Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2013, 11:12 AM

743 posts, read 968,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
It makes sense as there is a risk with shore sales. Waiting 6-12 months to find out the bank finally counters your initial purchase offer for 10% more makes REO more desirable.
try 20% more =(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 08:03 AM

119 posts, read 183,481 times
I bought my home in the 89178 area at the end of 2009 for 138k and houses in my neighborhood are selling in the 180's easily. I never bought the home as an investment, but the current prices are very tempting. It's a shame for the people that saved a 20% down payment, have good debt to income ratios and good credit, but have to compete with cash investors but what can you do... I'm just glad I got in at the right time and can manage my mortgage payment through another market crash if it happens. Only time will tell.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:50 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,162,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koozie View Post
manage my mortgage payment through another market crash if it happens. Only time will tell.
And this is what everyone with a mortgage should try to achieve. An affordable mortgage. If another crash happens, so what. If I lost my job tomorrow my wife could easily afford the mortgage on her own and so could I if she lost hers. Our mortgage is really that cheap.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 07-01-2013, 08:53 AM

30,396 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_nlv View Post
Rents are trending lower, incomes are stagnant or decreasing, costs of rental maintenance, repairs, and evictions increase as the dollar devalues. It was close to 117 in Las Vegas today. Average electric bill during the summer: $500 a month. Very practical place to own a house. Throw in a very large floating population and generally very poor schools and you have a real winner.

But we are talking about vegas so if gamblers/investors are stupid enough to let it ride in those properties they have recently acquired then they deserve the blood bath that awaits them. A fool and his money are soon parted.
Not picking on you specifically because you see the doom and gloom crowd on virtually every board. My question, if it's so bad where you are (Vegas in this case), then why don't you just move to a place that doesn't have all of these terrible qualities?

I am thinking about buying a house or condo in Lake Las Vegas. The prices still seem very low to me...you couldn't build those for anything close to the current sale price. I guess I do have some question about Vegas economy long-term. As in, I'm not sure to what extent the tourist/gaming industry will ever reach what it was. So my question, is there enough of an economy or is Vegas adaptive enough to grow another economy if gaming never get back to where it once was? I personally have no reliance on the economy of Vegas but of course, it will affect the house prices in the future if I buy.

Anyone want to speculate on the Vegas economy in the next 5 years?

Old 07-01-2013, 10:43 AM

390 posts, read 756,233 times
This guy is so negative!

Old 07-02-2013, 11:32 PM

743 posts, read 968,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koozie View Post
I bought my home in the 89178 area at the end of 2009 for 138k and houses in my neighborhood are selling in the 180's easily. I never bought the home as an investment, but the current prices are very tempting. It's a shame for the people that saved a 20% down payment, have good debt to income ratios and good credit, but have to compete with cash investors but what can you do... I'm just glad I got in at the right time and can manage my mortgage payment through another market crash if it happens. Only time will tell.
Why is it a shame to have to compete with cash investors? Those people worked their tail off, ALWAYS lived within their means and SAVED their money...most likely continue to pay crazy taxes and never asked for a penny from the government.

What's a shame is this type of behavior hasn't rubbed off on enough people.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:19 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,991,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
And the overall system is not capable of handling more than 1500 or so distressed houses in a month. So max yield if the lenders were to go berserk would not get to more than 18,000 or so a year. The REs are also rapidly approaching non-distressed in price. So if they do go at it in a big way the most it is likely to do is ease the inventory crunch some. Which would be nice.

You keep harping on this point. It's not true. The bandwidth can be increased.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:49 AM

20 posts, read 85,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardogfsu View Post
Why is it a shame to have to compete with cash investors? Those people worked their tail off, ALWAYS lived within their means and SAVED their money...most likely continue to pay crazy taxes and never asked for a penny from the government.

+1 aardogfs

I worked my tail off, saved money by living way below my means, educated myself, took action by investing. So yes, I'm one of those cash investors buying stuff up back in 2011-2012 and prior, while my friends were buying nice cars, boats, vacations, and other things that I "choose" to delay.

That behavior should rub off, but it hasn't, so more money for investors like me.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:12 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
You keep harping on this point. It's not true. The bandwidth can be increased.
Over a span of time. Probably require some increases to governmental budgets...So yes over a couple of years it could be increased.

May be some resistance on the part of governmental agencies as it is not a permanent change.

There will be lots of warning as the system gears up.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:25 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,811,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardogfsu View Post

The unfairness is that the first time buyer cannot compete. Can't get an appraisal for financing that is competitive with the investors. Over 50% of SFRs for sale will not take FHA or VA financing. Normally that would be under 10%. For Condos it is less than 25%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas