Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2008, 10:49 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,650,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Good grief! Where the heck do you live DS41?

We are having a block party on Friday, and we've ALWAYS had a block party. I know ALL OF MY NEIGHBORS, both the ones who have always lived here and the new ones just recently transplanted. Even the family up the street who just moved here in May!

Everyone I know in my neighborhood is friendly, always eager to help a neighbor...there are two houses down the block, that we don't really "know"...the people who live in those houses are a nighttime shift worker couple (adult children), so they don't have time to associate with us "daytimers" because they are sleeping when we are out and about...and the other house, the people are snowbirds...but when they are here for a few months at a time, they join in our coffee klatches and neighborhood stuff.

OK, there ARE some unfriendly people out there, but certainly, it can't be EVERYONE in your neightborhood???? Geez, it must be YOU, not wanting to make an effort to meet anyone, Las Vegas is one of the most friendliest places you could ever imagine, the people are fantastic...

That is....if you give them a chance and make an effort to be friendly
Oh you must admit your community is an exception. Maybe a small gated condo complex where one has no choice but to overhear the neighbors conversation.

It ain't like it was in our generation where mom stayed home and knew the first middle and last name and occupation of every neighbor in a one block radius. That ain't so anymore and even less so in a city like this with a very high transient population.

I know my immediate neighbors. We stop and talk and look out for eachothers homes when we go away. But it stops there. 2 doors down in either direction I cant even remember seeing them in the past 3 years. I suspect people will be a tad closer when confined to a gated community.

I have to very strongly disagree with you about LV being one of the most friendliest places. Just too many life experiences to write here why it ain't. Im snickering even thinking about that statement. Hell ya want proof? Just come on here and start a thread saying "Las Vegas sucks" and see what kind of friendly responses you get. I guarantee you within 5 minutes they will ban everyone for language.

Carry on..........
NO HATE MAIL PLEASE !

Old 07-01-2008, 10:59 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,472,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Oh you must admit your community is an exception. Maybe a small gated condo complex where one has no choice but to overhear the neighbors conversation.

It ain't like it was in our generation where mom stayed home and knew the first middle and last name and occupation of every neighbor in a one block radius. That ain't so anymore and even less so in a city like this with a very high transient population.

I know my immediate neighbors. We stop and talk and look out for eachothers homes when we go away. But it stops there. 2 doors down in either direction I cant even remember seeing them in the past 3 years. I suspect people will be a tad closer when confined to a gated community.

I have to very strongly disagree with you about LV being one of the most friendliest places. Just too many life experiences to write here why it ain't. Im snickering even thinking about that statement. Hell ya want proof? Just come on here and start a thread saying "Las Vegas sucks" and see what kind of friendly responses you get. I guarantee you within 5 minutes they will ban everyone for language.

Carry on..........
NO HATE MAIL PLEASE !
Well, I don't live in a gated community, and we have somewhat transient neighborhood, people moving in and out at times. And I don't live in the best area either!

A while ago we had a thread and a poll about "Why I love Las Vegas" and seems like more folks voted in favor of liking Las Vegas, and there were far more favorable responses as to what people liked in Las Vegas.

It's the people such as yourself, moved here thinking that there was pot of gold here, with totally unrealistic views about life here. I have found, over the many years here, disgruntled folks such as yourself. People like you not being able to find the place where you would happy.

Perhaps, that's on your horizon. The ones (such as yourself) that are stuck in homes that can't sell, or you paid too much for it to sell it now without taking a big hit, are the really unhappy folks. Wanting out so bad, thinking you might find your golden rainbow elsewhere.

Thank goodness, a lot more folks have moved here, love it and have stayed. It's made our city grow in culture and diversity.

And yeah, here and there you come across the ones who find fault with it, it ain't perfect you know. I don't think anyplace is.

But some folks make the best of their own bad situation and choices and deal with it until they can leave, and then there are some folks who are just plain miserable....and will continue to be so elsewhere.

I feel for them big time, and I wish for them, that they find their happiness and peace.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:04 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,797 times
Quote:
Hell ya want proof? Just come on here and start a thread saying "Las Vegas sucks" and see what kind of friendly responses you get. I guarantee you within 5 minutes they will ban everyone for language.
really DS41? you think you'll get unfriendly responses if you start a thread attacking a place many of us like? you don't say!

so if mom starts a thread saying "las vegas is great" and gets a bunch of positive responses, does that then support her claim? by the above reasoning it would seem to.

and if that is the case, i have a rock that keeps away tigers....be more than willing to sell it (and i know it works because i have never had a problem w/ tigers since i got this rock )

Old 07-01-2008, 11:10 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,986,981 times
granted, i am new to the neighborhood, but the neighbors are great (even the one's down the street) Everybody says hi, stops for a conversation etc.....however, i have not met the far neighbor (heard he was on the board of the hoa).. that might be a good thing.. i just might punch him in the nose!

Old 07-01-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
granted, i am new to the neighborhood, but the neighbors are great (even the one's down the street) Everybody says hi, stops for a conversation etc.....however, i have not met the far neighbor (heard he was on the board of the hoa).. that might be a good thing.. i just might punch him in the nose!
Punch him in the nose????

That's the neighbor you have to be most friendly with airics!!!!!!!

Just kidding....

Old 07-01-2008, 11:20 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,650,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
really DS41? you think you'll get unfriendly responses if you start a thread attacking a place many of us like? you don't say!

so if mom starts a thread saying "las vegas is great" and gets a bunch of positive responses, does that then support her claim? by the above reasoning it would seem to.

and if that is the case, i have a rock that keeps away tigers....be more than willing to sell it (and i know it works because i have never had a problem w/ tigers since i got this rock )
Here comes the hate that MomMom doesn't see. I already got some. Dont bother I just click it off.

Good point jim. Let me just say this. I particapate in several different fourms. No place is like this one. There are the resident 5 or 6 here who are mostly retired. Their life consists of sitting here hiting refresh over and over and over again just foaming at the mouth for the chance at attacking a new post that says anything bad about this place. The worst ones are those who are brand new here. They fight with their balls and their blood to defend their new city that they know nothing about.

You will not find anything like this in other forums. If some one comes in and anounces that ABC city sucks then a dicussion will follow. No name calling. No sending hatefull DMs to anyone like in here.

Thats ok. I dont bad mouth LV so I dont get all that unwanted mail from people cursing me. Its all spam to me. So I just stay neutral and post facts or opinions like everyone else. I really do enjoy posting helpfull info for others. But I feel I have to gently write with feathers on here.

And that not only sucks but makes the right to free speech look like Josef Stalin is watching.

Good day to you Mr Jim !

Old 07-01-2008, 11:24 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,986,981 times
is there a place that i can find the "minutes" of the last hoa meeting

Old 07-01-2008, 11:47 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,797 times
Quote:
Here comes the hate that MomMom doesn't see. I already got some. Dont bother I just click it off.

Good point jim. Let me just say this. I particapate in several different fourms. No place is like this one. There are the resident 5 or 6 here who are mostly retired. Their life consists of sitting here hiting refresh over and over and over again just foaming at the mouth for the chance at attacking a new post that says anything bad about this place. The worst ones are those who are brand new here. They fight with their balls and their blood to defend their new city that they know nothing about.

You will not find anything like this in other forums. If some one comes in and anounces that ABC city sucks then a dicussion will follow. No name calling. No sending hatefull DMs to anyone like in here.

Thats ok. I dont bad mouth LV so I dont get all that unwanted mail from people cursing me. Its all spam to me. So I just stay neutral and post facts or opinions like everyone else. I really do enjoy posting helpfull info for others. But I feel I have to gently write with feathers on here.

And that not only sucks but makes the right to free speech look like Josef Stalin is watching.

Good day to you Mr Jim !
yeah, but do you want that rock? no tigers, guaranteed!

i don't know nething about hateful PMs or the like....just pointing out that if you go looking for an unfriendly response you can definitely find one.

but your comment on right to free speech is interesting...aren't people just exercising their right when they respond to you (or to another's comments)? no comments here are censored (unless they violate the terms of the board), so it isn't really "stalinesk". and if peeps are sending truly hateful stuff, just send it to a mod...there is no call for that kinda crap. if i got a nasty personal PM, i'd pbby copy and paste it into my response...it serves to undermines their arguments in my book.

now...about that rock....

Old 07-01-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
is there a place that i can find the "minutes" of the last hoa meeting
The elected folks (who live in your community) of your HOA board will have the minutes of the last HOA meeting..or you can get a copy from your HOA management company.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:31 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,943,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
I think the exact opposite is true. People are spending the money so fast, that the banks are working overtime to yank their credit away before they can use it all up. I think a major overhaul in the consumer culture is in order. How much useless junk do we really need? Savings are the lowest levels in years - the best defense against a slowing economy is savings.

Ok, well either way, I think that the media creates panic mode in a lot of people.

Don't you think that if people stop spending, more businesses will close, more jobs will be lost and less money goes back into the system?

Maybe I am just being too simple. Much more complex than all that, most likely. Ahhh, well...I do agree about the useless junk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: