Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:25 PM

625 posts, read 797,684 times

Advertisements

When I moved to Las Vegas, I applied for the sub license for Clark County. Only problem is it really took 5 months to get through the entire process. But once I did, I was subbing EVERY day. Their online system is awesome. You can choose where and when. Eventually, I found about 3/4 schools I consistently subbed at. Principals notice and thats more or less how I got my full time teaching position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 09:38 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,486,768 times
Congratulations!!!
I think you will be fine on that income, I live on less but I don't gamble or see shows. I lived in the areas around San Bernardino for 25 years. First Redlands, then Mentone, then Yucaipa, then a house share in East Highland. I looked at some house shares in the newer area of Fontana, with the huge houses. I was just Leary of how "old" Fontana had become like San Bernardino. In my experience, when an economy is so bad, where are the burglaries going to happen?
In Redlands and the new area of Fontana. I had a good friend who lived in Bloomington and would have given that area a try but she had an electrical house fire, which I hear is common there.
Enough about Fontana. I tried too.
You will love Las Vegas, especially not minding the heat. I love the state and national parks around the area. There are some really nice city parks as well.
Great news about the teaching jobs!!!!
I agree, you should come out to look at the rental before you move. Sure you will love it.
This is a great forum for help with finding doctors, evaluating schools, shopping, etc.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:43 PM

7 posts, read 7,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by localinsight View Post
Congratulations!!!
I think you will be fine on that income, I live on less but I don't gamble or see shows. I lived in the areas around San Bernardino for 25 years. First Redlands, then Mentone, then Yucaipa, then a house share in East Highland. I looked at some house shares in the newer area of Fontana, with the huge houses. I was just Leary of how "old" Fontana had become like San Bernardino. In my experience, when an economy is so bad, where are the burglaries going to happen?
In Redlands and the new area of Fontana. I had a good friend who lived in Bloomington and would have given that area a try but she had an electrical house fire, which I hear is common there.
Enough about Fontana. I tried too.
You will love Las Vegas, especially not minding the heat. I love the state and national parks around the area. There are some really nice city parks as well.
Great news about the teaching jobs!!!!
I agree, you should come out to look at the rental before you move. Sure you will love it.
This is a great forum for help with finding doctors, evaluating schools, shopping, etc.
You are right about older Fontana becoming more like San Bernardino. I've noticed that the actual city of SB has become increasingly unsafe (if you can imagine it being worse than it already was). I'm glad that someone from my specific area has so many agreeable things to say about the city of Vegas and the state in general(:

As far as gambling and seeing shows, we visit Vegas about twice a year and when we do we don't even partake in those activities. Usually end up enjoying some of the restaurants the city has to offer, seeing a movie, and relaxing.

I have a few more general questions about electricity and grocery shopping. I've read really good reviews about Glaziers Food Marketplace and I was wondering if groceries are reasonably priced at this local grocer? Also, we are looking into renting a 2 bed 2 bath condo (around 900 sqft) and I know turning the air off during the day won't be an option during the summer months. Should I expect to see electricity bills higher than $300 during this time? I know that there are many significant variables like the direction building faces, insulation, etc. but I'm trying to come up with a roundabout figure.

Thanks again!

Old 07-11-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bps401 View Post
When I moved to Las Vegas, I applied for the sub license for Clark County. Only problem is it really took 5 months to get through the entire process. But once I did, I was subbing EVERY day. Their online system is awesome. You can choose where and when. Eventually, I found about 3/4 schools I consistently subbed at. Principals notice and thats more or less how I got my full time teaching position.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention! I visited the CCSD webpage and found that the district will not start the application process until I have a Las Vegas address. I will have to get the ball rolling the day I find a place!
Are there any particular assignments/schools that you would advise me not to take? Schools that you recommend? Also, I read something on the website about training courses that must be completed during the hiring process and I've been unable to find very much information about them online.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:57 AM

15,867 posts, read 14,495,108 times
Cupcake,

I'm assuming you have no kids (you didn't mention any.) So you're basically available to work, correct? While you're applying for a sub license, you can scrape up any old job. Even if you make $10K/year, that now gives you a $53K budget instead of $43K. Since you can likely get by reasonably well on the $43K, you'll be fine, because you'll likely to have more money than that to work with.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Cupcake,

I'm assuming you have no kids (you didn't mention any.) So you're basically available to work, correct? While you're applying for a sub license, you can scrape up any old job. Even if you make $10K/year, that now gives you a $53K budget instead of $43K. Since you can likely get by reasonably well on the $43K, you'll be fine, because you'll likely to have more money than that to work with.
No kids yet, and I'm available to work. I have actually been applying to jobs all over the city. Clerical, data entry, etc. I hope I can find something!(:

Old 07-12-2014, 12:41 PM

15,867 posts, read 14,495,108 times
Your still in Cali, correct? If so, you're going to be caught in a catch 22.

Employers in Vegas don't like hiring from out of town, unless they need a specific person with a specific skill they can't find locally. Given your situation, that's not you. You may have to move in, and show a Vegas address/phone number to get seriously considered.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Your still in Cali, correct? If so, you're going to be caught in a catch 22.

Employers in Vegas don't like hiring from out of town, unless they need a specific person with a specific skill they can't find locally. Given your situation, that's not you. You may have to move in, and show a Vegas address/phone number to get seriously considered.
That's the main reason why we aren't accounting for my salary in our budget. I wanted to make sure we can make it on the one income until I'm able to find a job. I hope once we relocate I can find something fairly quickly, but I'm certainly not expecting to find something ASAP.

The whole not hiring people out of town thing actually makes a lot of sense though, and I really can't blame businesses for taking this approach with hiring. Just ends up sucking for me haha!

Old 07-15-2014, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,139 times
Cupcakebear,

Congrats to your fiancé on the job offer!

My wife and I are in the early planning stages of our relocation to Las Vegas (from SoCal.) What I was wondering was how long it took for your fiancé to receive the job offer from Caesars (I'm assuming that your fiancé applied for the job online)?

Old 07-15-2014, 01:06 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,789,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDude View Post
Cupcakebear,

Congrats to your fiancé on the job offer!

My wife and I are in the early planning stages of our relocation to Las Vegas (from SoCal.) What I was wondering was how long it took for your fiancé to receive the job offer from Caesars (I'm assuming that your fiancé applied for the job online)?
Cool name, bro..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas