Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 05:10 PM

990 posts, read 1,655,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I was watching the news last night, and this one has got to be one of the dumbest stories I have ever seen. I could not believe this even made the prime time news.

Las Vegas woman sees Jesus on toilet seat - KTNV ABC,Channel 13,Las Vegas,Nevada,News,Weather,Sports,Entertainment,KTN V.com,Action News .:. (http://www.ktnv.com/global/story.asp?s=10841809 - broken link)
Looks like Charles Manson to me.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:44 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,667,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I was watching the news last night, and this one has got to be one of the dumbest stories I have ever seen. I could not believe this even made the prime time news.

Las Vegas woman sees Jesus on toilet seat - KTNV ABC,Channel 13,Las Vegas,Nevada,News,Weather,Sports,Entertainment,KTN V.com,Action News .:. (http://www.ktnv.com/global/story.asp?s=10841809 - broken link)
You've never had a religious experience while sitting on the toilet, LV?

Old 08-04-2009, 07:56 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Default Just waiting for the big shake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
Any one besides me that is bored with the rumdum questions we've been getting? Should we stay at Circus Circus or Imperial Palace or should we buy in Green Valley or Summerlin? I'm seriously so frustrated with nothing to sink my teeth into, or any controversary, that I considering signing in under a new name and asking something that will shake things up a little bit.
You do know that Las Vegas has the potential for a 6.0+ earthquake and the clock is merely ticking away at just when and where it will happen.

This will definitely, absolutely shake things up here! And then you'll soon grow satiated with all those related posts:

Was there much damage in your area of town? What were you doing when it happened, posting on city-data.com? How many were going to the bathroom when it happened and what was it like as the water beneath you swished back and forth in the toilet bowl? Did you see the Stratosphere Tower sway back and forth and did you see someone panic and jump?

Are you ready for that?

Old 08-04-2009, 08:02 PM

Default "Meaty" topics everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Maybe people realize it is tough to get past the big guys in this forum so when they want a "meaty" conversation topic they go to other forums, like religion or politics where they are allowed more freedom?
I can spend a whole evening on ANY state forum and find lots of "meaty" topics going on. I spent almost two entire evenings recently just on the West Virginia forums. Even North Dakota I find interesting. I might bounce from from Delaware to Alaska to Food to Books to Politics to Relationships. Never enough time and too many choices. I love the World Forum as well, and you don't need a passport or visa to enter it.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:56 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,473,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You do know that Las Vegas has the potential for a 6.0+ earthquake and the clock is merely ticking away at just when and where it will happen.

This will definitely, absolutely shake things up here! And then you'll soon grow satiated with all those related posts:

Was there much damage in your area of town? What were you doing when it happened, posting on city-data.com? How many were going to the bathroom when it happened and what was it like as the water beneath you swished back and forth in the toilet bowl? Did you see the Stratosphere Tower sway back and forth and did you see someone panic and jump?

Are you ready for that?
LOL, Funny you should bring this up. Was having a conversation with my Mother In Law today, about how great Vegas is. Really no Earth quakes, no tornadoes, nothing really weather wise, except for the occasional flood. We have beautiful weather (if you like the heat). Not much snow, but if we want to see the snow or ski we have Mt. Charleston. If you want to go boating the you have Lake Mead, or fishing at Floyd Lamb State Park. I love Vegas!

Now I think I just jinxed myself.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:17 PM

Default From what I've read.............

I've read various predictions about the size of earthquake Las Vegas is capable of having, and I've heard 6.7 a number of times. That would be equal to the one they had in Northridge in California in 1994. Right? But we're talking here of a once every hundred year or more event. Apparently there's a fault line that runs over near Frenchman/Sunrise Mountains.

And I do remember that quake that went off in the middle of the Mojave Desert sometime in the last 10 years or so, at 7.6, which, luckily occured in an area with little or no population, but being only 100 miles from Las Vegas. Only some bridges and roads were damaged, luckily.I recall there were some alarmed tourists running down the stairs of some of the hotels. That quake sure fooled the seismologists and it was way off their maps where they're always expecting one along the San Andreas Fault.
Surprise! Surprise!

Last edited by tijlover; 08-04-2009 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: Add a line

Old 08-04-2009, 11:20 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,473,379 times
I, for one, do not want a surprise, surprise! LOL

Old 08-05-2009, 02:43 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,294,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz View Post
Looks like Charles Manson to me.
Yes, it does look like Charles Manson behind bars like some office workers voted on.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:47 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,294,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've read various predictions about the size of earthquake Las Vegas is capable of having, and I've heard 6.7 a number of times. That would be equal to the one they had in Northridge in California in 1994. Right? But we're talking here of a once every hundred year or more event. Apparently there's a fault line that runs over near Frenchman/Sunrise Mountains.

And I do remember that quake that went off in the middle of the Mojave Desert sometime in the last 10 years or so, at 7.6, which, luckily occured in an area with little or no population, but being only 100 miles from Las Vegas. Only some bridges and roads were damaged, luckily.I recall there were some alarmed tourists running down the stairs of some of the hotels. That quake sure fooled the seismologists and it was way off their maps where they're always expecting one along the San Andreas Fault.
Surprise! Surprise!
I was in Riverside,Ca for the 1994 Northridge quake. Talk about a major waker-upper! Man, everything was swaying and falling. I was almost killed by bookcases and giant speakers falling off the headboard. (never kept speakers on the headboard after that and moved the bookcases out of the room)
Cats ran and hid. Birds were going nuts. And that was in a single story house.
It might be more fun in a 2 story house. My whole neighborhood sits on a fault line. So it should be interesting when it comes.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:08 AM

2,753 posts, read 6,667,887 times
And I was at work at the Clarion Inn Napa Valley (now the Napa Valley Marriott) as a PBX Operator when Loma-Prietta hit, and knocked out some big sections in the SF Bay Area. Fifty miles (plus?) north, and the chandeliers were swinging.

I'm now a member of the Desert Cab Mafia! I've got my orientation on Sunday, with my ride along on Monday. I pray that I'm able to get the swing of things quickly, and get a regular shift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas