Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 09:08 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I keep this alternative Hach kit at my homes:

https://smile.amazon.com/Hach-145300..._t1_B00N3YPOUG

When it is time to replace, I may try the one you recommend instead.
Those are good kits - no doubt. I gave the link to it in a follow-up comment, but like I said - I'm just paranoid about kids and pets getting hold of the liquid. But the 5B is a solid kit that provides reliable results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2020, 09:47 PM

143 posts, read 98,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Water softeners are remarkably simple machines. When I buy a new house, I just buy the water softener parts and assemble the system myself, and install it on the water softener loop myself. Of course, I don't suggest your mom do that - but she CAN save some money.

There are 4 main parts:
  • the resin tank (that's where the magic happens and looks sort of like an over-sized cylindrical SCUBA tank),
  • the actual water softening resin (shaped like miniature orange kind-of-plastic BBs)
  • the brine tank (that's where salt goes),
  • and the valve controller that screws into the top of the resin tank after you fill it with resin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
The Fleck 5600 Econominder is the one I've recommended for over 40 years.
I'm renovating a house in Mexico where I intend to install a water softener. The water in that location makes Las Vegas water seem soft.

Based what I've read here and elsewhere, I'm sold on the Fleck Econominder head.

Would you recommend I go RationalExpectations' route and piece together parts to build a system, or buy a ready-built system and then change the head to the Fleck? Are water softener parts mix and match?

I visit family frequently in LV, and if necessary, could get the Fleck head there and carry it down to Mexico in luggage.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpcoe View Post
Would you recommend I go RationalExpectations' route and piece together parts to build a system, or buy a ready-built system and then change the head to the Fleck? Are water softener parts mix and match?

I visit family frequently in LV, and if necessary, could get the Fleck head there and carry it down to Mexico in luggage.
You've got a unique situation..... About the only way I'd do a head-only swap-out is if I was also replacing the resin and distributor. Too many wild cards on this - is it feasible to buy a complete unit and either transport it yourself, or have it shipped? Many systems are built similarly, but the second you presume they're the same, there's gonna be something different - and some of the parts would be a REAL challenge finding in Mexico. I used to pre-assemble entire systems, actually get them running - then disassemble and ship them. It was the only way I found to be 100% sure I had everything needed when I got there. You wouldn't need to go to that extreme with just a softener - but I WOULD buy it all from the same vendor and then ship/transport after a thorough inspection.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:54 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
I'm renovating a house in Mexico where I intend to install a water softener.
If you're going to contemplate buying the pieces and assembling them yourself, just buy the valve controller you want in the first case - the Fleck 5600 Econominder. That way there is no need to swap heads; you have the right one in the first place.

I'll second TexasRednecks's suggestion for you that you buy all the components from a single vendor. That will make life much simpler for you. The question for you is finding a Mexican vendor who does this, or a US one who ships internationally. My guess - just a guess - you're much better off finding a Mexican vendor.

Fleck is owned by Pentair, which is a large global company and well-respected in water treatment. Try contacting Pentair directly and ask them for an online distributor/vendor of complete water softener systems in Mexico that you can contact. It might make it simpler if that distributor/vendor is located in the same Mexican State where your house is.

Edit: Don't forget you'll need to purchase bulk water softener salt. Make sure there is a convenient retailer to where your house is.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 10-26-2020 at 07:09 AM..

Old 10-26-2020, 02:06 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,087 times
Quote:
Edit: Don't forget you'll need to purchase bulk water softener salt.
I can't think of any reason why. Surely Mexico has stores that sell bags of salt.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I can't think of any reason why. Surely Mexico has stores that sell bags of salt.
They do. I've installed and started a number of systems in Mexico and never had an issue finding softener salt.

Old 10-26-2020, 05:18 PM

143 posts, read 98,204 times
@TexasRedneck, @RationalExpectations and @Cold Warrior: Thanks for your feedback. I guess I was overly simplistic and optimistic, and will need to find a local (Mexican) supplier.

Another thing I hope to find is a salt supplier who has potassium chloride vs the more usual sodium chloride. On a Mexican FB group, I read that it was available from swimming pool supply places. Which brings up another question: Is there any down side to using potassium chloride? I know the health advantage, but have not seen any potential disadvantages.

Old 10-26-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
@TexasRedneck, @RationalExpectations and @Cold Warrior: Thanks for your feedback. I guess I was overly simplistic and optimistic, and will need to find a local (Mexican) supplier.

Another thing I hope to find is a salt supplier who has potassium chloride vs the more usual sodium chloride. On a Mexican FB group, I read that it was available from swimming pool supply places. Which brings up another question: Is there any down side to using potassium chloride? I know the health advantage, but have not seen any potential disadvantages.
What "health advantage" do you think there is? There's been a LOT of marketing hype about "salf free", but it's just that - hype. You get more sodium from a can of green beans than you do soft water.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:01 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
IIRC the salt is only used to clean something inside the softener, it doesn't go into the water itself as part of the softening process.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:43 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
IIRC the salt is only used to clean something inside the softener, it doesn't go into the water itself as part of the softening process.
A small amount of salt does go into the water. That is why there is a separate water line for the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: