Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 09:19 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,634 times

Advertisements

Having lived in SoCal, DC and Vegas I think Vegas takes the cake. I've never driven so little and seem so many wrecks.

I was very proud of driving two paid off econoboxes, but this place rattled me into buying a big ole Toyota sienna.

More near misses in my last year here than in my entire driving life.

A month ago I was on the 215 and was going 10 over in the right lane, one car was coming up behind me and no other cars in sight, this jerk tailgates me flashing their brights for a full mile before getting into the left lane to flip me off and then cut me off and slammed on their brakes. Why? Who the heck does that?

Furthermore, I've seen so many red lights run (in their defense, the timing on these lights is horrid).

There's a darn good reason my insurance doubled upon moving here, and it's not due to theft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 09:26 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,680,050 times
I am investing in a Dash Cam.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:50 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I visited San Diego once. Once. I'll never return if it means I have to drive there.
Just once? Ahhh man...You are missing out. I was there last month and we are taking the girls to the zoo next weekend. Great food and fresh ocean air. Give it one more try.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:51 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
I am investing in a Dash Cam.
Same here. I recently told my wife that this is what I want for my next birthday. Almost all of the car stereo installation places in town installs them.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:14 PM

48 posts, read 64,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
Nevertheless, I still love living here.

Weather and outdoor activities!!
+1 for me also (I wish the haters that don't want to be here would just leave town already)

Old 03-16-2015, 10:19 PM

550 posts, read 637,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Must have been a REALLY wide car, as those streets run parallel
Lol! I meant to type Eastern and Wigwam

Old 03-17-2015, 12:09 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Just once? Ahhh man...You are missing out. I was there last month and we are taking the girls to the zoo next weekend. Great food and fresh ocean air. Give it one more try.
Nope. Not a chance. We got to some point on I-15 where all the drivers apparently learned to drive at the Fifth, Seventh and Ninth Circles of Hell.

I drive reasonably fast. 80. 90. No problem. Whatever the locals are doing, that's what I do too. But I maintain safe following distance when I drive. (Well, duh! Who doesn't do that? Answer: Southern Californians.) Maniac SoCal drivers would race to get past me because.... I never could figure that out. Because they could I guess. Then they'd dart into the space I maintain with the car in front of me. And then they'd SLAM ON THE BRAKES.

This happened so often I resorted to tailgating everyone and kept one foot on the brake. Never again. I will never, ever, ever drive in SoCal again. I'll fly to the Bay area where people are more reasonable and then rent a car and drive to Carmel/Monterey/Sonoma. There are still some bad drivers up there. But it's not Fifth/Seventh/Ninth Circle of Hell bad.

It's five hours to San Diego by car. It's six hours to Hawaii by airplane. If I want warm ocean breezes and fresh fish, I'll fly to Hawaii, thanks.

Seriously, take their cars away and make them ride horses.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:09 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
If you are second in line at a red light and the car in front of you doesn't leave immediately when it turns green that might be me.

Where we moved from everyone learned to count to three before leaving a red light. Odds were a car was going to go through the intersection and T bone you if you didn't.

And all the stupid crap you see on the freeway we saw there as well. People in rush hour traffic waiting until the last possible moment to cross three lanes of traffic to exit. And if they couldn't get into the lane to their right they hit the brakes so they wouldn't go past that exit. I traveled that section often enough that I would recognize someone who was about to do it (since I'd watched them do it many times before) and ease up on the gas in anticipation of yet another wreck.

And we did this dance on snowy, icy freeways as well as in summer.

I also see this on main streets here. We have dubbed it the Las Vegas Slide. Start in the left/right lane and slide across to the right/left lane and slam on the brakes to make your turn.

Roundabouts are a thing of beauty. Not. People who turn right from the center lane should be horse whipped. Just sayin'.

We find the allowing of U turns to be quite entertaining at times. I'm learning how to do it. I'm also learning to warn the Mrs. when I'm about to do one if she's not aware it's coming.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:12 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Seriously, take their cars away and make them ride horses.
Pigs. Much more entertaining for the rest of us.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:23 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,862,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
Here is a recent driving phenomenon in my area.
I have to agree, Vegas drivers ARE THE WORST. I have driven through better than half of the states in this country. I have driven in Korea, Guam, The Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Peru, Canada, Mexico and other places where the concept of traffic rules and laws simply does not exist. I have never seen anything as bad as the stupid things I see in Vegas.

I understand from friends that India, might be worse. I don’t know, I have never been there.
Nothing I'd seen in any other country I've visited could prepare me for what I saw in India.

Dotted lines separating lanes are completely ignored. It's very typical to have three lanes of cars where there are two lanes painted on the pavement. On the freeway, lanes are sometimes spontaneously created in order to take advantage of an opening the width of a car plus 1/1000th of an inch.

People I know there are unwilling to spend a lot on a car, knowing the doors on both sides are going to get rubbed in traffic on a regular basis.

Then there was the family of five I saw on the freeway on a 125cc motorcycle, with an old diesel bus about 6" off their rear wheel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: