Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2020, 04:30 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,810,336 times

Advertisements

--delete--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
It will probably go down a little, I've seen some discounts up here already (a couple percentage points). But what will happen is houses will come off the market, the inventory will stabilize and with low interest rates prices will stabilize.

Nothing close to 20% decrease...
Are you confusing the liquidity of the housing market with the stock market?

House price declines take months/years, look at house prices from 2006-2012. There is a lag. Throw in the unemployment rate and you have a nice graph.

Predictions are difficult right now because interest rates are low and the economy is being pumped with unearned income. The net effect could be catastrophic, with inflation and unemployment spiralling out of control. If that happens, house prices will tumble.

I really hope this all goes away and something good actually comes out of it.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Prices aren’t going to go down much if any
I hope you're right but I don't think you are. What is going to support the Las Vegas housing market?

Old 03-26-2020, 04:59 PM

927 posts, read 884,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Prices aren’t going to go down much if any
Rates are low

Value of dollar is being weakened

People aren't selling (or even leaving their homes for that matter)

Construction is halted for the time being

If anything prices will go up

Old 03-26-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08grad View Post
Rates are low

Maybe in the short term, but who's buying? There is no demand.

You could very well be right, with QE and all other things being equal, the nominal price goes up.

In real dollars, I would just have to think everything falls in price over the next couple of years. Unless this thing blows over quickly.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:23 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,893,069 times
Quote:
Rates are low

Construction hasn't halted where they have workers available. And unless you think we all price things in gold the dollar is quite strong.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:33 PM

16 posts, read 25,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolAcademy View Post
- Stock market down 25%
- People panicing re: coronovirus
- Disastrous economic news about to hit Las Vegas: travel minimized, conventions cancelled, no int'l visitors allowed, few (or no) sports to gamble on.
- Interest rates already historically low, very little impact from further reductions
- Soon to come:

large uptick in layoffs here & nationwide ✅ 3.3 mil jobless claims reported today (highest print ever before today was 695,000)

more and more confirmed virus cases ✅ # of deaths in USA doubled in last 3 days

international investment money drying up ✅ Softbank liquidating $41 billion of assets

one or more of the "buy your house for cash" companies (offerpad, opendoor, etc) going belly-up ✅ Zillow, Redfin, Realogy and Opendoor Suspend iBuyer Home Purchase Programs (1)

Cali transplants won't be able to sell ✅ Sacramento: Open houses stopped. For sale signs gone. (2)

stock market dropping further ✅ DJIA currently 1000 points lower than Mar 11 despite 3-day rally

My guess is house prices have realistically dropped 20% since Feb. I don't mean your Zillow estimate, I mean a real, confirmed, signed-on-the-dotted-line contract for your house/apt as of today, is no higher than whatever equals 20% less than last month's comparables. Likely 40-50% by May if c-virus is not entirely contained. Economy & housing might all recover at some point in the near future, and this will just be a temporary dip. Or it might not.

It is important to say I hope that cases, and especially deaths, stop growing ASAP. Nobody in the hospital or worried about friends & loved ones cares about the state of the housing market. It's something to discuss on a message board while everyone is locked down and bored -- but it is not all that important in the grand scheme of things.

(1)https://finance.yahoo.com/news/zillo...045712124.html
(2)https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavi...241418666.html

Old 03-27-2020, 02:26 AM

927 posts, read 884,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Maybe in the short term, but who's buying? There is no demand.

You could very well be right, with QE and all other things being equal, the nominal price goes up.

In real dollars, I would just have to think everything falls in price over the next couple of years. Unless this thing blows over quickly.
There are 14 homes under 400k on the market in my area.

5 out of 14 are under contract. 2 of those 5 went pending/contingent the past week, after the school shutdown.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:38 AM

Quote:
There are 14 homes under 400k on the market in my area.

5 out of 14 are under contract. 2 of those 5 went pending/contingent the past week, after the school shutdown.
Well I hope that behavior continues, but what happens when people can't pay their rent and landlord's therefore can't pay their own mortgages?

Macau has opened back up and is operating at 10% of pre coronavirus levels. its early, but those numbers are scary

Old 03-27-2020, 05:42 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,765,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardogfsu View Post
My feeling is that it was meant to be released here but got out on their soil accidentally. I’m not a conspiracy guy outside of extraterrestrial life, im not a flat earthier, a moon landing skeptic nor a 9-11 guy. It’s just when something smells, it smells.
It's no conspiracy, it's a fact, the U.S. is already at war with China and 5G is a weapon. If you have some spare time, Google and read the Electromagnetic Defense Task Force 2.0 2019 report (it's available online).

“Your Commie has no regard for human life. Not even his own.”
Dr. Strangelove (1964)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: