Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 03:08 PM

306 posts, read 434,090 times

Advertisements

I'm becoming intrigued with couponing. My sister does it, not to an extreme, but enough to have her pantry filled to the brim. I'm watching Extreme Couponing on TLC and it looks interesting and fun. Does Nevada have double coupons? Is there tax on food items?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 03:10 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times
It sounds as if you don't live here. Food (most food, at least) is exempt. There is very little in the way of "double couponing" here. At least not where I shop. I've never seen it at Smiths or Albertsons, and certainly not at Whole Foods or the Asian and Mexican markets.

But our food costs are quite low to begin with.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
It sounds as if you don't live here. Food (most food, at least) is exempt. There is very little in the way of "double couponing" here. At least not where I shop. I've never seen it at Smiths or Albertsons, and certainly not at Whole Foods or the Asian and Mexican markets.

But our food costs are quite low to begin with.
I don't live there currently but will be moving into my new Las Vegas home in a few weeks! Thanks for the information. I am just intrigued with the amount of money these people save.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalik View Post
I don't live there currently but will be moving into my new Las Vegas home in a few weeks! Thanks for the information. I am just intrigued with the amount of money these people save.
You'll save more learning what markets sell what products inexpensively. I can't help you for processed food or soda. But produce is best purchased from the Mexican and Asian markets, and through Bountiful Baskets, for instance.

You can find the guide to the local markets that I wrote up if you search this forum.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:27 PM

34 posts, read 50,884 times
I know in WA Safeway (Vons here) and Albertsons would sometimes put double coupons in their ads, but it would only be for like 3 coupons. Not sure if they do that here too, but maybe.

There are all sorts of rumors about that show and that they cheat the system to get those results and/or use fake coupons. Also in light of the show I know a lot of companies have changed their policies so it may be harder to do now. Not to mention from what they say on the show it's a full time job.

I'm not an expert though, and who knows if those rumors are true or not. There are many many websites out there to help you coupon though, some even have forums and message boards, I'm sure with a quick google search you could find one in the vegas area.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:35 PM

I have family members who live in the areas of America where extreme couponing works. I have seen them purchase a cart full of groceries, and have nine-cents returned to them after checkout. But for the most part, it's stuff I don't eat -- jars of spaghetti sauce, etc.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
You'll save more learning what markets sell what products inexpensively. I can't help you for processed food or soda. But produce is best purchased from the Mexican and Asian markets, and through Bountiful Baskets, for instance.

You can find the guide to the local markets that I wrote up if you search this forum.
My goal is to definitely move to a more organic diet, but it's a work in progress. I will be living in the 89148 area. I will look for the Mexican and Asian markets in my area. Thanks!

Old 10-16-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacedButterfly View Post
I know in WA Safeway (Vons here) and Albertsons would sometimes put double coupons in their ads, but it would only be for like 3 coupons. Not sure if they do that here too, but maybe.

There are all sorts of rumors about that show and that they cheat the system to get those results and/or use fake coupons. Also in light of the show I know a lot of companies have changed their policies so it may be harder to do now. Not to mention from what they say on the show it's a full time job.

I'm not an expert though, and who knows if those rumors are true or not. There are many many websites out there to help you coupon though, some even have forums and message boards, I'm sure with a quick google search you could find one in the vegas area.
Wow about them possibly being fake. It sure does look exciting! LOL. Yes, I am on the hunt for those websites that have coupons. Thanks!

Old 10-16-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I have family members who live in the areas of America where extreme couponing works. I have seen them purchase a cart full of groceries, and have nine-cents returned to them after checkout. But for the most part, it's stuff I don't eat -- jars of spaghetti sauce, etc.
Sadly, I have to admit, for now, I use jarred spaghetti. I do try to use as close to healthy as possible. Once I improve on my cooking from scratch skills, I hope to move away from processed foods. But for now, I need to maximize on the money I have allocated for my food budget.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmalik View Post
Sadly, I have to admit, for now, I use jarred spaghetti. I do try to use as close to healthy as possible. Once I improve on my cooking from scratch skills, I hope to move away from processed foods. But for now, I need to maximize on the money I have allocated for my food budget.
Then move away from processed food. It is a false economy. I can make pizzas for a week for the cost of a sack of flour, some canned tomatoes and herbs, and some milk. (Mozzarella is easy to make). Or for the same cost I could buy ONE frozen pizza.

There is very little in this world that is less expensive when purchased pre-made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: