Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 05:24 PM

162 posts, read 242,182 times

Advertisements

I have recently retired and relocated to LV. I want to learn to play the guitar. I have looked at the on-line lessons, but it doesn't cut it for me. There used to be a Meet-Up.com group on this, but it has disappeared. I don't have a lot of disposal income, so I am looking for free or low-cost. Haven't found any yet. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 06:12 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,782,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvansan View Post
I have recently retired and relocated to LV. I want to learn to play the guitar. I have looked at the on-line lessons, but it doesn't cut it for me. There used to be a Meet-Up.com group on this, but it has disappeared. I don't have a lot of disposal income, so I am looking for free or low-cost. Haven't found any yet. Any ideas?
I am not sure what they charge, but I have a few friends who are instructors. PM me budget if you have one and I'll shop it around for you.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:08 PM

Sent you a PM Raiderman

Old 10-20-2015, 07:51 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,072,055 times
Guitar lessons aren't too expensive. I'm not sure why there would be an expectation that you could get free lessons, instructors deserve to be paid for their time.

Typical rates if you go to the instructor's location are $25-$30 for a half hour lesson, which is typical. More if they come to you.

Craigslist is a good place to find instructors.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:29 PM

I am not trying to to pursue empathy WestieJeff, but I am in a temporary position of having to be living off my savings until my Social Security begins in mid January. $25-30 1/2 hour for a lesion may not be too much for you, but for me it is a weeks worth of gas for my car. I don't have an "expectation", but just thought I would ask. I just thought some people maybe aware of group or individual lessons for Seniors. Is that not one of the uses of this site? Thanks for taking the time to post your response.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:10 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,072,055 times
Sorry, you're right. I'm not aware of any free guitar lessons. Sometimes the city rec centers have music classes, they may be cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvansan View Post
Is that not one of the uses of this site? Thanks for taking the time to post your response.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:12 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,114,160 times
Just because you're poor doesn't mean someone else is going to take their time to teach you something for free. You shouldn't expect them too.
If you can't afford it, youtube is the way to go. They get paid per view, so that's at least contributing something to them.
There is a wealth of knowledge available on youtube, and it's often times better than you would find in person.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:55 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,988,924 times
Rocksmith

It doesn't obviate the need for instruction. But it goes a long, long way.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:36 PM

204 posts, read 318,837 times
Youtube. Lot's of good lessons on there for free.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:17 PM

390 posts, read 379,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Just because you're poor doesn't mean someone else is going to take their time to teach you something for free. You shouldn't expect them too.
If you can't afford it, youtube is the way to go. They get paid per view, so that's at least contributing something to them.
There is a wealth of knowledge available on youtube, and it's often times better than you would find in person.
You guys are brutal. He never said he expected to get free lessons. He was simply asking if anyone knew of any. You never know in Vegas what might be going on. Give the guy a break sheesh

My daughter taught herself a lot from looking on You Tube. I would check there too as others said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas