Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 01:28 AM

469 posts, read 494,124 times

Advertisements

I agree with all the above. Las Vegas has a lot of broke people who complain about their lives being miserable and they expect you to have sympathy for them. I’ve met a lot of people with totally odd situations from relationships to co-workers to family issues. If you look at the exterior of some homes, it’ll tell you a lot about the people that are living in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 05:23 AM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times
Las Vegas ...The Land of Pretenders

Old 04-12-2018, 08:53 AM

505 posts, read 583,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soclose View Post
I agree with all the above. Las Vegas has a lot of broke people who complain about their lives being miserable and they expect you to have sympathy for them. I’ve met a lot of people with totally odd situations from relationships to co-workers to family issues. If you look at the exterior of some homes, it’ll tell you a lot about the people that are living in there.
YES! At one Meetup, this guy who sat next to me WHINED the entire time. Everything from his job, to being robbed multiple times. When I asked him why he doesn't move he said the only thing keeping him here were Capriotti's sandwiches?!! Bizarre losers. I've also never lived in a city where so many people don't own a car/drive = ride moochers.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:12 AM

6,746 posts, read 3,363,151 times
You have to find people with common interests. I've been here six months and have made a lot of friends through my Camaro Club. We do two car shows a week and a monthly cruise. This Sunday we'll have 15 Camaro's going out to Death Valley. A lot of the time is spent just hanging out, but I have made a lot of good friends and we have a blast.

I also play golf and have met some good people on the golf course and now have regular partners. Interesting people, too, from all walks of life.

My wife, OTOH, has not made many friends and misses her friends from back east. I take her to the car club events and she's starting to come around a little. Pilates classes have helped. We're going to join a golf league and I've told her to join some groups doing things she likes. I can't make her do it, though. You have to just get out there.

What's ironic about all this is that I'm not particularly sociable. She is that way more than I am, yet I've been the one to make it happen.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:25 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,441,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusive Enchantment View Post
Hi, all.

In a short month and a half I will be making a move from the East Coast to Vegas, particularly in Summerlin. Where I'm from, most people have their designated cliques from middle school through college and even beyond. I will be in my second year of college and attending UNLV. I have struggled to make connections in my current college, so I often spend more time trying to meet people outside of campus.

My question is: how hard is it to make connections and make new friends in Vegas? It seems like there is always something to do, so it doesn't seem as though it would be particularly difficult. Where do I begin? Are there certain "hotspots"?
You stated that you are already having a bit of difficulty making friends in your current college. That leads me to believe that it is something you need to work on within yourself, which of course is ok. College is about the easiest setting to make friends, after that real life takes over. Personally, I have made friends with many of my neighbors, work associates, and still have many friends from my earlier years.

I'd pursue your interests, and then like minded people will show up. In my opinion, you have to be proactive, and interesting to find friends when you get older, very few are just going to walk up to you and say "Be my friend"

Old 04-12-2018, 11:07 AM

581 posts, read 456,071 times
I've been here ten years and I can honestly say the only friend I have is my husband.

Vegas is very transient, so if you befriend someone there's a good chance they'll be moving in two or three years. Then throw in the flakes, hustlers and users and you'll find yourself becoming very guarded very quickly.

There's also a 99% chance that if a stranger here tries to engage you in friendly conversation, they'll attempt to lure you into some scammy MLM.

I'm not saying you won't be able to form any friendships, but it's incredibly hard out here.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:09 AM

469 posts, read 494,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
You have to find people with common interests. I've been here six months and have made a lot of friends through my Camaro Club. We do two car shows a week and a monthly cruise. This Sunday we'll have 15 Camaro's going out to Death Valley. A lot of the time is spent just hanging out, but I have made a lot of good friends and we have a blast.

I also play golf and have met some good people on the golf course and now have regular partners. Interesting people, too, from all walks of life.

My wife, OTOH, has not made many friends and misses her friends from back east. I take her to the car club events and she's starting to come around a little. Pilates classes have helped. We're going to join a golf league and I've told her to join some groups doing things she likes. I can't make her do it, though. You have to just get out there.

What's ironic about all this is that I'm not particularly sociable. She is that way more than I am, yet I've been the one to make it happen.
Are you going to the track event at the LVMS on the 21st?

Old 04-12-2018, 11:52 AM

505 posts, read 583,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
I've been here ten years and I can honestly say the only friend I have is my husband.

Vegas is very transient, so if you befriend someone there's a good chance they'll be moving in two or three years. Then throw in the flakes, hustlers and users and you'll find yourself becoming very guarded very quickly.

There's also a 99% chance that if a stranger here tries to engage you in friendly conversation, they'll attempt to lure you into some scammy MLM.
LOL! My neighbor pushed her scammy MLM the first week of residence! This thread is funny and very sad at the same time.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:22 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,984,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post

You haven’t been here long enough to get burned or disappointed or used. Your tune will change when you’ve been here a couple years. It took me 5 years to realize that Vegas isn’t for me anymore.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:46 PM

581 posts, read 456,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildSpark View Post
LOL! My neighbor pushed her scammy MLM the first week of residence! This thread is funny and very sad at the same time.
Lulz! Why am I not surprised? Which was it? MaryKay? ScamWay? LulaRoe? The last time someone tried to solicit me was in Target. I just roll my eyes at this point. In some ways it sucks though, because it makes you not even want to deal with people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas