Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 01:24 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Are you saying Walmart will match the produce prices advertised at the Mexican markets as well? They can be very, very low sometimes.

Also, LVDrunk, you should give it a second try. Besides great prices on produce, you need to check out their bakery and freshly baked tortillas. Some great stuff. Also, their cheese department is really good. They will give you pieces to sample if you want to try something new. I don't speak Spanish, and most of the help spoke mostly Spanish, but I found them to be very patient and helpful.

Also, some of the juice in the larger sizes can be a bargain. Their home made salsa is good as well as some other deli items. I don't mess much packaged or canned stuff. Oh, also, they sell the marinating juice there in the gallon for chicken. It makes it taste like the chicken they sell at Polo Loco.

Have you been to this one LVDrunk. It is supposed to be the nicest one. Read the comments and I like to see the pictures as well. There's over 100 of them.
Yes, Walmart matches their extremely low produce prices. As far as going into another one, never again. You nailed it on the reason I hate them. I cannot stand everyone around me speaking a language I that I do not understand. One time, I went to Filibertos's, and the two people working behind the counter were talking about me behind my back. I only found out because my best friend is Mexican, and he can speak both English and Spanish. The place I went to is below. It was store #3.

Mariana's SuperMarkets - Fresh Meat, Produce, Dairy, Groceries

Old 05-28-2012, 02:15 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecuse View Post
Hey Elle, have you ever tried tempeh? I just tried it for the 1st time a cpl months ago and really like it. I think it has all the benefits of tofu without the slimy consistency...i love the concept of good plant protein, but I cant get past the texture of tofu.
I have. It's good. The texture of tofu doesn't bother me but it is especially good fried, either deep fried or pan fried (though pan fried is messy).

Another good option is seitan. I have trouble finding it, but it's got a good cosistency. I make an vegetarian irish Guiness stew and pan fry seitan instead of beef.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
It wouldn't be slimy if you bought it, brought it home, tossed it into the freezer for a few days, thaw..then squeeze out the excess liquid before cooking. It then becomes more of a spongy consistency, like a hamburger feel to it. I always do this. The only time I don't do it is when I use silken tofu for desserts, dips and mayo's. Never freeze the silken variety.
A friend of mine who is vegan bakes her tofu, but I havent tried that yet.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:00 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
I've baked tofu. After marinating it. It's super good, especially in sandwiches.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:14 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
mmmmmm gimmee a bean curd sammich mmm mmm mmmmmmmm

Old 05-28-2012, 06:26 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
I am sorry everyone, but I can eat pretty much any dish that is naturally vegetarian and like it. However, tofu is gross, as is soy cheese, etc. That is my opinion of course, but I have tried a few fake vegan products that try to emulate the real thing at Sunflower, and I nearly threw up at the first bite. They all went right in the trash, and I have since learned my lesson.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am sorry everyone, but I can eat pretty much any dish that is naturally vegetarian and like it. However, tofu is gross, as is soy cheese, etc. That is my opinion of course, but I have tried a few fake vegan products that try to emulate the real thing at Sunflower, and I nearly threw up at the first bite. They all went right in the trash, and I have since learned my lesson.
You gotta try a lot more than a "few fake vegan" dishes, seriously. And I am always amazed when someone says they think tofu is gross. It has virtualy no flavor on its own, it is all in how it is prepared. A lot of Asian places really do it right. Once I even had a great BBQ "pulled pork" sandwich at a veggie restaurant made from tofu. I was suprised at how much I liked it considering I rarely like BBQ sauce at all, but I still TRIED.

I don't care for soy cheese, but I am not a huge fan of real cheese either.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:23 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
I don't eat soy cheese. I used to use the fake cheeses, but lost my interest in them along the way. But i do make my own fake cheese recipes. They taste great to me. One of the biggest secrets is the use of tahini. (sesame paste)Tofu is tasteless on it's own. It takes on whatever flavor you cook it with, so be creative. Check out tofu.com.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:07 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Nebraska is before Colorado on the route I have taken and it is BORING. OMG, it's just a whole lotta nothing once you get past Omaha and Lincoln. I will say at least Iowa has rolling hills and something to look at besides tumbleweeds and prairie dogs. Don't get me wrong, prairie dogs are cute and all, but after 4 hours of seeing nothing BUT prairie dogs, they kind of lose their charm LOL

What route are you taking?
We are taking the northern route. I have family in Omaha and that will be our first stop for that night. But, I have heard those two states to be pretty darn boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I am a cashier at a Super Walmart and I deal with ad matching all day long. Most of my customers do like you and make a list. All the cashiers have a copy of all the ads if there's any question about something. I also have my own personal 'cheat sheet' that I write up from the ads. I will know all the produce and dairy ads but leave it up to my customers to let me know about regular grocery items. I also ad match automatically, if I know the price, and some cashiers get a little 'huffy' about doing it. Don't know why...it ony takes a few seconds. Ad matching plus coupons nets some folks a hefty savings. I've only ever had one customer that I had to have a manager to complete their transaction. TONS of ad matches and coupons! I say good job!

We have Food City here, which I suppose could be classified as a Mexican grocery store. They really do have some of the best prices, especially their produce. However, in a lot of cases our Walmart produce is better and we sell a LOT of it, at Food City prices. Fresh corn was 16 cents each this week.
Good info and you sound like you have a great attitude about it. I say, "good for them" too. I once was behind a woman who had a whole excel sheet worked up for her price matching. It was actually interesting. It really doesn't bother me to wait, if I am in that much of a rush, I would have no business going to a Walmart to begin with!

Old 05-29-2012, 01:08 AM

127 posts, read 227,066 times
"I hope I'm not standing in line behind you, LVD, as you point out this and that from your flyers, using up the cashier's time, and aggravating everyone behind you! Frustrated, in a hurry, I might knock you over the head with a cucumber!"

My SIL does the Mexican paper at Walmart thing. She got tired of the people in line getting pi$$ed at her so she now warns everyone coming in behind her. They usually go to another line. My BIL moves away and pretends that he doesn't know her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas