Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2009, 12:00 AM

1,558 posts, read 4,786,019 times

Advertisements

Welcome to North Las Vegas! Glad the move went well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 11:14 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,004,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschultze View Post
I'm finally here, actually I arrived Oct '08, and moved into a house west of 15 and north of Craig just like some other members have mentioned. And, I have to admit it; I love it here. It's not a bad area at all. Remember, as pointed out to me, stay west of the 15 & north of Craig, its nice.

where did you end up.. eldorado? aliante? i'm in the north too, its great

Old 03-19-2009, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 11,874 times
Hello everyone! I am new to this Forum thing but I will do my best. I have a question: I see that many of the responses regarding where the best area is to move in in Las Vegas advise to stay away from North Las Vegas; can anyone tell me why? I am looking to buy one income property (condo or house, whichever gets rented steadily) and someone told me to consider Aliante; Aliante is in north Las VEgas so should I stay away from it? why so? So I focus on Summerlin?

Old 03-19-2009, 11:23 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
There is a troubled area in southern NLV. The northern part of NLV is nice and similar to similar suburbs in Summerlin and GV but a good bit cheaper per SF.

Aliante is very nice.

It is doubtful you can find places in Summerlin that will give off cash as investments. You need under $80 per SF and preferably under $60.

You can find that on REOs in the NW and NLV. Hard elsewhere.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:18 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,473,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonicaR09 View Post
Hello everyone! I am new to this Forum thing but I will do my best. I have a question: I see that many of the responses regarding where the best area is to move in in Las Vegas advise to stay away from North Las Vegas; can anyone tell me why? I am looking to buy one income property (condo or house, whichever gets rented steadily) and someone told me to consider Aliante; Aliante is in north Las VEgas so should I stay away from it? why so? So I focus on Summerlin?
I have lived on North Las Vegas for about 8 years, love it. You need to stay North of Craig or Ann and West of the 15 freeway. The other areas of North Las Vegas is the ones that they say to stay away from.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:24 PM

844 posts, read 2,102,403 times
This area should have been called something else... like N Summerlin.

"North Vegas" is ingrained in society's mind as a bad place... even Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas touches upon the subject!

Old 03-19-2009, 06:32 PM

8 posts, read 21,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkme View Post
This area should have been called something else... like N Summerlin.

"North Vegas" is ingrained in society's mind as a bad place... even Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas touches upon the subject!
I agree...thats where Ill be living and I dont think its bad at all..but whenever I tell people, they get this funky unsure look on there face. People dont realize that some area of NLV are very nice

Old 04-25-2009, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,928 times
Hi, we are looking at living in the vegas area for 6 months out of year, and were wondering if buying a condo, or a house in a gated community . not sure which way would be the way to go.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:26 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber2 View Post
Hi, we are looking at living in the vegas area for 6 months out of year, and were wondering if buying a condo, or a house in a gated community . not sure which way would be the way to go.

Either works...as does a home in the age restricted communities if you are past 55.

Condos are the least expensive real estate wise but beware the HOA fees which may make them less desirable than an SFR.

It is also a life style question. Got pets? SFRs are simpler. And you can walk around your yard when you feel the urge. On the other hand condos have pools and work out rooms and, sometimes walking trails. There are also some nice gated town house communities which may work well.

I do recommend an alarm system on any house left vacant for a long period. The neighborhood teenagers always know which house is empty.

The REOs are the obvious place to look but you need some caution. Make sure the neighborhood is going to end up reasonable stable.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:23 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,666,755 times
Default Pickup Test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Got distracted by ole lexie...

There are very nice neighborhoods in both zips. There are also bad ones.

Check the percentage of renters. In general avoid blocks that are more than 25% renters. Do the pickup test. Stand in the middle of the street and rotate. See more than 10 pickups be cautious.

Some very nice houses and neighborhoods but be cautious.
I am also looking in the 89122 and 89142 area to buy a retirement home for cash. It so happens that I drive a pickup. Does that mean when I move in the neighbors are going to throw up their hands, roll their eyes and say "There goes the neighborhood"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas