivers to huntridge? (i'm looking at you, chest ) any chance they also have sammiches (maybe a good meatball sub)?

Old 08-20-2007, 11:39 PM

818 posts, read 3,699,053 times
Boston Pizza on LV Blvd and Amalfi Pizza (formerly Villa) on Maryland are both good choices if you don't want a nat'l chain. Great sandwiches at the Strip Sandwich shop on Bonneville and LV Blvd, but only during the weekday. try their Brisket!

Yes, cap'n - Commercial Center is on E. Sahara. Good lookin' out!

I've never tried the Birrieria Jalisco, but I don't like birria and that's all they serve... I'm sure they make it well

Old 08-21-2007, 01:22 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
you have no idea how happy that makes me!

only once in LA was i able to find any NM green - i bought all that they had...and never saw it again.

still might try to make it down to ABQ to grab a sack at harvest time...i can be sure i get them hot and i love roasting them (mmmm....i can smell 'em now) w/ a couple of beer on a hot afternoon (of course i may have to make that a hot morning as temps in LV are a bit hotter than northern NM)

thx again.
You're right, it is worth a trip to Albuquerque to buy green chilis, but I just bought a 30 lb bag roasted on Saturday from Albertson's on College Drive in Henderson (of course). Once a year a couple of the Albertson's (the other was on E. Bonanza at Lamb this year) bring in a truck load and roast them in the parking lot. There is nothing like the smell of green chilis being roasted, unless it's the smell of a sack of them in the trunk of your car on the drive home. We argue over who gets to keep the gunny sack in their car until the smell finally fades away. They were nice large ones this year so we placed them four to a baggy, then placed eight baggies in larger freezer bags to keep frozen for use all year. I'm told there may be other places around town to buy them, especially in the east side of town, but I haven't looked.

On Sunday we had the girls over for chili relleños, beans, and Spanish rice, with homemade flan for dessert. Hummmm.

Here's the best recipe for chili relleños. It's a light batter. Most restaurants make the batter too heavy and it overpowers the taste of the chilis. They also don't normally use Hatch, NM, green chilis either, which is a shame since those are the worlds best tasting chilis. Garduños in the Palms and Fiesta hotels are from Albuquerque and use the right chilis. And, yes, "chili", with an 'i' is the correct spelling according to the chili experts in New Mexico.

This makes 14 to 16 relleños. Assuming the chilis are already roasted, place a little Monterrey Jack cheese inside each one. Beat the whites of five or six eggs until slightly stiff, but not too stiff. Add some salt and pepper to taste, plus two tablespoons of WHITE flour (easy on the flour and don't use whole wheat), and the yolks (we only use two for color), and beat some more. Now dip the entire pepper into the batter and fry slowly in very little oil.

If the peppers are not roasted you can burn the skins under your broiler. Keep turning and try not to burn off the tails (the tails look better on and it gives you a handle). Once the skins look like they will peel easily (there should be some burning), cool the peppers in a brown paper bag. After they are cool, peel the skins and rinse out the seeds gently so the tail stays on and the pepper doesn't fall apart. If you like the seeds leave them in. The heat of a pepper comes from the membranous strands that the seeds are attached to; so if you can't take the heat, pull that out of the chilis. When roasting in the broiler I suggest you open all the doors and windows and turn on a lot of fans. Then leave the house and go about a block away, as it will burn eyes, nose, and throat. Just kidding...but it is strong enough to make you cry.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
And, yes, "chili", with an 'i' is the correct spelling according to the chili experts in New Mexico.
hey buzz...thanks for the info on getting Big Jim's in LV (and for the recipe).

you are right that Hatch chiles are the best, but the 'expert' who told you to spell chile with an 'i' was probably from texas (to be read not new mexican therefore not to be trusted about chile ). the correct spelling is w/o question w/ an 'e'.

trust me on this...i grew up in new mexico - my blood runs chistmas (tasty mix of NM green and red chile). chili is the anglo spelling (and pronounciation) of the bastardized spanish pronounciation...it should be chile = chi-ley; not chili = chil-ee

that being said, most people pronounce Nevada like anglos also (ne-vaa-da instead of ne-vah-da)...i never realized that until i started looking at places in LV and people told me that i was pronouncing it wrong (lotsa people). i'm working on it.

regardless, thank you very much again for the info...i would love to get some hatch chile w/o having to make the drive...of course if i make the drive i can get sopapillas...OMG, does garduno's give you sopapillas w/ your meal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas