Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 12:58 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times

Advertisements

Are things getting too hot?

Not again: Report finds Nevada homes among most overvalued - VEGAS INC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 01:38 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Interesting but no cigar. Fitch I believe does a calculation comparing economic growth to RE price growth.

The rub is where is the zero point? When they started what did they set as the initial conditions. I am skeptical that any market can be overpriced when homes sell below their replacement costs. I also don't believe LV is out of alignment with a projection of the 1990 to 2000 market to the present.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:33 PM

327 posts, read 398,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
As I homeowner, I hate to see this, but it is true.

The economy here is one sided (tourist economy), and the lack of good education and culture, contributes to a very poor housing market.

Still, I think it will heat up because of the no state income tax, good weather, and close to LA…just be ready to SELL when you can, unless you want to remain in this piece of _____ town.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:17 AM

168 posts, read 212,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson702 View Post

The economy here is one sided (tourist economy), and the lack of good education and culture, contributes to a very poor housing market.

Still, I think it will heat up because of the no state income tax, good weather, and close to LA…just be ready to SELL when you can, unless you want to remain in this piece of _____ town.

Don't let the door hit you fools on the way out.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:22 AM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Lots of internal conflict in this post. You poo poo the Vegas economy, but agree that the housing market is getting overheated. If the latter was the case, the former likely wouldn't be happening. Yes the Vegas economy is something of a one trick pony, but it's proven to be a pretty good trick. And there has been some diversification (Amazon, Switch, etc.)

Basically nothing about the Vegas has changed from the boom to the bust, now going back up from the bottom, except for the death of the growth for growths sake industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson702 View Post

Old 08-14-2015, 10:25 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,806,957 times
hate to say it, but a bond-ratings company should stick to...... rating bonds

vegasinc should stick to fluff... can't really mess that up

Old 08-14-2015, 08:05 PM

645 posts, read 707,014 times
oh no not again, I got my house 1 year and half ago and the housing market didn't go up much since then (Aliante) guess I purchased it at the highest point

Old 08-14-2015, 08:31 PM

413 posts, read 1,588,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
hate to say it, but a bond-ratings company should stick to...... rating bonds

vegasinc should stick to fluff... can't really mess that up
IIRC, Fitch was one of the three bond rating companies that told investors that CDO's and sub-prime mortgage bonds were a great investment. I wouldn't trust them, S&P or Moody's or anything they say.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 1,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I am skeptical that any market can be overpriced when homes sell below their replacement costs.
Nonsence. The materials that go into building a house continue to fall. Whether it's the copper in the wire or the plastic in the pipes, or the ceramic in tiles, commodities continue to fall.

Even the labor cost have not gone up substantially and more efficient building practices off set any labor increase.

So please try something else to justify current prices. Prices should be coming down instead of going up.
Price increase without corresponding income increases aren't a positive sign. The same is true for rentals. Income inequality is manifesting itself in housing.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:12 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarco View Post
Price increase without corresponding income increases aren't a positive sign.
Don't forget many of us are retirees for whom it isn't about current income.

Housing is a balance sheet issue, not an income statement issue. I buy (or sell) houses based on my balance sheet. My income statement doesn't affect my purchase decision; the purchase or sale is merely an asset transfer. Yesterday I have more money in, say, international equities; today I rebalance my portfolio to include more real estate.

The majority of a portfolio's long-term return is due to the allocation of capital among the various asset classes (domestic large cap, domestic mid-size, domestic small cap, domestic munis, domestic corp bonds, TIPS, European large cap, etc etc etc etc).

Even in extremely expensive markets such as Silicon Valley & San Francisco, housing prices are largely driven by asset transfers rather than income -- sell a couple million in Facebook stock, then buy a house. That's an asset transfer -- it affects the size of each pie slice in a portfolio, but doesn't affect the size of the portfolio (not at first). It isn't about current income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas