Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 07:58 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times

Advertisements

We have the larger cousin of a Pom [an american Eskimo [modifyied Spts] and a better breed has never walked ....Whe i was going thru the braindrain problems i fell on morning on the back patio ....i knew that eventually i would be able to get up ....and my wife couldnt do anything with a 338 lb beached whale but melissa laid by my side for 2 1/2 hours and NEVER left.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:01 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Enjoyed all of yer'all's comments on puppy dogs. I absolutely adore our Pomeranian and Chow Chow and how much love they have to share. Funny, back in 1991, when my wife and I were animal-less, I would ask people if they liked dogs. Seems to me more people like dogs now than 20 years ago!

I certainly do! We started out buying a Norwegian Forest cat from a pet store in the Bellis Fair Mall in Bellingham, WA, in Dec.1991. The cat turned out ta be an absolute doll and a loyal friend and companion to all of us for one day short of 16 years.

The first dog we got was a 3 y/o Pom named Abbey. She loved me so much and when that dog died in June of 2004 I thought a large swath of me died along with her. Since then our beloved Rocky (another Pom) lived a life shortened by heart troubles and he passed in Dec.2009.

We took on two shelter cats from Willcox, AZ, in Dec.2006, so we now have the two cats and the 4 y/o Chow Chow and Cotey, an 8 y/o Pom we bought in mid 2004 from a family in mid-Missouri.

I miss these babies so much after just going shopping in Spokane for several hours.

How could I ever be without animals now?
I can relate.

I've had cats all my life. The house I grew up in was the one all the strays found. My mom would take in and feed all she could, even catching some and having them fixed before letting them go again. We always had lots of cats in the house; I think we had around 20 at one point. My mom didn't have a job outside the home so she spent her days keeping the house clean with all of those cats!

In 1988 a little black and white tuxedo kitten showed up on our doorstep. I named her Sable and she was with me 15 years. When I moved into my first apartment they didn't allow cats, but after a few days I had to get her. My mom said that few days without me Sable was just as miserable as I was without her. She died in 2004, and I STILL miss her so much. She was really something special.

Now I have 3 cats, ages 18, 17, and 4. All unique personalities. Then 4 years ago I got my first dog, a sweet, shy little Chihuahua I named Diablo. I later found out the person I got him from was involved in a puppy mill so I was happy to have rescued him. Going from cats to a dog was a major learning experience! I have one cat that I have always said is like a dog...wrong. Now that I have dogs I know that no cats is ever like a dog!

Almost 2 years ago I adopted a second chihuahua, Lupe. Right from the start Diablo and Lupe have been buddies and she has REALLY brought Diablo out of his shell. She is very high energy and silly, and Diablo is mellow. They are a good balance. Getting her was therapy for me, too, as I was going through the worst part of the end of my marriage. She really helped me get through that! I miss them so much when I am away from them. When I was in Vegas I would sleep with pillows tucked around me they way they would sleep.

Kind of a funny story about how I got my youngest cat, O'Malley. I had been saying for awhile that I wanted an orange kitten, but the ex kept saying no more cats. Well, election day 2008 we went to a nearby pizza place to get a pizza to eat while we watched the election returns. The pizza wasn't quite done, so we walked to a petshop a couple doors down. They had orange kittens and they were so cute. The ex was again saying no. We left and got our pizza and headed to the car. In the lot I heard a meowing. I went toward the sound and sitting there was...an orange kitten. Without thinking I scooped him up and took him into the car. The ex said "What are you doing?" I said "Taking him home!" It was like he was put there for me.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:19 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,816,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post

...so I was happy to have rescued him.

...Without thinking I scooped him up and took him into the car.
Rescued....scooped...
Key words.
Buddah bless you for saving an animal in need.

I know and understand why people pay for animals.
The ones in the pet shops are hard to pass up.
But if people could stop by a local shelter FIRST..BEFORE GOING TO A PET SHOP..
...well there's some loving felines and doggies there too that are just as cute.
Plus..you'd be saving an animal from being put down.
Order of importance in my life:
1-my wife
2-rest of my family
3-me
4- my cats
5-my hidden stash of Oreo cookies

Dammit---Elle for President I say!

Old 09-08-2012, 09:55 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
My dogs don't replace people connections. Their companionship and love is different and I wouldn't trade it for anything. But they are drama free and always happy to see me. It is impossible to come home in a bad mood when you are greeted by 2 dancing chihuahuas who want to tackle you and cover you with kisses. No man has ever danced with glee because I came in the door

On the other...I need to make up for lost time!

Then, yep, you did choose the wrong man! And you have missed out if you have never seen them dance with glee when you come in the door! Try living apart for a while...worked for me! This is why I am in MI after only two months in LV! He was just getting too used to me being there! I can't wait to go back and watch him dance!

I think people wait too long with the wrong one, they KNOW far before the end that they are with the wrong one, but they get scared, lazy or accepting of the situation. I am talking before marriage. It's like playing slots, if the first few pulls don't pay off...MOVE ON and find one that hits right away!

...or get a pet.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Rescued....scooped...
Key words.
Buddah bless you for saving an animal in need.

I know and understand why people pay for animals.
The ones in the pet shops are hard to pass up.
But if people could stop by a local shelter FIRST..BEFORE GOING TO A PET SHOP..
...well there's some loving felines and doggies there too that are just as cute.
Plus..you'd be saving an animal from being put down.
Order of importance in my life:
1-my wife
2-rest of my family
3-me
4- my cats
5-my hidden stash of Oreo cookies

Dammit---Elle for President I say!
LOL!!

Right now my animals are the top of my list. Oreos don't even make the cut (I dont much care for sweets). Heck I beat a wild animal off my baby a month or so ago! I put them before myself, and if I only had a dollar I would buy them food first.

The only pets I have ever purchased were mice, but I even saved a wild one once! The ex was doing pest control and came across a baby mouse stuck to a glue board, struggling for its life. (He always hated those traps) He brought the mouse home and we freed the little thing with vegetable oil. Then I went to WalMart and bought the little guy a $25 cage. We had him as a pet for 3 years! I would put him in a hamster ball and let him run around the house while I cleaned his cage...much to the amusement of the cats

Mice are sweet little pets. So cute.

You know the story of the Rainbow Bridge? Where they say pets that have passed on go to wait for their owners to join them? Well, I tell my mom that when she goes, there will be a cat stampede waiting for her. She has never turned away a cat that needed her, and that is one thing I am proud to say I learned from her.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Then, yep, you did choose the wrong man! And you have missed out if you have never seen them dance with glee when you come in the door! Try living apart for a while...worked for me! This is why I am in MI after only two months in LV! He was just getting too used to me being there! I can't wait to go back and watch him dance!

I think people wait too long with the wrong one, they KNOW far before the end that they are with the wrong one, but they get scared, lazy or accepting of the situation. I am talking before marriage. It's like playing slots, if the first few pulls don't pay off...MOVE ON and find one that hits right away!

...or get a pet.
I can't wait to live apart. LOL

The sad thing about my story is I always thought he WAS the one. We often talked about how we were meant to be. Then one day things started to change.

I believe everything happens for a reason and there are no coincidences. And I think some people come into our lives for a short time and others for a long time. The time I spent with him made me what I am today and set me on the path I am on now. So I don't really look at it as a waste of time. It's now just time to move on. Onward and upward!

Old 09-08-2012, 12:17 PM

Old 09-08-2012, 12:18 PM

Default It's OFFICIAL!

Just got back from Walmart and Costco.....CHRISTMAS STUFF IS ON THE SHELVES!

Old 09-08-2012, 05:27 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,160,812 times
Did you see any solar powered Christmas lights? That is what we will be going with this yesar, or at least try to.

Hope I do not have to buy them all online.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:35 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,291,990 times
I was in Costco on Thursday and saw the Christmas displays so Staggers breaking news is a little old.
I like the LED flower tree's. They would be great for a back yard any time of year. Securely attached to something because it's breezy most of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas