Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 10:11 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,066,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
You wont offend me NLVgal, Orlando is just like Vegas in a sense that you either love it or hate it. And we get people over in the Orlando forum constantly bashing us the same way people in the Vegas forum do

As far as Orlando vs Vegas. I am still torn on which city I like more. Though I do know money and job opportunities are much better in Las Vegas than they are back here

On the other hand, most of my friends, and all of my family are here, and there are certain places in Orlando that feel like home to me that no place in Vegas could ever replicate
I was recently on a photo thread on Orlando, and given I haven't been to Orlando since 1976, I was excitingly surprised at the increasing urbanization of the downtown area, lots of new high rise housing.
I could easily see Orlando becoming a great urban center in the south, an Atlanta furthur south.

So why leave Orlando for Las Vegas? Light rail will come to Orlando long, long before Las Vegas even gives it any serious consideration!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:46 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,585,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I was recently on a photo thread on Orlando, and given I haven't been to Orlando since 1976, I was excitingly surprised at the increasing urbanization of the downtown area, lots of new high rise housing.
I could easily see Orlando becoming a great urban center in the south, an Atlanta furthur south.

So why leave Orlando for Las Vegas? Light rail will come to Orlando long, long before Las Vegas even gives it any serious consideration!
They tried bringing light rail to Orlando back in 1999, that project got killed real quick. After 4 years of political bickering, the State finally approved funds for a commuter rail project last year called SunRail, a diesel powered commuter train using existing tracks that go through our downtown area parallel to I-4, one station is going to be just 2 miles from my family's house. Its going to be 61 miles long and run from Deltona to the exurb of Poinciana south of Kissimmee and built in 2 phases. My neighborhood is in the 2nd phase and will not be getting our SunRail station for another 3 years

As to why I'm leaving....the issues that made me want to leave the first time are still here, the hoarding, the family asking (more like forcing) me to bail them out because they dont feel like paying bills, the bad behavior, its not a family at all, its every man for himself. Its only stressing me out and I am more unhappy here than I was in Las Vegas with my horrible ex gf

The job situation is not very good in this town either. Our unemployment rate may be on par with the national average but that is because so many people have dropped out of the work force, nobody here is hiring, even for the low paying suck jobs like mine. Is it sad at all that I have more leads for jobs in a city thats 2500 miles away than in the city where I actually live?

I don't want to earn $9.65 an hour forever at 28-34 hours a week at my current job forever. I'm not going to move up, and I'm not going to get full time. I need to go to school and get a degree otherwise I'll be stuck like this forever

If I were back in Vegas, I'd be living life on my terms, doing what Davie wants to do. And I cant (and wont) make the same mistake twice about getting together with the first girl I meet like the first time. That ruined it for me

And lastly, due to a medical condition I found out I have, I want to do what I want to do, take my chances while I'm not tied down to a career and just do it. Who knows how much longer I'll be around? Why play it safe when I can actually live my life the way I want?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:34 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,128,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post

If I were back in Vegas, I'd be living life on my terms, doing what Davie wants to do. And I cant (and wont) make the same mistake twice about getting together with the first girl I meet like the first time. That ruined it for me

And lastly, due to a medical condition I found out I have, I want to do what I want to do, take my chances while I'm not tied down to a career and just do it. Who knows how much longer I'll be around? Why play it safe when I can actually live my life the way I want?
Go for it, kid. Somewhere around age 25, someone hits the fast-forward button and you wake up in your forties wondering WTF happened if you don't take charge. You can trust me on this one.

I hope your medical condition is not as serious as it sounds.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:04 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,950,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Go for it, kid. Somewhere around age 25, someone hits the fast-forward button and you wake up in your forties wondering WTF happened if you don't take charge. You can trust me on this one.

That is a fact. One that I didn't pay much attention to when my parents said it to me.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:33 PM

[orphaned]
Medical advances are coming in leaps and bounds these days. You are young, and that definitely helps.

My advice? (Not that anyone asked) Save up a little money, and hop a flight to Jamaica this coming spring for a vacation. You'll fly into Mo-Bay. Ask for a cabbie known as Yogi and tell him you want to go to Ocho Rios. Hit up Dolphin Bay where you can swim with the dolphins, and then take the bike tour up to the Blue Mountain. (You ride up, bike down). Stay out of Kingston. If you decide to climb the falls, get the water shoes.

Live, kid! None of us knows when our time is up.

Last edited by observer53; 12-18-2012 at 06:45 AM..

Old 12-17-2012, 12:39 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,301,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post

I don't agree with that at all. My 30s went on forever and they were not good times. I'm happy to be rid of them and wish I could have fast forwarded thru much of it!

Old 12-17-2012, 12:50 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,162,924 times
My 30s seemed to have lasted forever, and I am only 32. Another long 8 years to go.

Good times.

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 12-17-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I don't agree with that at all. My 30s went on forever and they were not good times. I'm happy to be rid of them and wish I could have fast forwarded thru much of it!
My thirties had their ups and downs as well. Now I look back and think about decisions I made, or that I didn't make, and it weighs on me. Don't mind me. My birthday is Wednesday and today is the second anniversary of my mom's untimely death, so I'm a bit melancholy.

It did seem to go by very quickly though- my youth. Maybe it was raising the kids, or the break-neck pace of my job. Maybe it was too much beer.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:57 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,162,924 times

Posted from Nokia 8210

Old 12-18-2012, 10:15 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,869,619 times
Elle Tea, are your moving to Vegas plans still in the works? I was thinking your plans were for January? We are supposed to get snow in Nebraska tomorrow and it made me think of you, knowing how much you hate the cold. Hope all goes well for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas