Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 10:05 AM

698 posts, read 985,592 times

Advertisements

Wife is renewing NV DL and we figure she should bite the bullet and do the Real ID version (don't know if they do standard anymore). She takes in what she thought was all required paperwork INCLUDING her valid NV drivers license.

She is denied a Real ID because her current marriage certificate doesn't list her birth name as she was married once before. Example:
Birth certificate - Sally Smith
She marries in the 90's, new name - Sally Jones
Divorces in 90's, keeps married name - Sally Jones
Marries in 2010's (our marriage), new name Sally White
Even with a current NV DL, passport, social security card, marriage license (including name change) etc. they told her they could not issue one and that she had to bring in her marriage certificate from the 90's.

I'm sorry but who is carrying around their marriage certificate from a failed marriage, honestly. I could see maybe the divorce decree but the marriage license?

Anyone else experience this, how'd you deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 10:31 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,288,122 times
That is pretty standard stuff, really. It's a pain, but you have to show a paper trail of the name changes. You will need a certified copy if you don't have one already, and you can order one here:

https://www.vitalchek.com/marriage-records

They likely won't accept anything other than certified even if you have the original ink signed one.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:44 AM

799 posts, read 708,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qingguy View Post
Wife is renewing NV DL and we figure she should bite the bullet and do the Real ID version (don't know if they do standard anymore). She takes in what she thought was all required paperwork INCLUDING her valid NV drivers license.

She is denied a Real ID because her current marriage certificate doesn't list her birth name as she was married once before. Example:
Birth certificate - Sally Smith
She marries in the 90's, new name - Sally Jones
Divorces in 90's, keeps married name - Sally Jones
Marries in 2010's (our marriage), new name Sally White
Even with a current NV DL, passport, social security card, marriage license (including name change) etc. they told her they could not issue one and that she had to bring in her marriage certificate from the 90's.

I'm sorry but who is carrying around their marriage certificate from a failed marriage, honestly. I could see maybe the divorce decree but the marriage license?

Anyone else experience this, how'd you deal with it.
Yep, we went through the same b.s. when we moved here. Wife had a valid CA d/l for the past 45 years, had divorce decree, and all other paperwork showing the change of name, but they would not accept anything other than a marriage certificate. So, we had to drive back to CA, pay another $30 or so to get a copy of a marriage from nearly 40 years ago, wait about 6 weeks for it to come in the mail, and make another trip to the dmv. They looked at it for about three seconds, and clicked on the computer, and things went smooth from there on.

I could see it if it was the first d/l you ever had, but this is too much. Why penalize and inconvenience American citizens? I try and tell anyone moving here from another state to read the dmv link about this, and get all of he needed documentation before they come. It will save a ton of frustration.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
That is pretty standard stuff, really. It's a pain, but you have to show a paper trail of the name changes. You will need a certified copy if you don't have one already, and you can order one here:

https://www.vitalchek.com/marriage-records

They likely won't accept anything other than certified even if you have the original ink signed one.
I won't argue this, however, according to DMV-505 form both Real ID Card and Standard Card require the same documents. Form states regarding documents for Real ID "same documents required as standard card". She did not have to produce this when she was given her NV DL. Nor when she lived in CA was she ever required to present her original marriage license. Guess everyone is dropping the ball . . .

Old 09-20-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhead View Post
I could see it if it was the first d/l you ever had, but this is too much. Why penalize and inconvenience American citizens? I try and tell anyone moving here from another state to read the dmv link about this, and get all of he needed documentation before they come. It will save a ton of frustration.
I completely agree, she HAS a valid NV license that she received under four years ago when we moved here from California. Had this happened when she originally applied for a NV license, I suppose I could see the point, new license in new state, why count on CA DMV doing their job when she got her license there, new state you're starting over. But come on NV DMV, you issued a license once, if it wasn't for the Real ID she'd just renew it, no new paperwork at all LOL.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I won't argue this, however, according to DMV-505 form both Real ID Card and Standard Card require the same documents. Form states regarding documents for Real ID "same documents required as standard card". She did not have to produce this when she was given her NV DL. Nor when she lived in CA was she ever required to present her original marriage license. Guess everyone is dropping the ball . . .
I had to get a certified copy of my marriage license (I am divorced, kept the name) and birth certificate when I got my AZ license and Arizona is not even REAL ID compliant yet, so I when I said "standard" stuff I meant it should be expected. I tried to give them my original marriage license, signed in ink, but that wasn't good enough, I had to order and wait for a certified copy.

I also included the same documents when applying for a passport.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I had to get a certified copy of my marriage license (I am divorced, kept the name) and birth certificate when I got my AZ license and Arizona is not even REAL ID compliant yet, so I when I said "standard" stuff I meant it should be expected. I tried to give them my original marriage license, signed in ink, but that wasn't good enough, I had to order and wait for a certified copy.

I also included the same documents when applying for a passport.
I understand what you're saying. I was simply pointing out that if this is "standard" my wife was not required to produce this document when she applied for her "standard" drivers license (in two states). So if it has been "standard", in her experience no one has been following the "standard".

Called DMV to point this out, know we can't fight city hall on this but want to point out someone dropped the ball on this the first time. Of course I received a message that they have a high call volume and cannot take my call, not even an option for leaving a call back number. Funny, if we operated our business this way our customers would leave us. Can't fight city hall . . .

Old 09-20-2016, 12:02 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,111,878 times
Glad you mentioned this, though sorry it happened.

I have to renew mine this year and it would have never occurred to me to bring my wedding document. I have a valid social security card, and even my old one with my maiden name on it. I'm just glad I didn't take my second husband's name. We were married abroad and getting a certified copy of that might have been fun.

I guess I'll order a certified copy of my original now since my license will be due in a couple of months. I have the original somewhere, but if they aren't going to accept that.....

Sounds ridiculous.

Anyway, thanks for bringing it up.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I understand what you're saying. I was simply pointing out that if this is "standard" my wife was not required to produce this document when she applied for her "standard" drivers license (in two states). So if it has been "standard", in her experience no one has been following the "standard".

Called DMV to point this out, know we can't fight city hall on this but want to point out someone dropped the ball on this the first time. Of course I received a message that they have a high call volume and cannot take my call, not even an option for leaving a call back number. Funny, if we operated our business this way our customers would leave us. Can't fight city hall . . .
I am guessing that whoever gave her the previous one just didn't follow the rules as you said.

This thread is a good reminder for anyone who is moving to a different state, regardless of where, that you need all of that in advance. Ordering the certified stuff costs a bit of money and takes up to 6 weeks to get.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:43 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,827 times
Real ID standards are federal. Why would you blame a state agency?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas