Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 09:48 AM

293 posts, read 641,768 times

Advertisements

[If you golf, gamble, drink and have lots of money to shop then you will find things to do. The only culture in this hell hole is found in the dairy section of the grocery store!!! Raising children in Vegas is only done by parents who are stuck here or the have their needs before a healthy upbringing of their children!!!!]

I would put my parenting up against anyone who make such a dumb comment....Our kids come first and always will, that is why we are moving back to Las Vegas in May from Ohio...They hate it here and asked to go back so we are...We raised our kids telling them that if you do not like it somewhere, you can always move to another place to experience it. We left Henderson to be here for a dying relative becasue they needed help on the farm and we are getting ready to return. The parenting is what makes for a healthy upbringing, not where you live............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 10:01 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,476,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan05 View Post
[If you golf, gamble, drink and have lots of money to shop then you will find things to do. The only culture in this hell hole is found in the dairy section of the grocery store!!! Raising children in Vegas is only done by parents who are stuck here or the have their needs before a healthy upbringing of their children!!!!]

I would put my parenting up against anyone who make such a dumb comment....Our kids come first and always will, that is why we are moving back to Las Vegas in May from Ohio...They hate it here and asked to go back so we are...We raised our kids telling them that if you do not like it somewhere, you can always move to another place to experience it. We left Henderson to be here for a dying relative becasue they needed help on the farm and we are getting ready to return. The parenting is what makes for a healthy upbringing, not where you live............
I've been trying to tell these types of folks the same thing, they always think that the location is such a bad influence.

They always need an excuse to get out of Las Vegas, what better validation than to "blame" the "kids can't be raised in Las Vegas" story. I always wonder why they move here to Las Vegas with kids, if they feel it wasn't a good place for families to begin with?

Anyhoo, well said Nolan

Old 02-26-2010, 10:07 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,581,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
I've been trying to tell these types of folks the same thing, they always think that the location is such a bad influence.

They always need an excuse to get out of Las Vegas, what better validation than to "blame" the kids. I always wonder why they move here to Las Vegas with kids, if they feel it wasn't a good place for families to begin with?

Anyhoo, well said Nolan
If I do move to Las Vegas this October I will be bringing my 15 year old brother with me on the road trip, and have him fly back to Orlando the next day. He has never gotten to see any of the western states before, and I think even seeing LV would be a real adventure for him, even if he cant drink or gamble

People always say Las Vegas is not a good place to raise a family (they say the same thing over in the Orlando forum too) because of the crummy schools, and other things

MomMom would agree with me when I say that $50 bucks says there are plenty of families in Las Vegas who are doing just fine, good parents who have good jobs and are not overly influenced by all the "bad things" going on in Las Vegas. And Im sure there are plenty of parents with fully grown kids who spent their enitre childhoods in LV and turned out just fine.

You cannot blame a city on how your children turn out, it starts with you own involvement with your kids, the less you are involved the more trouble they are likely to get into, of course some kids are smart enough to know better whether their parents are involved or not.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:11 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,476,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
If I do move to Las Vegas this October I will be bringing my 15 year old brother with me on the road trip, and have him fly back to Orlando the next day. He has never gotten to see any of the western states before, and I think even seeing LV would be a real adventure for him, even if he cant drink or gamble

People always say Las Vegas is not a good place to raise a family (they say the same thing over in the Orlando forum too) because of the crummy schools, and other things

MomMom would agree with me when I say that $50 bucks says there are plenty of families in Las Vegas who are doing just fine, good parents who have good jobs and are not overly influenced by all the "bad things" going on in Las Vegas.
Yes I do agree with you and you are very correct.

Anyways, good luck to you Austin, wherever you wind up, whether it be Texas, Florida, the East Coast or North Carolina! Wherever your perfect place to retire in is (according to previous posts), I hope you find it. Peace!

Old 02-26-2010, 10:34 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myaustin55 View Post
If you golf, gamble, drink and have lots of money to shop then you will find things to do. The only culture in this hell hole is found in the dairy section of the grocery store!!! Raising children in Vegas is only done by parents who are stuck here or the have their needs before a healthy upbringing of their children!!!!

Let me guess - you moved here without any plan, or one based purely on fantasy, and when things didn't go your way due to your own poor planning, you chose to blame the city.

Am I close?

Old 02-26-2010, 03:45 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times
swag....that's not fair....

I think you must KNOW Austin to get that close

Old 02-26-2010, 07:39 PM

139 posts, read 458,644 times
Sunshine, plentiful cheap prostitutes, no state tax, gambling. What else do you need?

Old 02-27-2010, 12:47 PM

549 posts, read 1,380,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan05 View Post

I would put my parenting up against anyone who make such a dumb comment....Our kids come first and always will, that is why we are moving back to Las Vegas in May from Ohio...They hate it here and asked to go back so we are...We raised our kids telling them that if you do not like it somewhere, you can always move to another place to experience it. We left Henderson to be here for a dying relative because they needed help on the farm and we are getting ready to return. The parenting is what makes for a healthy upbringing, not where you live............

Here we go again... ugh. A lot of the members here know that I am very disenchanted with Vegas. I was talking to a friend the other day remembering some of my childhood and wishing my kids could have some of the same experiences as I did when growing up. That aside, why is Vegas not a good place to raise kids... I'll tell you... OLD PEOPLE! No disrespect intended to any senior aged members here.

Realistically, take away the gaming from this city what is left? NOTHING! Nothing exists here without tourism and gaming. There are no or limited natural resources (at least in Southern Nevada) from which to cultivate a decent living. If you are not in the gaming business then you are in a business that caters to the gaming business or its employees. Gaming has no profits, you have no job!

Besides that the education and health care systems here suck. Nevada leads the nation in every study, report issued for negative scores. Wanna know why you don't meet very many Las Vegas natives? Because they moved the hell out of here!

I get that others like it here. I tolerate it because of my circumstances. I have a friend who is from the Bay and would like to go back to the Bay, but he's stuck here too because of similar circumstances that I am --- ex's and children. Some how we comfort each other with the thought that we'll both be able to leave here someday.

I know, I know... don't let the door hit me in the ass on the way out. No worries, when the time comes, I won't.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:05 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
That aside, why is Vegas not a good place to raise kids... I'll tell you... OLD PEOPLE! No disrespect intended to any senior aged members here.
I kept reading your multi-paragraph rant about what's wrong with Vegas, but nothing you wrote had anything to do with the above sentence. Care to elaborate?

Old 02-27-2010, 01:40 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramadre44 View Post
That aside, why is Vegas not a good place to raise kids... I'll tell you... OLD PEOPLE!

I resemble that remark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas