Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 09:27 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,760 times

Advertisements

Op the post you quoted is for someone who probably came to Vegas with a dream and left broken. Nobody hates a town so much that hey become a professional troll. If you have vices his town will chew you up and spit you out. One thing I can tell you is that compared to SoCal the city is way less pretentious overall.

Thankfully all the dbags with their faux hawks and Ed Retardy sorts hang out a the clubs. If ou stay awa from the clubs you won't have to even worry at them.

Just for the record I came here for the exact same reason pure thinking at relocating, no other reason. Vegas isn't nearly as great as some people make it ( namely people who say its beautiful I personally think that's its quite ugly except a night) and not nearly as bad as people say. Somewhere between the two extremes lies the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 09:31 PM

30 posts, read 51,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
Just for the record I came here for the exact same reason pure thinking at relocating, no other reason. Vegas isn't nearly as great as some people make it ( namely people who say its beautiful I personally think that's its quite ugly except a night) and not nearly as bad as people say. Somewhere between the two extremes lies the truth.
The middle perspective is definitely what I'm looking for. There are some people on here who REALLY like Las Vegas - they can't be right - and there's people who HATE Las Vegas - they can't be right either. It's basically why I'm seeking help from the boards, I want to be fair to the city and get all perspectives.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:38 PM

107 posts, read 149,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
Op the post you quoted is for someone who probably came to Vegas with a dream and left broken. Nobody hates a town so much that hey become a professional troll. If you have vices his town will chew you up and spit you out. One thing I can tell you is that compared to SoCal the city is way less pretentious overall.
Both Las Vegas and SoCal have their eccentrics.

The difference is, however, is that the SoCal eccentrics take themselves too seriously. The Las Vegas eccentrics, on the other hand, tend to accept and embrace the kitsch and camp with a joy and sense of humor not found in the soulless concrete jungle known as SoCal.

guy

Old 10-26-2012, 11:09 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,083 times
Been here 5 years now, here's my take:

1. People are more friendly here. My last home in Ashburn, Va. was out of the Stepford wives, perfect homes, perfect yards and snobs to the ninth degree. Here people go out of their way to help others, I saw strangers help push broken down vehicles in 2 separate times recently.

2. Tweakers are everywhere, walk downtown San Diego and you'll see what I'm talking about.

3. The ones who are broke are by their own hand, either gambling stupidly or spending money at things they have no business doing.

4. Don't see scams too much but they are out there primarily at night when people do stupid things.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:42 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
I'm with Golfinnova on the friends thing: People are more friendly out here in Las Vegas than where I came from in southern California. If you enjoy talking to people anywhere you go, they will talk to you too. Sure, there are a few, just a few that will not say anything, so you just ignore them and move on!
If someone really wants to make friends, they will find a way. Some just want to sit around and complain and expect a friend to drop out of the sky and ring their doorbell. Good luck with that.

Tweakers: Only see them downtown and on The Strip. Never anywhere else. Unless you lump the homeless in with them, then they are around the valley here and there. I would not say everywhere. It makes it sound like they are on every corner, and they are not. A BUNCH on Fremont st. All wanting money with their cardboard signs.

Broke people: Don't know many of them. Paycheck to paycheck, plenty of them. Also know plenty of well off people.

Scams: Just go down to Fremont street. Every third person down there is trying to scam you. It is not everywhere though. More online than anywhere else and that is nationwide/worldwide.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:56 AM

80 posts, read 145,019 times
Pretty much any gas station/grocery store round the Strip area has a pan handler that I've come across. It gets annoying pretty quick when you're pumping gas and have to say "NO" to two or three of them in succession.

Keep to the middle if you wanna keep things well-rounded. You should be just as wary over condemners of Vegas as you should be white-washers of Vegas.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:22 AM

419 posts, read 907,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam451 View Post
Duly noted. However, please realize that some of these notions were also formed by people who posted on these very boards. There's some people in the "move to vegas" threads that completely regret their decision and/or actually hate the city. So, I think, Vegas is unique in that regard. ...
While I think OP's question is a fair one, your comment about LV being UNIQUE in having residents regretting their move is completely wrong- sorry.

Want a real sobering "forum watching" experience? Start going to major city forums all over the US.
This is what you'll see:

FLORIDA, TAMPA: "I made a huge mistake moving here, people are obnoxious and it's hot and sticky here!" The humidity should be illegal! We are fed up and moving to ....Wisconsin, where at least the HEAT won't kill you..."

MEANWHILE, IN WISCONSIN THREAD: "After this last bitter winter, my family has HAD IT!!" My husbands lips froze to our snowblower for God's sake!...May 1st, we are OUTTA HERE, sunny Florida, here we come!!"

The more research I did, the more I saw this phenomenon, over and over and over again.

You want to know how to pick a city?

Find ONE THING YOU LIKE a LOT, forget everything else, and move there.

There is no way to forecast any of this, and speaking of Las Vegas, it is a crapshoot. LOL.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerby View Post

You want to know how to pick a city?

Find ONE THING YOU LIKE a LOT, forget everything else, and move there.

There is no way to forecast any of this, and speaking of Las Vegas, it is a crapshoot. LOL.
Ok fair enough. I REALLY like the thought of paying zero state income tax. It means a lot to me personally and financially. I LIKE IT A LOT. I hope that's enough to get me through this transition . . ..

Old 10-27-2012, 10:45 AM

TO UPDATE EVERYONE

I still have som trepidation but I'm trying to give the city a fair shake. So I'm making a day trip to LV tomorrow to meet with a real estate agent and look at some rentals. I'll be looking in Centennial Hills with my goal being to live in total suburbia. I'll be spending most of my day there just wandering through neighborhoods and getting a feel for the place.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:03 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam451 View Post
You, dear reader, are supposed to present the facts.
No, dear poster, we're not supposed to do a god-damned thing except amuse ourselves by reading here. And if that amusement occasionally leads us to post comments or answer questions, then we do so.

But we do so at our pleasure.

I'm not here for anyone to grill me about life in Vegas and to offer rebuttals to asinine negative comments about the city that you've "heard."

You want to move here? Fine. You don't? Makes no difference to me. In fact, perhaps you can persuade a couple of other whiny malcontents to depart the city as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas