Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:43 AM

6 posts, read 15,285 times

Advertisements

I am sure you have heard these stories over and over again, mine started Jan 08 when I lost my very 1st home in a foreclosure. It sold for $100.000 less that what I paid a year before a few months after it foreclosed. Gee maybe I could of afforded it then. I am in decorating sales (commission only), so once the economy hit hard so did my paycheck. I quickly moved to a rental home that was 1/2 of my mortgage payment but soon fell behind in payments. My large SUV payment also fell so behind and they were after me to retrieve that, I needed to do something quick. I found a attorney who would work with me on payment of his services - but $1500 was so much, how could anyone file Bk when your broke, I still owe him half but he did begin Bankruptcy proceedings. My tags on my SUV were due in March, I was advised by my attorney to drive my SUV for as long as possible, as I had put a voluntary surrender on it and I surly didn't have extra money to pay registration, especially if I lost my car at any moment I would not be getting any refund from the DMV and besides when you go in to pay late I just figured I would be paying some penalties if by some miracle I got to keep my SUV. As the eviction notice hit my door - I looked around and found that I had become quite depressed, and broke,losing everything I had worked so hard for, all those long work hours were for nothing, I just wanted out. The only way out ironically was for me to quit work to cash out my measly $4000 profit sharing just so I could get ahead and with that I had hopes of moving back to Las Vegas where I once lived a short 8 months in 2003. That $4000 didn't last after renting a truck and movers etc. I thought, this big city must have work for me and I can start back up at my job. My bankruptcy attorney back in California assured me I could attend my meeting with the creditors via phone with a notary of republic by my side. or I would of never left in the middle of it. That didn't go as planned, they denied me my phone attend ace stating I had no excuses viable enough to not be there, How about cash on hand or maybe gas prices! My attorney was nice enough to take off the $105 notary of republic I paid off my bill I owed him, so I have to return to California next week somehow, in the SUV they may take that is not registered yet.... The hotel I have been staying in is OK , my storage rent is expensive, My kids are depressed, they need a stable home, they want a house with a pool again and a hard working mom who makes good money. How can I get ahead if I keep getting beat down. I have always been work smart, how did I get into this mess. I guess I am writing you because of the so called peace officer, I mean Police officer who pulled me over to give me a $450 ticket for not having current registration just 4 days after arriving here in lovely Las Vegas. I knew they were due, I pleaded my case with him and told him my new court date for my bankruptcy was on June 1st just a week away and they may be taking my SUV when I get back to California, I showed him all my paper work for proof as will as my newly paid hotel room. I thought if I did get to keep my SUV which I have high hopes - a finance company came in at the last moment to offer to pay off and give me a high risk loan, if this went through - I was going 1st thing to get my registration and Nevada renewed, but there is a chance I will not be driving back with my SUV, I am guessing a rental - I am scared ... but instead I have to use my money to pay a TICKET! Not a fix it ticket or you have 30 days to get this registered in Nevada like they would of given me in Calif- no a $450 ticket!!!!! This is the same day I pawned my most loved LCD flat panel 42" bedroom TV for $400 was worth $1700 that money was went to paying another 4 days of hotel, gas and groceries for me and the kids. What is wrong with people now a days, have anyone any compassion - I am in no way a danger to anyone nor do I have any kind of record. I have always been a law abiding and payed my taxes. This whole generation has become greedy and self centered. This is one reason why the home crises has arose, GREED. Simply stated we are headed for destruction and I can see how a very normal hard working law abiding citizen like myself can be thrown to edge of survival instincts by being pushed to the edge. I just want to give up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 11:50 AM

171 posts, read 765,498 times
Sounds like you were living beyond your means and it caught up with you. So now you blame the worlds "greed" for your problems when your own greed got you there. Working in a job like yours requires lots of financial planning for when things are slow.

You chose Giant SUV and Flat Screen TV's.

What does this have to do with Vegas?

Old 06-25-2008, 11:55 AM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,864,364 times
Tough times, I know. My recommendation is you get any job you can find, dont' be too proud. Consider a retail sales or restaurant service job, even if you're getting paid $10/hr+tips/commission that is still better than $0.00 and you will be able to make rent and buy groceries. Get rid of the SUV, sounds like you don't need it. Buy a cheap car with low payments. Think Kia or Hyundai. You can get one of those that doesn't use too much gas for $100/month.

Why do you need a 42" LCD TV if you are broke? I'm guessing you might have credit card payments. Stop paying for anything with credit cards and sell the stuff you don't need and stop shopping for anything other than food. Pay down the cards with everything you have left after rent and food. You probably don't need new clothes for a while.

You can make it, just focus on the basics like getting any kind of paycheck for starters, then getting out of debt, and consistently not buying anything you don't need.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:00 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
Did you ever hear of paragraphs? That was nearly impossible to read. Now my eyes hurt and I need some drops.

I got the gist though. Your story is not isolated. It is common across America. Many are too embarrassed to tell the world like you did but everyone knows it is happening. It is our own neighbors, our own familys, our best friends and so on. Worse so in Las Vegas, Phoenix, Miami and So. California.

I dont know if you were living beyond your means and it is also none of anyones business. Your trade was a victim of this depression, oops I mean recession and that is not your fault.

I have said this before. All these millions and millions of people walking away from their homes now have a big red ding on their credit that will prevent them from buying another home for 5 years or more. Many will even have trouble renting with their new bad credit rating. If lenders and landlords dont loosen up on their credit criteria then there is going to be a whole lot of homeless people out there.

Good luck to you.................

Old 06-25-2008, 12:05 PM

171 posts, read 765,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I dont know if you were living beyond your means and it is also none of anyones business. Your trade was a victim of this depression, oops I mean recession and that is not your fault.
Yet the economy is still moving ahead with no back to back negative quarters... where is the recession? Or are you just parroting what CNN and FOX news tells you?

Thomas Sowell

Old 06-25-2008, 12:55 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schizrade View Post
Yet the economy is still moving ahead with no back to back negative quarters... where is the recession? Or are you just parroting what CNN and FOX news tells you?

Thomas Sowell
No. I dont even know who your news hero is and really dont care. The stats show the picture. Knowing how your govt twists the figures so no one gets scared makes things worse. We had 3 consecutive quarters of neg growth.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:38 PM

623 posts, read 1,817,821 times
It sounds as if your greed got the best of you--your greed for things--like your SUV, LCD tv, etc

Old 06-25-2008, 01:40 PM

40 posts, read 219,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schizrade View Post

Thomas Sowell
The government isn't going to report anything that will tank the stock markets here and around the world, much less admit that the country is in a recession unless they want to see a massive run on the banks.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:29 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,715,185 times
I always look at the bright side of things. To the OP, just be grateful that you still have your family and your health. You still have food on the table, roof over your head and clothes. Your family's happiness doesn't come from a Large SUV, House with a Pool or a 42 inch LCD flat screen tv. You were basically a slave to your "things", or materials. You didn't own them in the first place, but you were paying a bank who actually owns them and makes money by the interest you were paying. I would just lift your chin up and get a humble job and start over and try not to pursue all those material things that are meaningless. If you think all those hard work hours you put in was for nothing? Don't think of it that way, just be glad you had this experience so you can prevent this from happening again. Just my $.02

Old 06-25-2008, 03:10 PM

30 posts, read 107,389 times
What load of Poo-Poo was that? Give me a break. It was said by most so far, you seemed to be pretty greedy with your material lifestyle. By the way, do not blame officers for doing their job. Do you know how many sob stories police have to listen to everyday? Get real!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas