Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 06:30 PM

211 posts, read 985,449 times

Advertisements

and stays in Vegas,, I really hate the heat,, I know some people really like this weather and I cant understand that, but I guess to each their own,, but does anyone hate this weather but deals with it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 07:33 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Sure there are people who hate the heat and stay in Vegas. You learn to deal with it just like the long snowy cold winters in the north. And you know it's temporary.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:22 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,960 times
Sure! I lived there almost 10 years ... my husband had no problem with the heat and he worked in a job that had him outdoors in it most of the day. I guess he got used to it. On the other hand, I never liked the heat. So most of the hot months I spent indoors or in an air conditioned car. Always in air...it's too hot to be without. But I never liked it, I just dealt with it. I don't like temperature extremes though whether it's hot or cold.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:50 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
I too work outdoors 12 hours in the summer sometimes. I just hydrate and wear lots of sunblock. I rather work in 100+ than work in very cold weather which I think is harder to bear than heat. Plus you can always jump in a pool and cool off. I also love the sunshine, and we get a lot of it here in Vegas

Old 05-20-2007, 09:16 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
100º and 10% humidity is much easier to take than 80º and 80% humidity. Once you get used to it you'll never again want to go anywhere in summer where there is the slightest bit of humidity. That said, after all the summers I've been here I have to say that it is somehow changing. Years ago when this was a small town the sunners were more bearable for some reason. It might be that more cement and blacktop makes it hotter at ground level, or it may be all the vegetation that was brought in here, or it could be all the swimming pools raising the humidity slightly, or maybe it's air pollution from all the traffic...or it could be a combination of all those things. But I know that the heat is harder on people nowadays for some reason. The heat is one reason we have decided to try and move to Albuquerque where it is still dry, but not as hot.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:18 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times
100º and 10% humidity is much easier to take than 80º and 80% humidity. Once you get used to it you'll never again want to go anywhere in summer where there is the slightest bit of humidity. That said, after all the summers I've been here I have to say that it is somehow changing. Years ago when this was a small town the summers were more bearable for some reason. It might be that more cement and blacktop makes it hotter at ground level, or it may be all the vegetation that was brought in here, or it could be all the swimming pools raising the humidity slightly, or maybe it's air pollution from all the traffic...or it could be a combination of all those things. But I know that the heat is harder on people nowadays for some reason. The heat is one reason we have decided to try and move to Albuquerque where it is still dry, but not as hot. I do know a lot of locals who were born and raised here before air conditioning and they have some interesting stories about how they coped with the heat.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:19 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
I don't mind the heat as long as I'm not out in it during the day. I just cannot handle that.
Out in the evening is tolerable, and quite nice. Even when it's 110 out.
The winters here are the easiest to handle. I'm always out much more than the summers.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:05 PM

255 posts, read 361,610 times
It's not the heat that bothers me. It's the sun. Even on the warmest days when tempatures are over 100 degrees the heat is easy to handle if you can find some shade and avoid direct exposure to the sun.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:59 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,600 times
Well, Buzz has got it right, it seems much hotter than it used to be even though the highs are approximately the same. What I mean is that it doesn't cool down at night like it used to. Back in the 60s when there were few people here (and an accompanying lack of yards, traffic, pools, etc.) it would usually cool down 30 degrees at night. Now, we're lucky to see it cool down 20 degrees and most of the time, only about 15 degrees in the summer. Couple that with the little more humidity we now get and it makes it much harder to endure the summers. Add in some global warming and our summers now lasting from early-mid May into September and you've got a pretty warm place!

Old 05-22-2007, 08:01 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosati View Post
It's not the heat that bothers me. It's the sun. Even on the warmest days when tempatures are over 100 degrees the heat is easy to handle if you can find some shade and avoid direct exposure to the sun.
That I have to totally agree with. When the sun is not beating on you the heat is okay, it's the sun burning your skin that makes the days uncomfortable. I hate the feeling of the sun beating on the skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas