Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 04:14 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,580,400 times

Advertisements

Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 04:15 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Why?
Why what?

Old 01-15-2020, 04:19 PM

Why are they categorized differently? Makes me wonder what other categories people killing people can fall into.

Old 01-15-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Why are they categorized differently? Makes me wonder what other categories people killing people can fall into.
Because it was a unique event that was very abnormal and would distort the ongoing statistics. Would have given LV a horrible year followed by a wonderful one. Neither would have meant much.

And it was reported in great detail virtually everywhere.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:39 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,058,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom4Nevada View Post
Correct. More likely that the city dragged their bodies just over the border of Clark County and dumped them there to be handled by other jurisdictions to keep their numbers. Look at what happened with that psycho Mandalay Bay shooter, they buried that evidence. No motive. Ever.
No argument from me. 10/1 stinks, and our City's response to it stinks, too.

LVMPD has been caught manipulating FBI crime stats before. In fact, LVMPD is still under active investigation by the FBI itself.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The only pending are simply those cases where the coroner has not yet issued a death certificate. It is almost entirely a queuing delay.
How long does it actually take for the Coroner to open up his death tax database, type in the cause of death, and hit submit?

All of those types of processes are computerized and automated by now. Granted, I've never spent a day in the morgue, but I would assume the coroner probably rolls over his computer on a cart and types in his findings as the autopsy is conducted just like they do everywhere else in the hospital.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Because it was a unique event that was very abnormal and would distort the ongoing statistics. Would have given LV a horrible year followed by a wonderful one. Neither would have meant much.

It an anomaly, but its factually incorrect to exempt a certain portion of the stats due to "special circumstances." They were murders, and they did occur here in Vegas. Of course, the department has an interest in keeping stats low for things like performance based grants. The fact is, Metro failed to detect and thwart that incident. Furthermore, their response didn't seem to be appropriate, either. That is to say, they didn't even stop or attempt to stop the shooter - the shooter killed himself - after he killed everyone else.

Also, didn't he bring something like 16 carts full of bags to his room? Nobody questioned this? Even the richest of the rich don't bring 16 carts of baggage with them on vacation. Not to mention, his car was valet'd I believe at Luxor, had wires sticking out of the trunk, a bomb squad was called, and we never heard anything else about that.

I've never actually looked, but I have to wonder how the deaths during 9/11 were reported by NYC.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:

Like it or not, it happened. The only way statistics can ever mean anything is if the data is accurate. You can't leave out things because they are abnormal. If We did that we could make every year equal 4 homicides.

For someone who lives and breaths statistics, they don't sound all that meaningful now.

By the way, it WAS a horrible year. Live with it.

Old 01-16-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
No argument from me. 10/1 stinks, and our City's response to it stinks, too.

LVMPD has been caught manipulating FBI crime stats before. In fact, LVMPD is still under active investigation by the FBI itself.
Source? There was a good bit of discussion about the treatment of 10/1 at time. But there is no indication I can find of an active FBI investigation. I believe it has always been FBI policy to blame the quality of the statistics on the reporting agency.

Old 01-16-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
How long does it actually take for the Coroner to open up his death tax database, type in the cause of death, and hit submit?

All of those types of processes are computerized and automated by now. Granted, I've never spent a day in the morgue, but I would assume the coroner probably rolls over his computer on a cart and types in his findings as the autopsy is conducted just like they do everywhere else in the hospital.
It is a government bureaucracy and has its own procedures to follow. Looks like it is up to 60 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas