Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 09:35 PM

687 posts, read 4,405,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovegarlic View Post
wait til the novelty factor wears off. they may rename it "high and dry" in a few years.
Obviously you don't have kids. Novelty factor never wears off with water parks, I'm 44 and even I still enjoy flying down water slides.
As long as kids live in Vegas and Vegas stays hot, the park will succeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 11:32 AM

210 posts, read 449,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Well, Cowabunga Bay when it opens will be smaller than Wet 'N' Wild. There is a reason for people on the other side of town to check out Wet N Wild and if the current owner of Wet 'N' Wild decide to expand with more rides or just to offer more , then the likelihood of this park to be better than Cowabunga Bay increases.

As proven already, Wet 'N' Wild has got the customer base it needed for its operation, even more than it can handle. It can increase its customer base by offering more by way of expansion or just be content with what it has and risk losing its customer base if it cannot satisfy the demand, basing on what has transpired since it opened not long ago.

2 million residents in Clark County and the nearly 40 million visitors, I'm sure these numbers can support both water parks with or without a Wet 'N' Wild expansion.
I agree with you that the Valley can definitely support 2 water parks. However, if I was a Wet 'n' Wild owner/investor I would be cautious in regards to expansion. Again it was opening/holiday weekend. I would rather risk losing some patrons than risk an expansion that can't be supported long-term. What if Cowbunga Bay expands their park. Let the dusk settled and then make a decision. Either way I win because I love WATER parks and I will have season passes to both.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:20 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,490,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecd3easy View Post
I agree with you that the Valley can definitely support 2 water parks. However, if I was a Wet 'n' Wild owner/investor I would be cautious in regards to expansion. Again it was opening/holiday weekend. I would rather risk losing some patrons than risk an expansion that can't be supported long-term. What if Cowbunga Bay expands their park. Let the dusk settled and then make a decision. Either way I win because I love WATER parks and I will have season passes to both.
Communities in this part of town continue to grow and as I have said 2 million residents and 40 million visitors can support both parks even with an expansion. Wet 'N' Wild cannot keep up with the demand, the reason behind the park offering REFUNDS to season pass holders. If it cannot ACCOMODATE its customers, it means they've under-estimated the communities who are willing to patronize their park.

The park already started off on a wrong foot by not allowing paid season pass holders inside the park because it has reached capacity even with many others still wanting to purchase a pass.

We'll see how this one plays out. Either way, I have a pool at home, my sister has a pool at home and I can take my kayak to Lake Mead for water activities this summer if Wet 'N' Wild does not sell more tickets this season, not my loss really.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:36 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,234 times
^ it's way too early to tell whether or not they can keep up with demand. Everyone realizes that the park JUST opened and did so on a holiday weekend right?

They need to run for a while and gather data before any reliable forecasts as to the true demand can be made.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
^ it's way too early to tell whether or not they can keep up with demand. Everyone realizes that the park JUST opened and did so on a holiday weekend right?

They need to run for a while and gather data before any reliable forecasts as to the true demand can be made.

So why offer refunds and why did they stop selling season pass? Not a good business decision, not a good way to welcome the community.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:41 AM

8 posts, read 8,891 times
Cowabunga Bay is not going to open next year or ever in Las Vegas, at least not on the proposed site. The investors never paid any of the contractors for any of the work they did do prior to the announced delay. Go drive by the construction site and witness the slides and tubes out in the open and ready for the taking for anyone. Tiberti, the contractor who owns and puts up fences at construction sites around town, just took their fences down from Cowabunga Bay because they were getting the go around and not getting paid for their services. Want your own water slides in your backyard? Go down to the construction site and take them home, as they're open for the taking. I know one thing, you leave any copper exposed in the open anywhere in Southern Nevada and it will be gone in no time. I think that also with the opening of Wet n Wild, and the demand they have received, Wet n Wild will probably expand, or at least they have the possibility to expand in the area they are in. Cowabunga Bay sits in a triangular road locked area bordering Galleria, Gibson, and Boulder Highway. In the event that they were to open, and if they were indeed very busy and wanted to expand, the holdings company that owns the other 29 acres in that triangular road locked area will make the purchase price of the land so high that it would not be conceivable to expand. If Cowabunga Bay wants to do it right, they need to take their time building a new park, and it needs to be double the size of Wet n Wild.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:18 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Three recorded liens against Cowabunga. Does not sound good.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:13 PM

16 posts, read 31,140 times
I can understand why a few are upset with wet n wild's decision to simply stop selling season passes. One they never said there was limited quantities. Two, they said they would offer them through June 1rst and stopped May 24. The other complaints that it is too small, too crowded etc. have less value. So I can see where people could expect a company to say what they mean and do what they say. They got it right last year with refunds for not delivering opening as promised. This year they just seem to have done things too fast and were bitterly unprepared. For what it is worth I think the valley could sustain two parks.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recondo View Post
Cowabunga Bay is not going to open next year or ever in Las Vegas, at least not on the proposed site. The investors never paid any of the contractors for any of the work they did do prior to the announced delay. Go drive by the construction site and witness the slides and tubes out in the open and ready for the taking for anyone. Tiberti, the contractor who owns and puts up fences at construction sites around town, just took their fences down from Cowabunga Bay because they were getting the go around and not getting paid for their services. Want your own water slides in your backyard? Go down to the construction site and take them home, as they're open for the taking. I know one thing, you leave any copper exposed in the open anywhere in Southern Nevada and it will be gone in no time. I think that also with the opening of Wet n Wild, and the demand they have received, Wet n Wild will probably expand, or at least they have the possibility to expand in the area they are in. Cowabunga Bay sits in a triangular road locked area bordering Galleria, Gibson, and Boulder Highway. In the event that they were to open, and if they were indeed very busy and wanted to expand, the holdings company that owns the other 29 acres in that triangular road locked area will make the purchase price of the land so high that it would not be conceivable to expand. If Cowabunga Bay wants to do it right, they need to take their time building a new park, and it needs to be double the size of Wet n Wild.

Looks like Wet 'N' Wild has a great reason to opt for an expansion of the water park. The park need to go forward, there is enough land in the area and just considering the demand for the water park from the community. Clark County is still growing, in Spring Valley alone there are at least 4 new single family residential homes development going up and I'm sure there are others on this side of Clark County.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire rose View Post
I can understand why a few are upset with wet n wild's decision to simply stop selling season passes. One they never said there was limited quantities. Two, they said they would offer them through June 1rst and stopped May 24. The other complaints that it is too small, too crowded etc. have less value. So I can see where people could expect a company to say what they mean and do what they say. They got it right last year with refunds for not delivering opening as promised. This year they just seem to have done things too fast and were bitterly unprepared. For what it is worth I think the valley could sustain two parks.
They've under-estimated the demand from the community, no excuses really. Just go forward with the expansion! The park already got a head start from the competition so might as well take it even further!

By the way, some of my family members have season pass and they are just waiting for school to be over before visiting the water park. There will be more headaches to come for the developer regarding unhappy season pass holders if that is also the case for others who have not yet visited the park. We'll see how this plays out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas