Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 01:30 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I don't eat soy cheese. I used to use the fake cheeses, but lost my interest in them along the way. But i do make my own fake cheese recipes. They taste great to me. One of the biggest secrets is the use of tahini. (sesame paste)Tofu is tasteless on it's own. It takes on whatever flavor you cook it with, so be creative. Check out tofu.com.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
You gotta try a lot more than a "few fake vegan" dishes, seriously. And I am always amazed when someone says they think tofu is gross. It has virtualy no flavor on its own, it is all in how it is prepared. A lot of Asian places really do it right. Once I even had a great BBQ "pulled pork" sandwich at a veggie restaurant made from tofu. I was suprised at how much I liked it considering I rarely like BBQ sauce at all, but I still TRIED.

I don't care for soy cheese, but I am not a huge fan of real cheese either.

I know, different strokes for different folks. I cannot cook, so I tried the Amy's organics with tofu, soy cheese, etc, and it was gross. I do however love the regular pizza's, enchiladas, ravioli, and regular mac and cheese by Amy's. I am still willing to try any home cooked meals from either of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfpinlv View Post
"I hope I'm not standing in line behind you, LVD, as you point out this and that from your flyers, using up the cashier's time, and aggravating everyone behind you! Frustrated, in a hurry, I might knock you over the head with a cucumber!"

My SIL does the Mexican paper at Walmart thing. She got tired of the people in line getting pi$$ed at her so she now warns everyone coming in behind her. They usually go to another line. My BIL moves away and pretends that he doesn't know her.
One thing is I go out at 5 or 6 in the morning, so I should not have that problem. Not only that, but I do not buy much either when I shop. I am only a single guy.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:01 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
I think those Amy's meals are NASTY. and if you read the ingredients they aren't really healthy.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:21 AM

208 posts, read 350,625 times
Quote:
I think those Amy's meals are NASTY. and if you read the ingredients they aren't really healthy.
Thats true lvd...if its processed in a factory it probably isnt made with health in mind. Its all about taste and profit. Its a shame but most families are raising their kids on banquet chicken and tater tots and they call it a home cooked meal because they had to put it in an oven.

I get so upset when I see all the doomed fat kids out there. They eat horrible and then sit around their air conditioned houses and use some form electronics for their entertainment. Im not a fanatic about what I eat, but if you eat like crap all the time I think you will eventually end up feeling like crap.

Elle and Pink you guys are way more on top of nutrition than most...how are frozen vegetables? I know they aren't as good as fresh but they are cheap and easy for a single guy with a microwave. I keep a small bag of mixed veggies in the freezer at work in case I forget my lunch. Gotta be 1000x better than running down the road for fast food.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:28 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,491,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecuse View Post
Thats true lvd...if its processed in a factory it probably isnt made with health in mind. Its all about taste and profit. Its a shame but most families are raising their kids on banquet chicken and tater tots and they call it a home cooked meal because they had to put it in an oven.

I get so upset when I see all the doomed fat kids out there. They eat horrible and then sit around their air conditioned houses and use some form electronics for their entertainment. Im not a fanatic about what I eat, but if you eat like crap all the time I think you will eventually end up feeling like crap.

Elle and Pink you guys are way more on top of nutrition than most...how are frozen vegetables? I know they aren't as good as fresh but they are cheap and easy for a single guy with a microwave. I keep a small bag of mixed veggies in the freezer at work in case I forget my lunch. Gotta be 1000x better than running down the road for fast food.
This may help:

Compare Fresh Versus Frozen Vegetables | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 05-29-2012, 07:29 AM

208 posts, read 350,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Hey that was awesome. And fast! thanks

Old 05-29-2012, 07:40 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Good link.

Frozen veggies are fine, like the article says, as long as there isn't anything added. A bag of peas should just list peas as the ingredient. And the ones with sauces already added...nasty.

Fresh is best, frozen is good, canned is usually yuck. I use canned tomatoes for stuff like chili but otherwise rarely use canned veggies at all. Plus canned usually has other stuff added, like sugar, for no reason.

I was liking the "steam in the bag" veggies but now I am wondering what the bag is coated with to make it steam the food. I have recently learned about how bad microwave popcorn is due to the bag and the lining that makes it pop. I love popcorn, so I need to buy an air popper I guess.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:24 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,980 times
I don't know about whether there is stuff on those steamer bags, but you can do your own. I have done it with a paper bag and baby redskins and they turn out pretty good.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:30 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
Quote:

It depends on what you are comparing them too. The ingredients are at least all natural, mostly organic, and free from all the chemicals that you will find on all conventional frozen foods such as Banquet, Marie Callender's, Hungry Man, etc.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:34 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,124,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I don't know about whether there is stuff on those steamer bags, but you can do your own. I have done it with a paper bag and baby redskins and they turn out pretty good.
have you ever seen how paper is made>>>>>

Old 05-29-2012, 09:43 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,491,518 times
Quote:
Good link.

Frozen veggies are fine, like the article says, as long as there isn't anything added. A bag of peas should just list peas as the ingredient. And the ones with sauces already added...nasty.

Fresh is best, frozen is good, canned is usually yuck. I use canned tomatoes for stuff like chili but otherwise rarely use canned veggies at all. Plus canned usually has other stuff added, like sugar, for no reason.

I was liking the "steam in the bag" veggies but now I am wondering what the bag is coated with to make it steam the food. I have recently learned about how bad microwave popcorn is due to the bag and the lining that makes it pop. I love popcorn, so I need to buy an air popper I guess.
Any canned food is subject to leaching of the chemicals in the lining of the can. Also, canned foods tend to have higher sodium content.

We use a "steamer pot" for vegetables. It looks like a double boiler but the top half has holes in the bottom. It tends to work better than the expanding insert for steaming because it gives a good distance beteen the water and the food and holds the food better. Also the veggies are totally free of any additives. Even works to "refresh" a bagel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas