Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 10:31 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

A good share of the hippies came from middle to upper middle class families. I was a poor hippie, with poor working class parents, and I had to work during my hippie years, no long hair, and I lived with true hippies who merely went to college, and didn't have to work.

The richer hippies went International, since they could afford it with mom and dad paying the bills, they could afford to go to Amsterdam, Nepal, Goa-India.

During the 60's, I don't think Las Vegas had enough middle to upper middle class families to produce many hippies, and create a local hippie area.

As a forumer hippie, I see no traces of it here! Jerome AZ is the closest I can think of, outside Prescott, which became a hippie areas during the 60's, and perhaps Bisbee, AZ, SE of Tucson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 11:50 AM

165 posts, read 306,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VagabondZen View Post
I'm considering a move to LV and would live to find an neighborhood that is earth-friendly, hippie minded with mom & pop stores. Someplace with an art-vibe and farmers' markets.

For example someplace like:
Berkeley, CA
Portland, OR
Austin, TX
Ashville, NC
Burlington, VT
New Hope, PA
....if you're familiar with these areas.

Any suggestions would be wonderful! Thank you.
You are looking for a locale with more young people. LV is an older populace with most of its workforce composed of migrant opportunity-seekers. A whole different vibe from the liberal arts college town you seek. The UNLV campus is not ever going to become a people's republic-type bastion of leftist thought; they are worried mostly about b-ball.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:51 PM

629 posts, read 1,174,968 times
One more to add to the list: Boulder, CO.

One of the most stunning beautiful towns I've ever seen. Only problem is those damn mountain lions!

If you do choose Vegas (as we did, for the moment) there are some green-type places:
- Gilcrease Orchard
- Gilcrease Animal Sanctuary
- Springs Preserve
- Mt. Charleston
- Red Rock Canyon
- The NSPCA
- The Vegas Veg Meetup Group
- Vegas Organic Gardening Meetup Group
- Various Farmer's Markets Throughout the Valley
- Floyd Lamb State Park
- The Magical Forest
- Vegas Roots / Tonopah Community Gardens

My wife and I frequent/support these types of places and have created as crunchy an existence as possible in this gun-toting wild west town

Old 12-23-2012, 01:45 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,081,484 times
Hippies/ tree huggers/ granolas/ earth muffins, etc are predominately white and that's just the way it is. As others have stated you're not going to find what you're looking for in Las Vegas. You can live the lifestyle but if you're looking for that type of community or mindset you won't find it here.

What's your primary reason for moving cost of living? You could always head north to mt Shasta and align your chakras. Head further north to Ashland, OR. where I'm at now - tons of hippies.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:55 PM

Location: Undisclosed location in the American desert Southwest
188 posts, read 482,464 times
Portland used to be a great place. The last 10 years or so the place has become an awful place imo. I was born and raised in Portland and I can't stand the place anymore. If you want to be in a place like Portland then just move there. I lived in Boulder as well for several years and it is so much nicer than Portland although that's not a good comparison since Boulder is a smaller town. I have my problems with Las Vegas but to be honest Portland is a nightmare to me nowadays.

Please don't bring your liberal politics to Nevada, stay in those backwards, do-nothing places.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:34 PM

629 posts, read 1,174,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaned View Post

Please don't bring your liberal politics to Nevada, stay in those backwards, do-nothing places.
"Think like me, or get the f*** out!"

That's the spirit!

Old 12-23-2012, 06:43 PM

990 posts, read 1,653,420 times
Santa Fe New Mexico is crunchy.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:32 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
We may not have a crunchy district in LV but we do have some crunchy looking people in the valley.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 12-24-2012, 01:02 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
Santa Fe New Mexico is crunchy.
It sounds like the Op, who I don't think has been back, would not like Las Vegas, but would "peace out man", in Santa Fe.

[off topic]

Last edited by observer53; 12-24-2012 at 09:24 AM..

Old 12-24-2012, 09:25 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
This is turning into a city vs city thread, which would not belong in the LV forum. Please keep your answers Las Vegas related. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas