Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:20 PM

40 posts, read 109,392 times

Advertisements

When people refer to Las Vegas as a City with no Culture, are they referring to just the Arts?

Because I see alot of Culture, you just have to look for it. First Friday, the Strip, art galleries, VegasStEATS, just had the Summerlin Arts Festival a few weeks ago, I'm sure there are much more, but is that what people are referring to? I wonder if they are whining just to whine.

Culture | Define Culture at Dictionary.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 07:50 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
When people refer to Las Vegas as a City with no Culture, are they referring to just the Arts?

Because I see alot of Culture, you just have to look for it. First Friday, the Strip, art galleries, VegasStEATS, just had the Summerlin Arts Festival a few weeks ago, I'm sure there are much more, but is that what people are referring to? I wonder if they are whining just to whine.

Culture | Define Culture at Dictionary.com

Culture is yankee codeword for not like the east coast.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:54 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
And don't forget the new Smith Center and the Bellagio Gallery of Fine Arts and the Las Vegas Symphony Orchestra.

I've been quite vocal that I don't think we have ENOUGH culture. But we do have it. And if you get involved with that particular community, it's a rewarding experience.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:14 PM

31 posts, read 68,181 times
Someone told me I had no culture because I don't watch football.......really?

Old 10-20-2011, 10:23 PM

542 posts, read 986,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And don't forget the new Smith Center and the Bellagio Gallery of Fine Arts and the Las Vegas Symphony Orchestra.

I've been quite vocal that I don't think we have ENOUGH culture. But we do have it. And if you get involved with that particular community, it's a rewarding experience.
Really? I had no idea!! I love going to see an orchestra.

And... I agree. There IS culture, its just either not very good, or what I'm into isn't there (Had no idea about the orchestra, so maybe the last part of my statement is my own fault for not looking hard enough).

I have to say though, the natural history museum sucks. I'm sure due to lack of funding.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:18 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,537,916 times
culture isn't the domain of the sophisticated or refined...

Old 10-21-2011, 08:14 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
and what the elitists fail to remember [or admit to ] is that POPULAR music and dance is ALSO culture...it doesn't have to be Pagliacci to be good.

In days past EVERY hotel had world class orchestras playing in every showroom. The had Production revues that rivaled revues in any city in the world.

True....we don't have Opera here, we don't have a world class orchestra performing classical pieces. We don't have the NY Public library or the Smithsonian available to walk in and out of....but very few cities in the world have those things.....and NO city in the entire world has the QUANTITY or the QUALITY of entertainment that we have here.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:55 AM

418 posts, read 1,349,445 times
It is all there .. just not in the larger institutions of older cities
There are things in Clark County that you will not find any where else
The west was once famous for the number of Opera houses ..but they were small
What is deceiving is .. so much is free or inexpensive ..

I suggest ..
Get your self to a place that has tourist info ..

Old 10-21-2011, 12:59 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
True....we don't have Opera here,
Yes, we do.

Opera Las Vegas

Old 10-21-2011, 01:18 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yes, we do.

Opera Las Vegas
I stand corrected....the Fat Lady HAS sung.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas