Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 12:39 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times

Advertisements

couldn't agree more Momx2....the big bosses whine n moan cause we're only up 8% from last year....in previous years we went up abt 12%.......but traditionally bosses whine if ya hang em with a cloth rope....the want GOLD.

Will there be cutbacks.....sure......by attrition, we'd be foolish not to take advantage of it to pare down the companies.....is Las Vegas gonna slide into the dumpster like the 'neverbeenhere's" seem to think....NOT A CHANCE......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 03:40 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
What I dont get is why people are so quick to jump on the "see I told you Las Vegas wasn't a good move"

The truth is IT DOESNT LOOK GOOD FOR THE UNITED STATES AS A WHOLE. The whole country is suffering from high fuel costs, high airline fares and job losses. Look at the world where there are countries that people cannot afford to buy rice or bread. Everything is getting more expensive and inflation is on the rise. To look at the bright side of things, what are you personally going to do about it? I hope everyone has a game plan to adapt to higher cost of living.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:50 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Yup - It is intriguing. There is this weird set of people just waiting for Vegas to get steamrolled.

Well of course Vegas goes down in bad times. But it goes down less and comes back quicker than most anywhere.

So give it up folks. Go pulls the wings off a butterfly or something.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:01 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
olecapt, thats mean, i like butterflys.. how about, "go step on an ant or a scorpion"

Old 04-16-2008, 05:01 PM

289 posts, read 1,039,912 times
Well, according to this article there's some truth to the idea...

Slow economy slows down Vegas (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/fea/travel/columnists/lasvegasadvisor/stories/DN-webvegas_0413tra.State.Edition1.19a5254.html - broken link)

4/15/08
"Concerns about the slow economy and its possible negative effects on Las Vegas are proving justified, as a trio of important indicators was down in January."

*Strip gambling down 1.3 percent
*Airport traffic down 2.8 percent
*Visitation down .6 percent

We'll just have to wait and see if it gets "bad", or simply takes a dip.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:11 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
Believe me dude....this is NOTHING. Were you here in town during the recession of the 70's, with gas rationing on odd/even days, and visitation/occupany rates WAAAAYYYY down? Our whole country was in deep recession when Jimmy Carter was President, we had a very stagnant economy, rising inflation and very high double digit unemployment rates. Huge numbers of folks across the country lost their jobs and homes during that time. People still came to Las Vegas and we survived.

Were you here during the months that followed 9/11 and there was large layoffs at all the props...of even the most ordinary workers (even those who had a few years in service?) When the hotels almost couldn't GIVE rooms away? When the airlines severely reduced their fares to get people back on planes? They came back to Las Vegas more so than ever.

C'mon, people flock here no matter what, with whatever money they have or can get their hands on.

What point are you trying to prove? The city is going to shrivel up and become a ghost town?

I've been here long time and I've seen even worse times...and we're still here, bigger than ever

Last edited by MomMom; 04-16-2008 at 05:29 PM..

Old 04-16-2008, 11:43 PM

638 posts, read 2,244,369 times
The business I work for is indirectly supported by the convention industry. We had a horrible first quarter. I billed out significantly less than last year. We certainly are not hurting though; still making plenty of money. So, not exactly horrible, but there was no growth there.

I am quilty of obsessing over the economy too, but we all need to relax a little and realize that whatever happens with the economy is out of our personal control. A lot of what is going on out there is not only happening because of high gas prices, its our paranoia and fear thats making things feel a lot worse than they are.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:06 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
you're completely right Momx2.....when yer down to your last thousand $.....eight the hard way looks mighty good..............

Old 04-17-2008, 10:18 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,475,380 times
Touche' dyni!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas