Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 03:21 PM

51 posts, read 187,541 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be in Vegas for a week starting the 23rd. Monday we have interviews to try and transfer our apprenticeships, after that we want to go check out Zion. I'd really like to do the Narrows but we will only be there for 1 long day. I was thinking Angel's Landing, then ??? We both are in very good shape so hard trails are not a problem but time is. Any suggestions would be great. Also would like to go check out Lake Mead and maybe go to the beach but have no clue where. And wish us luck on the most important day of our lives. If we get in the apprenticeship there we will be set for the rest of our lives. If not, we will be traveling for work because Florida is a horrible place to try to make any $$ these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 04:32 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
Zion Nat. Park is in Utah. Try the Utah forum.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:54 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfbh View Post
My wife and I will be in Vegas for a week starting the 23rd. Monday we have interviews to try and transfer our apprenticeships, after that we want to go check out Zion. I'd really like to do the Narrows but we will only be there for 1 long day. I was thinking Angel's Landing, then ??? We both are in very good shape so hard trails are not a problem but time is. Any suggestions would be great. Also would like to go check out Lake Mead and maybe go to the beach but have no clue where. And wish us luck on the most important day of our lives. If we get in the apprenticeship there we will be set for the rest of our lives. If not, we will be traveling for work because Florida is a horrible place to try to make any $$ these days.
You are well informed. For a first time visitor to Zion, the two "must do" trails are Angel's Landing and the Narrows. If you only have one day, it would probably be best to plan on doing Angel's Landing because it is less impacted by weather. If the forecast calls for thunderstorms, the resulting flash floods can make the Narrows a very, very dangerous place to be. Rangers will usually warn you on this, but some people attempt to hike the river without talking to anyone ahead of time.

BTW, Angel's Landing is an incredible hike. You will be holding on to chains for the final quarter mile to the summit (and many people turn back before the chain-holding segment), but it is well worth the effort. Beautiful.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:04 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Get there very early for Angels Landing. I was in so-so shape when I did that trail years ago, and it took much longer than I thought going up..coming down was a breeze.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:33 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
I I personally like both the east rim and the west rim best. The east rim is probably the most scenic. The west rim continues on past the spur that goes to Angel's landing. I've always thought Angel's landing is worth doing at least once, but I am, or was before the heart said no mas, into longer distances. I don't think Angel's landing takes that long, but we always hiked sunup to sundown, so I don't know what is a long hike for others. This site says east and west rims are ten miles. I thought I remembered the west rim as at least 13 miles, RT. If you do Angel's Landing and you still have some steam left, come back to the main trail and go up instead of down. Turn around on top, or whenever you feel like it.

You didn't say where you are coming from, but you might need to take the altitude of Zion into consideration, as well as the narrow trails which look dangerous to anyone not used to them. My wife and I took an "experienced" hiker from Ohio up there one time and he hugged the side of the mountain all the way up and down. His face actually turned green. I'd heard that expression but had never seen it before that trip. If you're not used to it, that could slow you down and shorten your hike a little.

The beach at Lake Mead isn't hard to find but you might be disappointed. It's pretty rocky, and the beach isn't exactly soft sand. Plus it is way too hot out there right now. If you are coming to live here you'll have plenty of time to explore Lake Mead in the cooler months. Right now you wont like it as Mead is hotter than Las Vegas and we are still having 105º days, which translates to 108 -110 º out there. You might want to consider another day at Zion instead, or a day at Mount Charleston.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:17 PM

I forgot to include the site but you have probably seen it already.

Zion West Rim - Zion West Rim - zions west rim - west rim trail

Oh, yeah, when in Sprindale (town at the entrance to Zion), be sure to have dinner at the Bit & Spur. Best Mexican food for miles. http://www.bitandspur.com/

And the Bumbleberry Pie at the Bumbleberry Restaurant is worth the trip to Utah.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:15 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
You must have been in remarkable shape to say that Angels Landing wasn't a long hike. Going up, it's straight up! I've never dealt well with steep climbs, so for me, it was a tough one. I had to rest alot, but the others with me nonchalantly bounced on up. The entire thing up and down took us 6 hours because i had to keep resting or i'd pass out. And clinging in mortal fear to the chains at the top didn't help much either, since i was too afraid to let go for awhile. That ate up some time as well. lol
I'd like to think i could do that hike again someday, but i really wonder now. I was quite young when i attempted it the first time. Maybe i'll just stick to the 3 levels of the Emerald pools trail instead. I like that one when it's hot out.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
You must have been in remarkable shape to say that Angels Landing wasn't a long hike. Going up, it's straight up! I've never dealt well with steep climbs, so for me, it was a tough one. I had to rest alot, but the others with me nonchalantly bounced on up. The entire thing up and down took us 6 hours because i had to keep resting or i'd pass out. And clinging in mortal fear to the chains at the top didn't help much either, since i was too afraid to let go for awhile. That ate up some time as well. lol
I'd like to think i could do that hike again someday, but i really wonder now. I was quite young when i attempted it the first time. Maybe i'll just stick to the 3 levels of the Emerald pools trail instead. I like that one when it's hot out.
Most of the hikes we used to take would last all day. Usually at least 12 hours or more. Sun up to sun down was the norm. I climbed the 13,000+ Wheeler Peak about six months after by-pass surgery. After having a heart attack at age 43 the rehab folks really made me get into it, running, biking, hiking, skiing, etc., and was in better shape than I was at 18. I only did Angel's Landing one or two times. I think once it was just a side trip on the way to the top. It's not my favorite thing to do, as I get a little queasy near the edge like that, but I had to prove it was no big deal. As long as I have control, like something to hold on to such as the chains along that trail, or I can keep moving on the trail it's OK; but to stop at the edge and look down makes me seasick. My stomach does flip flops just looking at those old pix of the guys building skyscrapers in NY, or seeing someone on a ledge in a movie.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:33 PM

201 posts, read 964,118 times
+ 1 to Angel's landing. It does take some time so figure that in and i'm with Pink on the way up. Defer to the Rangers regarding the narrows & how high or low the water may be as mentioned above. You can easily pull off Angel's Landing and another shorter/different hike or two same day.

If you're staying overnight check out majesticview lodge. Majestic View Lodge

I've stayed there and really liked it. Great views!

Buzz has it right about Lake Mead. Not a lay down beach at all. You can rent jet skiis or go out on a lunch/dinner cruise type thing but it's still way hot. Mt. Charleston or even hiking Red Rock (upper elevations) would be a good plan B as well.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:31 PM

I think some of the best hikes in Zion are in the two Kolob Canyon areas. One is accessible off of I-15 just south of Cedar City (a nice place to go in itself). The other, Kolob Terrace, is accessed from the little community of Virgin just south of Springdale (main entrance to the park). Some of the hikes are relatively level. I'm from West Virginia where there are only two directions ─ up and down ─ and all my life I have hated walking up hill...but then how you gonna get to the other side? I hated it so much that when I was a little boy hauling my sled back up the hill after every belly whopper, in my mind I invented the snowmobile long before we had snowmobiles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas