Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 02:00 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
So I suppose you are disagreeing with the Metro Police Department who do feel they are a big problem? They seem to think it's a big problem in the city...
It is reasonably clear that there is gang activity of a troubling sort in Las Vegas. Much of the local homicides are gang related.

Gang episodes are however rare outside of the rougher areas. There is little in the suburban communities. That is why everybody had so much fun with the 311boyz.."gangbangers in the burbs". It really did not fly though...they were not in fact an ongoing criminal enterprise. More a party crew run amok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 07:35 PM

40 posts, read 219,223 times
personally I prefer the north - north/west

Old 01-11-2007, 08:31 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,690,452 times
could you give us a reason for that?

Old 04-16-2008, 12:58 AM

1 posts, read 5,712 times
Default Is Legacy Golf Club in Henderson NV a good neighborhood

Hi there,
My wife and I are planning to retire to Nevada.
I've been browsing some real estate listings for the Summerlin/Henderson areas.
I'm interested in some prospects near the Legacy Golf Club north of 215 and west of Stephanie; but don't know if it's a very good neighborhood. As retirees, safety is very important for us, as we'll be traveling often, and be away during the summers. Coming from Southern Cal, we can probably afford Summerlin, if it's really worth it. Is it?
Please advise.
Thank you very much in advance.
Tolv

Old 07-06-2008, 03:30 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,960,642 times
MOMARK, you posted in 2006 that prices were dropping like crazy, and for the OP to wait 6 months for outstanding deals no one would of believed. Its 2008, what are the deals like now? Give us an update if you can please.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:44 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,007,241 times
my opinion on prices, under 250k - steady, maybe up a notch, repos about the same price but size of house smaller -- over 250-400 dropping still (less than before but still dropping) -- over 400 still a ways to go, dropping (just my opinion from all the repo emails i get)

Old 07-06-2008, 03:36 PM

17 posts, read 66,651 times
Default Nlv

Why North Las Vegas? I heard that it is pretty nice. I'm also about to move out there, so that's why I ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arentol View Post
The replies here are spot-on. I've lived here for 25+ years and have lived in every corner of the valley.

Best spots (not in order of preference):

Henderson/Green Valley (southeast)
Summerlin (west/northwest)
Southwest (south of Charleston, west of Buffalo)
Centennial Hills (northwest: not great and probably a long commute, but some affordable homes in a nice area)
Boulder City
Anthem/Seven Hills: south valley and east of I-15
Mountains Edge/Southern Highlands: south and west of I-15

Avoid:

North Las Vegas
Northeast (e.g. Nellis Blvd, Sunrise Manor)
Central
Downtown
East (Winchester, Paradise)

Vegas areas map: Welcome to mylvn.com

Best of luck!

Arentol -

Old 07-06-2008, 04:16 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,007,241 times
Northwest Las Vegas - Best bang for the buck, hands down....
Summerlin- expensive
Mountains Edge- Lots of foreclosures, LIDS and SIDS
North Las Vegas IS NICE...not the old NorthLasVegas (eg Northtown).. go north of Craig road close to or north of 15.. however road construction is an issue
NorthEast - avoid
Central and Downtown - avoid, however Urban living in downtown is upcoming
I dont know much about the south yet except i hear that there are traffic issues

Old 07-20-2008, 10:34 PM

325 posts, read 963,811 times
I'm glad to see that this thread has updated. I'm beginning to take a look at possible retirement areas.

Here is my scenario:

I'll be looking at buying in the mountains of northern Utah and spending the winters and summers there. So, I'm looking at an easy one day drive to a place to spend my spring and fall. The Las Vegas area fits the bill.

My hot buttons would be:

Safety
Access to high quality health care
Pet friendly (currently have 3 dogs, but can't imagine not having at least 2
Access to I-15 north to cut the trip time
Views - if possible
Good restaurants

As you may have guessed, I'm not familiar at all with Las Vegas. I don't even know if there are communities built up on mountain "benches" that would provide views and hopefully lower temps.

A villa, with management in place would be ideal. A single family home is OK, if I can hire a reliable management company.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:22 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,416,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Northwest Las Vegas - Best bang for the buck, hands down....
Summerlin- expensive
Mountains Edge- Lots of foreclosures, LIDS and SIDS
North Las Vegas IS NICE...not the old NorthLasVegas (eg Northtown).. go north of Craig road close to or north of 15.. however road construction is an issue
NorthEast - avoid
Central and Downtown - avoid, however Urban living in downtown is upcoming
I dont know much about the south yet except i hear that there are traffic issues
i wonder if the people who say to avoid downtown have ever actually spent any time downtown (not in the bars, but in some of the neighborhoods). personally, at this point in my life i wouldn't want to live anywhere else in vegas. i have a short commute to work, i can walk to places i like to play, and i dig my neighborhood and my house. no HOAs, yards, shade....lotsa good stuff. depending on who you are and what you want, downtown living has some serious appeal (IMHO).

in fact, i have a colleague (currently lives down on warm springs) who has started looking around my neighborhood for when her lease is up as she really likes it here also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas