Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 01:45 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,007,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
We are not standoffish. We just have a deep respect for the privacy for others and mind our own business. I much rather have the simple nod or hello than the neighborhood snoop bringing you cookies and then spying on you all hours of the day and night to report the neighborhood friar your business at their weekly bridge club session.
i agree except i don't even see the simple nod and hello.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 05:57 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,585,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
We are not standoffish. We just have a deep respect for the privacy for others and mind our own business. I much rather have the simple nod or hello than the neighborhood snoop bringing you cookies and then spying on you all hours of the day and night to report the neighborhood friar your business at their weekly bridge club session.
oh dear god how i wish orlando was like that, something else i will not miss upon moving to las vegas

Old 02-07-2010, 07:45 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,950,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
i agree except i don't even see the simple nod and hello.....

Then give them yours...

Old 02-08-2010, 11:20 AM

15 posts, read 45,723 times
your own perception is in fact your own reality ... i've lived all up in down the eastern coast (maine to miami), a little time in chicago/milwaukee, a few months over in sacramento. 10 yrs in Houston. I just relocated here a couple of weeks ago. I may or may not be able to find suitable employment so that I can stay. But what I've found over the years is that happiness and contentedness seems to have very little to do with actual geography. there are positive and negative forces EVERYWHERE. so far, i've run into some of the seamy side of vegas but i've also run into quite a few swell folks who are making me feel more than welcome. I think you gotta stay on your toes and not let yourself get taken advantage of, but you also have to avail yourself to smiling or speaking to the stranger in starbucks. and take it all with a huge grain of salt. i've found flaws with everyplace i've ever lived. but also found a great number of shiny gems.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
What never ceases to amaze me is the posters who move to Vegas, after doing research and asking questions about what it is like here, then get here and complain that the things they were looking for don't exist.

For example, when I first came on this board, I was looking for answers to some questions I had about the areas, schools, bugs and such. The regulars (here) came on and answered those questions. Since they were the ones living here, I could only go by what they said and then make my decison based on that. I LEARNED from them that the school system wasn't the best. I learned you had to have a car to get around because mass transit wasn't the best. I learned the summer heat was brutal and the windy days were many. I learned it was brown with flecks of green. I learned there was a lack of culture in ways that NY has. I learned the economy was based mainly on the service industry and that jobs were not all that easy to come by. I learned about the various areas and which ones were better than others and why. I learned that as far as a sense of community, it was different because of the transient nature and the diversity of the city, but that if you searched out people who have the same interests you do, you can create your own community of good people. EVERYTHING I questioned I was given answers to and when I moved, armed with this knowledge, I knew what to expect and it was right on.

What I couldn't see from the boards was just how beautiful the lights were. The beauty of the mountains. Red Rock, Mt. Charleston and Lake Mead. I had to actually SEE that and it takes my breath away again and again. I couldn't see that everyone I spoke to actually smiled and spoke to me. Even when I didn't say anything to them. The cashiers, the bartenders, the baggers, random people in the stores. All super friendly. I was not use to that in MI so I didn't know what I was missing. People would greet me and I would actually turn to see if they were speaking to someone behind me. I couldn't see beyond the Strip, until I actually went beyond it.

So, my point is, if there are certain things that are important to you such as; mass transit, schools, community spirit, culture, lottery, major sports teams...then do the research and move accordingly. If you did the research and knew these things, then shame on you. It is not the city that gives the negative vibes...it is you. It is your own feelings of discontent. People with those feelings will continue to draw the negative vibes to themselves and only see the "dark side" of everything. Newness is always exciting until it isn't. Psychology 101.
Well said!

Old 07-19-2014, 01:19 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,128,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czsloopy View Post
Well said!
This town eats some people alive. Others thrive here.

I always say that you've got to be a tough mutha to survive in the desert.

(Especially this time of year- I think we all want to move to Seattle right now)

People here are not so much unfriendly as cautious. You make your core group of friends, and that is who you tend to stick to.
I tell everyone who is moving here to join a co-ed softball league. You meet some people. You play a little ball, you talk a litt;e smack, you drink a little beer.

Next thing you know, you have friends. Lots of them.

Vegas people drive like ***** though. That is no exaggeration. It wasn't always this way, but it is now.

We can only swim in the river we are in, peeps.

--Steph

Old 07-19-2014, 03:06 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,001,725 times
I dunno why this thread was resurrected. It's done teething and ready for preschool.

But for the benefit of those with Las Vegas burnout, my solution to the problem was to find things that I like about this place and do them every weekend. And what I like about Las Vegas turns out to be the area immediately surrounding the city -- ghost towns, state and national parks, that sort of thing.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:57 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,485,829 times
All I can say is even though while there in LV I didn't make much money....I had been able to save quite a bit in a short time...now that I'm working the oilfields in TX and supposedly making big bucks, I'm broke!

I'm trying to get back to Vegas as fast I can!

Better quality of life...smarter people too!

Believe it or not, I was asking for Mozzarella cheese at Subway (in TX) and the girl making my two ingredient sub did NOT know what Mozzarella was! I had to guide her to it and then she said Oh, the grated cheese.

Never mind that no one here seems to know what Provolone is....at all! fuggetaboutit!

Oh and don't even get me started on there being nowhere to go shooting here! In Vegas I can head in any direction and find a range. I always tended to wind up at American Shooters though!

Old 07-19-2014, 05:37 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,434,361 times
What a great revived old thread...... made me smile reading comments from folks who don't post anymore. I visit Las Vegas every year, and love the place. But, I can see how some people suffer burnout.

But, once you get away from the strip, it is a very interesting town. I just love riding the bus way down Boulder Highway past Sam's Town. Las Vegas opens up down there, and you recognize you really are in a desert.

I would love to live in Las Vegas, but, as a foreigner, this isn't possible sadly. I content myself with annual visits, admire the beautiful sunsets, and envy the Americans who live in such a great city.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:07 AM

128 posts, read 139,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Been here 12 years, with a 2 year stint in Reno mixed in, and I'm just done with it. I used to absolutely love this place, but the community spirit is getting worse by the month. In these tough times we are seeing the true colors of our neighbors. For every can do person you find 20 who complain about something dumb and then say the world is going to end. And no matter how many years I go through it, summer never gets easier.

Can't believe all these people who want to move her don't realize how this all wears on you. I have lived in a handful of other places and this is off the charts negative with zero community spirit. But there is a reason why such a large percentage who move here eventually leave.
I noticed people are developing nasty attitudes, oh and the shootings, glad I escaped never to return to that hell hole California is way better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas