Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 05:02 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,243,901 times

Advertisements

Boulder Ridge by Christopher Homes (http://boulderridgelv.com/gallery.html - broken link)

A really fun thing I enjoy doing is touring the higher end properties, like the ones featured in the link above and take note of the design trends.

You can buy a less expensive home, say with 10' ceilings, and create a loft like appearance with a little elbow grease if you can do the work yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 09:40 PM

515 posts, read 1,180,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grofica View Post
yeah i know the glass would be expensive but other then that... i had a few really modest ideas for the inside (i am a minimalist anyway) i want concret floors and plain white cabinates... actually i would do the entire house in white...

well thats my little dream anyway... (sigh)
I've been contemplating the same general idea for a year or so now. I've concluded I'd have to go custom to get it done right.

If you are interested in the custom route, check into prestressed concrete and concrete polishing. It seems like it should be possible to build a "boxy" house of prestressed concrete - where the slabs are poured to exact specs at the factory and shipped out on trucks to the site to be assembled with a crane in only a couple of days. Configuring the slabs for windows is relatively low cost too.

Concrete polishing works incredibly well for floors, if you stain it right, it can look like marble and will last forever under residential conditions. Googling around for images of polished concrete will turn up some really stunning examples. I have yet to find someone who talks about it on their website, but it seems like you ought to be able to polish the concrete walls at the factory too, for a practically paintless home.

Prestressed hollow-core planks make flat roofs and even roof-decks really easy to do too. Plus, the insulation ability of precast walls is very good.

Here's one place that makes them with lots of good info on specifications, I was looking at them for a florida build - trucking costs to Vegas would be too much. But there are surely similar precast manufacturers in the west too.

Prefabricated Homes and Buildings from Precast Concrete Walls - Standard Precast Walls

Old 02-05-2010, 11:30 PM

508 posts, read 1,021,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post
I've been contemplating the same general idea for a year or so now. I've concluded I'd have to go custom to get it done right.

If you are interested in the custom route, check into prestressed concrete and concrete polishing. It seems like it should be possible to build a "boxy" house of prestressed concrete - where the slabs are poured to exact specs at the factory and shipped out on trucks to the site to be assembled with a crane in only a couple of days. Configuring the slabs for windows is relatively low cost too.

Concrete polishing works incredibly well for floors, if you stain it right, it can look like marble and will last forever under residential conditions. Googling around for images of polished concrete will turn up some really stunning examples. I have yet to find someone who talks about it on their website, but it seems like you ought to be able to polish the concrete walls at the factory too, for a practically paintless home.

Prestressed hollow-core planks make flat roofs and even roof-decks really easy to do too. Plus, the insulation ability of precast walls is very good.

Here's one place that makes them with lots of good info on specifications, I was looking at them for a florida build - trucking costs to Vegas would be too much. But there are surely similar precast manufacturers in the west too.

Prefabricated Homes and Buildings from Precast Concrete Walls - Standard Precast Walls
now this is a FABULOUS idea.... i love it.... i am going to check that out!!!!

yeah i have done some reasearch on the stained concret... thats why i wanted just plain concret floors. im not into the marble but i would want to stain in like pure white tile... im sort of serious when i say i want to keep it really plain... i have been looking at totally white cabinates and white furniture... i know that sounds sort of plain but when its all together it looks amazing....

this a a few of my ideas for the inside... keep in mind they are just ideas... i dont know i just love monocromatic... i would do a brighter shade of white see pics below and i so wouldnt do brown but i love how... hospital clean it looks.

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae165/Grofica82/modern-home-design-photo-gallery.jpg (broken link)

this is a gorgous kitchen but i wouldnt do two sinks... thats sort of overkill... and that table is ugly...

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae165/Grofica82/Minimalist-Modern-House-Plans-by-1.jpg (broken link)

this is how i would want all the floors....

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae165/Grofica82/white-tile.jpg (broken link)

and i would want all the closets in the house like this.... which really isnt very different from a regular closet only no doors and the inside is done in color.... maybe a little more shallow....

but again look at the closets in contrast to that beautiful floor....

i would do 1 entry closet for coats too and then one entry closet for shoes and house shoes... (we dont wear shoes in our home) i just think it would be nice to have a spot that was built in instead of buying a rack for them... i cant stand clutter...

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae165/Grofica82/nendo01.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-06-2010, 12:19 AM

I grew up in the asian style of going barefoot at home. Now that I'm living in a house with all hardwood floors I've noticed that my feet get sore if I walk or stand too much versus the carpeted house I lived in previously. I've read that concrete floors are even less forgiving than hardwood. I'm thinking throw rugs may be necessary to compensate.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiminani View Post
I grew up in the asian style of going barefoot at home. Now that I'm living in a house with all hardwood floors I've noticed that my feet get sore if I walk or stand too much versus the carpeted house I lived in previously. I've read that concrete floors are even less forgiving than hardwood. I'm thinking throw rugs may be necessary to compensate.

ewwww no way.... to much carpeting is so unsanitary... do you know how many germs stay in those things...

your not supposed to walk around barefoot inside a home... having bare feet right on the cold hardwood or any floor really is sooooo bad... if your feet get cold your body will get cold... seriously... thats why you wear Papuče inside the house... each person has their own and then usually a couple for guests...

ewwww bare feet

http://www.moldava.rimkat.sk/image/200612121046_papuce.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-06-2010, 01:28 AM

Lol. Vegas is a little bit warmer than CZ.
Nothing wrong with bare feet as long as you keep em clean.
Especially if you go with radiant heating, then bare feet will be the warmest part of the body.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:26 AM

but radiant heating in concret floors???? electric is unbelievably expensive in vegas.

but me myself i am something of a germaphob... i would never let anyone walk around the house barefoot. but then again i dont even share my keyboard on my computer...

i use antibacterial cleaners on EVERYTHING. seriously... fortunatly my hubby doesnt mind... at least he knows everything is clean but yeah i am so bad i keep hand sanitizer with me at all times.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:06 AM

Water-based radiant heating. It is very efficient and is ideal for concrete floors.

As for being a germaphobe - that may will kill you. There is mounting evidence that the more antiseptic a life one lives, the weaker one's immune system becomes. It's kind of a "use it or lose" it sort of thing. We've practically got an epidemic of asthma in the US and it is really starting to look like a major factor is being too clean.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/alspac/docu...r-own-good.pdf

Old 02-06-2010, 03:34 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,860,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grofica View Post
but radiant heating in concret floors???? electric is unbelievably expensive in vegas.
You seriously need to get out more. $0.12 per kwh is cheap. Tier 4 PG&E rates in California are four times higher.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
You seriously need to get out more. $0.12 per kwh is cheap. Tier 4 PG&E rates in California are four times higher.
everything in cali if 4 times higher...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas