Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 01:13 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times

Advertisements

I agree it's a real pain. If I had a female child, I would be telling her to NEVER change her legal name for any reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 02:24 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,074,309 times
The whole Real ID thing makes complete and total sense to me. I have no idea why people are fuming about it.

If you live in Kentucky and they choose to accept your high school yearbook photo and name printed in the yearbook as evidence to issue you a Kentucky drivers license, how can Nevada use your Kentucky driver's license as proof of anything? The point is every state has had independent discretion on how they issue driver's licenses yet they are used for a variety of purposes across state lines. It makes sense to have a minimum standard of documentation for the primary piece of identification most use.

Since Real ID is the first time there has been any federal rules on what documents are required to issue a driver's license, of course you'll need to produce proof from your birth certificate forward and document everything. 25 years from now when everyone has been on Real ID for awhile then I would expect you could use your existing Real ID compliant drivers license to get you a new one without a huge paper trail.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:54 PM

698 posts, read 986,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Real ID standards are federal. Why would you blame a state agency?
I'm pissed at the state agency because on their form, it states that the required documents are the same, and she was told as someone else pointed out earlier in the thread that this has been the "standard". Clearly if it has, this state agency did not follow standards as they issued my wife a license without this document. When she pointed this out to him the guy was a dick to her. Be a dick to me, as I probably deserve it, there was no reason to be a dick to her. If you knew my wife you'd know what I mean. If you're going to issue licenses against standards, expect someone to ask about it and be confused when you issued something before against standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
The whole Real ID thing makes complete and total sense to me. I have no idea why people are fuming about it.
See above

I suppose what I'm saying is be consistent for Christ's sake. I don't give a crap what the rule is, we'll follow it, we follow all the damn rules, just be F'ing consistent!

Old 09-20-2016, 03:09 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,074,309 times
Likely the "standard" documents required to issue any driver's license have changed since your wife received her license. RealID has only been available in NV for two or so years. When that rolled out it pretty much overhauled everything. Anything issued prior to RealID roll out was likely issued under a very different set of rules.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:15 PM

698 posts, read 986,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
Likely the "standard" documents required to issue any driver's license have changed since your wife received her license. RealID has only been available in NV for two or so years. When that rolled out it pretty much overhauled everything. Anything issued prior to RealID roll out was likely issued under a very different set of rules.
Nice try. Mr. Personality at the DMV said she couldn't have obtained her original NV DL four years ago without it as it was a standard requirement. Do I have a copy of what the requirements were then, no, so we have to go by what he said. What I can tell you is that my wife DID NOT have a copy of her marriage license from her first marriage four years ago.

Just saying be consistent . . . oh, and don't be a dick (DMV guy).

Last edited by qingguy; 09-20-2016 at 03:25 PM..

Old 09-20-2016, 03:35 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
I think it has been determined that the original person did it wrong. I'd say just get the documents together, get it done, and move on. Once she has the NEW one she will be set, unless she divorces you and her name changes again.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:36 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,680,050 times
In 2021, unless you don't plan to airtravel, everyone will need Real ID to check in at the gates.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:20 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
In 2021, unless you don't plan to airtravel, everyone will need Real ID to check in at the gates.
That's going to be a good time the first year. * note to self. No air travel in 2021*

Old 09-24-2016, 07:30 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
Not exactly true. A passport, and several other forms of ID will work, even in 2021--unless we are teleporting by then

Old 09-24-2016, 08:29 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,031,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
Not exactly true. A passport, and several other forms of ID will work, even in 2021--unless we are teleporting by then
Here is the full list:

Quote:
3.Prepare for the checkpoint: If you are concerned that your state-issued driver’s license or photo ID may not be accepted by TSA
beginning January 22, 2018, apply for an alternative identification document well ahead of your planned travel dates. Ensure you have
an acceptable ID and boarding pass ready before arriving at the airport. Refer to the current list of acceptable IDs below or at
tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification:
• Driver’s licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent) in accordance with REAL
ID enforcement schedule described above.
• U.S. passport
• U.S. passport card
• DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
• U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians)
• Permanent resident card
• Border crossing card
• DHS-designated enhanced driver’s license
• Airline or airport-issued ID (if issued under a TSA-approved security plan)
• Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
• HSPD-12 PIV card
• Foreign government-issued passport
• Canadian provincial driver’s license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
• Transportation worker identification credential
• Immigration and Naturalization Service Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas