Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2009, 10:58 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyjimb View Post
Vegas is totally dependant on the world coming here to spend their money. Without people coming to Vegas, our city will implode as it is doing now. Vegas was the first to be hit by the recession and will be the last to recover. From the financial advisors I deal with, they expect a recovery in late 2012.

I am not trying to blast Vegas. I want millions of people to come here every day so the locals can have a great life. I love Vegas but it is time for me to relocate before I lose everything.

sure you are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 02:00 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
C

Current job is ending. Have an offer in San Francisco.
So you are leaving somewhere that has a bad job market, to a state that is even in much worse shape than Nevada? I also hope they are going to pay you twice as much as the cost of living expenses are nearly double what they are here. I wish you the best, but I do not think going to San Francisco is a wise decision at all right now.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:19 AM

106 posts, read 222,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
So you are leaving somewhere that has a bad job market, to a state that is even in much worse shape than Nevada? I also hope they are going to pay you twice as much as the cost of living expenses are nearly double what they are here. I wish you the best, but I do not think going to San Francisco is a wise decision at all right now.
How can I turn down an $80,000 yr job? You can't!!!!
Granted Calif has problems but the bay area is doing great. Remember the state of California was recover first then the rest with last Vegas in last place.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:21 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Granted Calif has problems but the bay area is doing great. Remember the state of California was recover first then the rest with last Vegas in last place.
That is a whole different ballgame. For example, I make $20,000 a year here in Vegas. If I got offered a job in San Fran for $20,000 a year, I would not take it. But, for $80,000 a year, I would be on the first plane out. Hell, for $80,000 a year I would move to Alaska if I had to. Knowing this, you have made the right choice.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:12 AM

54 posts, read 128,368 times
Quote:
Vegas is totally dependant on the world coming here to spend their money. Without people coming to Vegas, our city will implode as it is doing now. Vegas was the first to be hit by the recession and will be the last to recover. From the financial advisors I deal with, they expect a recovery in late 2012.

I am not trying to blast Vegas. I want millions of people to come here every day so the locals can have a great life. I love Vegas but it is time for me to relocate before I lose everything.
While it's true that Vegas is wholly dependant on tourists, people are still coming in droves. Las Vegas has the highest occupancy in the nation (83% las month, if I remember correctly). The issue is that the room rates have plummeted. That is NOT the fault of the tourists, it's the hotel properties doing.

Vegas is not imploding, either. All this doom and gloom stuff is really getting old.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,561 times
hi,

i am considering moving to las vegas and so would like to get an idea of the best areas to look for property in?

someone has already mentioned the Summerlin and Green Vally areas... would this also include the Summerlin Hills, Green Valley South, Green Valley (Golf Village), and Green Valley Ranch areas? Also are there any other areas in Las Vegas which should seriously be considered when looking to buy a good value property in a safe, secure, clean and friendly neighbourhood?

many thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have...

kind regards,
j

Old 08-03-2009, 11:02 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy0000 View Post
hi,

i am considering moving to las vegas and so would like to get an idea of the best areas to look for property in?

someone has already mentioned the Summerlin and Green Vally areas... would this also include the Summerlin Hills, Green Valley South, Green Valley (Golf Village), and Green Valley Ranch areas? Also are there any other areas in Las Vegas which should seriously be considered when looking to buy a good value property in a safe, secure, clean and friendly neighbourhood?

many thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have...

kind regards,
j

Hi there,

Just for info purposes, there are so many informative threads on this here. You can go up to the search field and search this. I don't say that to be snotty, but so that you don't miss out on all the wonderful info that has been written about this subject.

I think the NW has great deals on homes, where you get more home for the money and the area is wonderful.

Good luck!

Old 08-03-2009, 12:50 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,665,720 times
Quote:
Best of luck in California. I'm originally from the North Bay. Cost of living, etc, I'd recommend Santa Rosa, if you have a choice. There's lots of stuff to do, and San Francisco is only an hour away.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:25 AM

122 posts, read 359,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgs63 View Post
Rockstar, jobs are hard to come by everywhere. You can't single out Las Vegas for that and that alone.
but 1 out of 470 homes are in Foreclosure not like other states

with people in home the job rate gets lower

Old 08-16-2009, 12:58 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
That is a whole different ballgame. For example, I make $20,000 a year here in Vegas. If I got offered a job in San Fran for $20,000 a year, I would not take it. But, for $80,000 a year, I would be on the first plane out. Hell, for $80,000 a year I would move to Alaska if I had to. Knowing this, you have made the right choice.
Wow, 20k a year and living in Vegas.. That would seem hard, Well in my point of view.

I got offered a really great job here in Vegas, But thats not why I moved even though it pays damn good, I have always liked vegas. I moved recently from Albuquerque.. well I still have my home there, but so far I'am enjoying it and no where near overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas