Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 02:19 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,634,297 times

Advertisements

Now this is interesting:

Quote:
In early March, with B of A coming off its Nevada moratorium, I had a few properties in escrow, so I decided to deploy the last $200K I had available. The number of properties pushed through the Las Vegas auction site in March to third parties has been remarkable. I picked up five this month. Any rumors of an end to the foreclosure problems in Las Vegas will be dashed when the March foreclosure numbers are announced. Remember you heard that here first.
One in eight: Nevada has 167,564 empty houses - Irvine Real Estate & Irvine Homes - Irvine Housing Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 02:29 PM

151 posts, read 246,523 times

Wait a minute, I was told I could not get this kind of return... Oh wait, I never listened to those folks and have been getting this kind of return on quality low price REO and short sale properties for almost 2 years now.
This is why it is important to be informed, be on the ground and find your own great deals.

Good post John.

FOD

Old 03-22-2011, 02:36 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,449,560 times
Vicente the Fox. Classic! That blog has always been one of the better ones. I had forgotten about it. Thanks for posting that up.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:07 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,634,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishordie View Post
Wait a minute, I was told I could not get this kind of return... Oh wait, I never listened to those folks and have been getting this kind of return on quality low price REO and short sale properties for almost 2 years now.
This is why it is important to be informed, be on the ground and find your own great deals.

Good post John.

FOD
I'm pretty sure due to the relatively low number of non short sale properties combined with the current number of amateur cash investors, that provided you get a property for a very low cash price, a flipper can do ok.

As the article points out, buying a trashed property causes problems as does the potential of owner occupied.

Experts can do well I think. People unfamiliar with things I think will almost certainly lose money.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:12 PM

1,631 posts, read 3,953,163 times

Nevada Bill Tries to Stop Damage of Foreclosures
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]

This article is important for buyers and sellers. As a buyer this could mean that Bank owned properties could be in better condition in the future when purchased. Nevada is proposing a new law to prosecute anyone whether a home owner or tenant that vandalizes, take appliances or fixtures. Anyone who has looked at properties have seen the mess that is left behind when some home owners or a tenats leave.

Also anyone with a Fannie Mae loan looking to do a strategic default could face legal action from Fannie Mae to recoup the mortgage debt. Check out the link below

[SIZE=2]Source: [/SIZE][SIZE=2]“Nevada Bill to Crack Down on Willful Foreclosure Damage,”[/SIZE][SIZE=2] HousingWire (March 21, 2011)[/SIZE]

Old 03-22-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
I'm pretty sure due to the relatively low number of non short sale properties combined with the current number of amateur cash investors, that provided you get a property for a very low cash price, a flipper can do ok.

As the article points out, buying a trashed property causes problems as does the potential of owner occupied.

Experts can do well I think. People unfamiliar with things I think will almost certainly lose money.
Hi John,

I have never purchased any property in all a these years which did not have a clear title and the owner/tenant removed completely from the property.
I always take pictures as soon as I can get in of the REO or Short sale to verify no extra damage was performed prior to my walk through prior to close of escrow. Without that walk through, clear title and removal of occupants and furnishings, I would never take the property by closing escrow. Again, buyer beware as many agents convinced their clients to take the property from the foreclosure with a tenant in place. Bigg mistake.

FOD

Old 03-23-2011, 12:01 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,876,042 times
CNBC reporter quotes Haver Analytics that a double-dip national "housing recession" is underway (whatever that really means).

Quote:
"... Total new home sales in February fell 16.9% to 250,000 (AR) after a 9.6% January decline that was less than reported initially. Expectations were for 290,000 February sales according to Action Economics. Sales have fallen by three-quarters from the all-time record 1,279,000 in 2005. The decline in February sales was most pronounced in the Northeast where a 57.1% m/m drop left them at a record low. Sales in the Midwest also dropped a sharp 27.5% to a record low. Home sales in the West registered a lesser 14.7% to the lowest level since October while sales in the South were off 6.3% m/m.

With the decline in sales last month, the inventory of unsold homes rose to a 8.9 months supply and roughly equaled the recent high of 9.1 in August. The median price of a new single family home dropped 13.9% to $202,100 from an upwardly revised January level."
Haver Analytics

Old 03-23-2011, 12:52 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,075,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishordie View Post
Hi John,

I have never purchased any property in all a these years which did not have a clear title and the owner/tenant removed completely from the property.
I always take pictures as soon as I can get in of the REO or Short sale to verify no extra damage was performed prior to my walk through prior to close of escrow. Without that walk through, clear title and removal of occupants and furnishings, I would never take the property by closing escrow. Again, buyer beware as many agents convinced their clients to take the property from the foreclosure with a tenant in place. Bigg mistake.

FOD
The properties in the article being discussed were bought at trustee sale. You buy there as-is, where is. You don't get keys, title insurance, or anything.

It's a risk, but any deal can work if the price is right.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
The properties in the article being discussed were bought at trustee sale. You buy there as-is, where is. You don't get keys, title insurance, or anything.

It's a risk, but any deal can work if the price is right.
Hi Jeff,

I have never participated in a trustee sale where I have not had placed into the agreements something to the effect I would be receiving a clear title and the clear statement no person may occupy or reside in the residence at close of escrow. To be honest I have never seen a first trust deed or lender trustee sale contract that does not contain those kind of clauses nor am I sure a property can go into a first position lender trustee sale and close escrow without clear title or removal of the occupiers but since I have never had to deal with that issue I am not positive what the law is in this regard. Of course I only deal on purchasing from the first trust deed holder or the lender who now owns the property. I do not buy second or lower tier purchases. You are correct however, there could be other pending liens on the property but once you are in the first position it should not be a problem. Yes, there could be headaches from those who have positions behind you but that is another story. And yes, you can still get title insurance which covers any liens created prior to you obtaining the insurance. However liens such as workman's liens, could be filed after you purchase the property but they will be in a position behind you. IRS tax liens are an entirely different matter and must be investigated. You should always obtain some sort of title/lien search before purchasing at a trustee sale. Trustee sales are not right for someone who is not familiar with all aspects of the process.

Now I have seen short sales where there is room for negotiation with the existing tenant or owner to stay in the home after close of escrow but I have never seen this with a trustee sale.

As far as condition of the house at a trustee sale you are correct. The only guaranty in this regard is there is no guaranty.

FOD

Last edited by fishordie; 03-23-2011 at 01:42 PM..

Old 03-23-2011, 02:47 PM

1,631 posts, read 3,953,163 times
Here is the latest on Vegas home prices. One thing that they don't mention is the homes that the banks are sitting on and not releasing. 1 in 8 homes are sitting empty, the banks are controlling inventory and prices so keep that in mind when looking at properties.

Ypu have to plan that whatever you purchase now you need to be prepared for the value to go down. This market isn't for the faint of heart it's a housing market that is going to be volitile until we get through the foreclosures. That is why you need to be in for the long hall 5 to 10 yrs. If your not prepared to that then you should wait.

Las Vegas home prices down 5.2 percent from last year

Like Diana Olick I am a realist, not a pesimist or an optimist, here is her report today on CNBC regarding a housing dble dip:

<LI id=linkslist32862008 class="ll_bullet cFont cf11 clr">Why Housing Is Going Through a Double Dip<LI class="ll_bullet cFont cf11 clr">source: CNBC Diana Olick blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas