Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 03:17 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by house2013 View Post
When I was looking for houses, prices in nlv is way cheaper than vegas nor Henderson. I was tempted to buy but knowing their financial situation, I dont want to take the risk
What risk?

I've lived in NLV for many years. We had exponential growth during the boom, and the resulting hassles with constant road-work, etc. Then the crash came, and everyone's home lost value. Not just in NLV, all over Clark County. We had some bluster from the police and fire unions over their pay raises being frozen, but it was CCSD fire that was shown to be milking the system, not NLV.

NLV also has a more professional police force than Metro or Henderson. (IMHO)

Our previous mayors overspent, trying to keep up with growth, and also with a Pollyanna view that the good times would never end. That's unfortunate because the worst thing that could happen (and probably will) is that NLV will be rolled back into unincorporated Clark County, like much of Spring Valley and the Summerlin area.

That would result in NLV being under Metro's jurisdiction, no more convenient, combined water, sewer, trash / recycling bills, and possibly lower property taxes. Not a huge risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 04:54 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,490,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Research shows why Las Vegas can't attract the high-tech, car-averse, mass-transit-loving millennials to Las Vegas, if they're going to need a car to live here, they ain't coming!

L.A. is financing their ever-growing light rail and subway systems with a half-percent sales tax, approved by 68% of Los Angeles voters, and with matching funds from the Federal government.

Take that half-percent sales tax for the police and shift it to mass transit! No additional taxes needed!

Forgotten, roads are heavily subsidized as well!

This is going to be quite the interesting show for Las Vegas, the demise and the resurrection of North Las Vegas!

Oh please you very well know why Clark County cannot attract the high tech, higher paying jobs here. Education, the county lacks the populace with a high level of education. Heck, even IKEA does not want to open a store here because of the low level of educational attainment by the population.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:28 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,072,689 times
Very true.. A large tech employer like Zappos would never locate here.. wait a minute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Oh please you very well know why Clark County cannot attract the high tech, higher paying jobs here. Education, the county lacks the populace with a high level of education. Heck, even IKEA does not want to open a store here because of the low level of educational attainment by the population.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:33 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
And I would add that the Culinary is probably a worse problem for those who could well relocate to Las Vegas. And UNLV is probably more an issue than CCSD. The UNLV problem is solvable.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:16 PM

499 posts, read 1,059,597 times
I wouldn't mind if NLV was taken over by the state or Clark County if it meant that the public union contracts were renegotiated on a more sustainable path.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:03 PM

555 posts, read 775,092 times
if State took over NLV I would imagine they would abolish the union contracts; State of Nevada employees do not have collective bargaining rights and the state law prohibits them from going on strike. Not a big fan of unions in public service but also not a fan of unfair wages.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:47 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,072,689 times
The union contracts don't last forever anyways. Usually the contracts are about five years long. After the contract expires, the city is free to do whatever it wishes, including cutting salaries. The employees can strike, but that's not unique to public sector.

The end date should be approaching very soon I'd guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_chief View Post
I wouldn't mind if NLV was taken over by the state or Clark County if it meant that the public union contracts were renegotiated on a more sustainable path.

Old 02-02-2014, 04:57 AM

645 posts, read 706,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
NLV would be well on the way to stability but for the local version of Prop 13. Effectively the NLV income from property tax was cut better than in half as the housing disaster unfolded. But now things are a good ways up again NLV should be feeling better...but they are not. They are nailed by the way the law works. When the housing prices went down to half they lost half their property tax revenue. Now things are back up like 40%...but they don't get their revenue back...it come back only at the 3% or 8% per annum provided for in the law.

I would not be surprised to see some relief for all the cities in the next legislature. Getting nailed as the property values drop is one thing. But not being able to at least partially recover as things come back is tough.

I just got a house how do they calculate the property tax? is it 1% of the sold price?

they say you can dispute property tax if it's too high, how do you dispute it exactly and is the success rate high?

Old 02-02-2014, 05:49 AM

727 posts, read 1,056,816 times
One of the problems with the union contracts is the retirement benefits. They are very generous and I don't think existing employees would be affected in a new contract.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:12 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVguy View Post
I just got a house how do they calculate the property tax? is it 1% of the sold price?

they say you can dispute property tax if it's too high, how do you dispute it exactly and is the success rate high?
They base it on what the CC assessor values the property at. Property taxes are pretty low in the valley. I can't imagine you'd want to dispute them, but here's the link to the assessor's page.

Assessor Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas