Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 04:48 PM

17 posts, read 14,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
You're better off checking those out at the gun show, where you'll see every make and model of those, from a hundred different dealers, than at WM, where they have 1-3 in the case.
I agree, but Walmart is clearancing there selection, they will no longer carry any AR-15 rifles. Looks like maybe a good deal and a good place just to quickly stop by after work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 05:48 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethro80 View Post
If someone is hurt or killed in a car accident by a drunk driver, everyone blames the driver, not the car. If someone is murdered, of course it's the fault of the firearm, not the person.
You sound like a reasonable, responsible gun owner, but this argument is flawed.

In both cases above, the person is always blamed, not the tool they used, so what you stated is simply incorrect. When you (or any gun enthusiast) believe people want to take away their guns, it's really just a call for regulating the people and their use of them... again, putting the responsibility on the person, not the gun itself.

Also, there is a flaw with comparing guns with cars. Cars are HIGHLY regulated. You must be licensed to use one. You must pass an eye test, driving test and written exam to prove you are safe. There are no such requirements for guns.

Cars = designed to safely get a person from point A to B. When used as intended, no one dies.
Guns = designed to kill people or things. When used as intended, someone or something dies.

The consequences are far higher when guns are "properly used"... that's why they need at LEAST as much regulation as cars.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:54 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
And that's why the gun nuts and the firearms industry has been shoveling as many guns as possible into society. They don't want it to be even FEASIBLE to regulate firearms like cars.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:25 PM

145 posts, read 147,296 times
Firearms are regulated. Cars are regulated. People still get killed. This really has nothing to do with the post, but how many people do you think are driving in the valley illegally? And yes, I know there are illegal guns too. Criminals are always gonna be able to get a gun if they want to. Just like druggies can get drugs and they are highly regulated. I don't have any figures or anything, but look at the amount of shootings in cities or states that have very strict gun laws. Criminals will be criminals no matter where they are or what the laws are.
And yes, some legal gun owners do want to buy guns without a background check etc because they don't want the govt to know they have them. I don't mind going into the store, filling out the 4473 form, wait to have the check done etc. Whether or not the govt is gonna come for the guns, who knows. I lost all mine in a boating accident anyways.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:27 PM

Oh, and let's hope FromBoston finds what he is looking for and sets a good example for future gun owners. Enjoy your new hobby, but fair warning, it can get expensive quick!

Old 08-26-2015, 07:23 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,574,906 times
Scoop, what do you suggest when it comes to gun control? I'm assuming you want them off the street. Since the only possible confiscation would be from law abiding citizens, what would happen then? Would everything be great if only criminals had guns? I've never understood this part of the gun-grabbers plan. How do you get all the guns from the criminals?

Mexico is a fine example of this. No one but police, military and criminals can have a gun. How's that working out?

Old 08-26-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Scoop, what do you suggest when it comes to gun control? I'm assuming you want them off the street. Since the only possible confiscation would be from law abiding citizens, what would happen then? Would everything be great if only criminals had guns? I've never understood this part of the gun-grabbers plan. How do you get all the guns from the criminals?

Mexico is a fine example of this. No one but police, military and criminals can have a gun. How's that working out?
Implementing common sense regulation is not "gun-grabbing"

How about these proposals for starters:
-Require licensing with mandatory safety training (nobody whines about having drivers licenses which is the same thing with cars)
-Require proof that the guns are locked up at home, away from kids
-Require psychological testing so that we can stop these crazy nuts from committing mass murder
-Get rid of the gun show loophole

None of the above hamper the 2nd Amendment!

Contrary to the constant NRA mantra, gun control actually works and places that have done it are NOT more dangerous.

More guns = more crime. It's been proven:
Homicide | Harvard Injury Control Research Center | Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health

The Geography of Gun Deaths - The Atlantic

Old 08-26-2015, 09:00 PM

This gun control loophole, exactly what do you think it is? Going to a gun show is no different than going to a gun shop. Most sellers are licensed dealers therefore you must fill out paperwork. If there happens to be a private seller, he can sell according to whatever the state law is. Just like you or I could. Most private sellers ask the buyer for ID, etc. and have a bill of sale. If the buyer doesn't agree to that, in my experience, the private seller won't sell.
Also, if the crazy nuts are gonna use a gun illegally. They are gonna get one illegally more often than not. Background, mental and whatever other checks aren't gonna help that one bit. Heck I think a lot of drivers out here should have a mental exam done. Also, if you teach you're kid like I was taught, having firearms in the home won't be a problem.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:50 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
I've already laid out what I think we should do about guns. Every time one of these "watch all the boys trip over each other's johnsons while they rush to spew out the same tired crapola about guns and personal security" thread, someone asks me what I think we should do about guns.

So google it if you like.

If you want to know what I'd like to do about gun CULTURE, google "Jim Jeffries" and "guns." He's an Australian comedian who comes very close to how I feel about swaggering American boys and their guns. I'd link it but the language is coarse. I challenge rabid gun enthusiasts to watch the 15 minute clip and then get back to me about the points made.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethro80 View Post
This gun control loophole, exactly what do you think it is? Going to a gun show is no different than going to a gun shop. Most sellers are licensed dealers therefore you must fill out paperwork. If there happens to be a private seller, he can sell according to whatever the state law is. Just like you or I could. Most private sellers ask the buyer for ID, etc. and have a bill of sale. If the buyer doesn't agree to that, in my experience, the private seller won't sell.
Also, if the crazy nuts are gonna use a gun illegally. They are gonna get one illegally more often than not. Background, mental and whatever other checks aren't gonna help that one bit. Heck I think a lot of drivers out here should have a mental exam done. Also, if you teach you're kid like I was taught, having firearms in the home won't be a problem.
I love how you use "most" and "in my experience" when it comes to the gun show loophole. Let's have some consistency across the board, shall we? Your 2nd Amendment rights are not at risk with some consistency there.

As for the rest, you're using a personal anecdote to justify how the rest of the country operates... it's just not the gun-toting utopia you think it is. As for the standard "criminals will do criminal things" mantra, that logic has been busted here many times. It's like you don't live in a country of laws when you say stuff like that. Why have stop lights if criminals will run them? Why have medical licenses if people can just operate on you in their living room? Your points are not only hackneyed, they've been debunked over and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas