Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 8,805 times

Advertisements

I have read a lot of other threads not commented on any of them but there as some that I agree with on this board. When we first moved out here we were stricken by the bright lights and fast paced life, we're from the Midwest. Vegas gave us an opportunity to use our education in our desired fields of study. My wife and I have nothing negative to say about Las Vegas as a city. Is it a transient city, Yes; why (in my opinion) people move out here for the opportunities that they wouldn’t have had where they grew up; and then they move back with the newly learned skills. But after spending years away from their family and close friends, they begin to value those two very important things, family and friends. We went home for the first time in three years this past weekend. And man was it an eye opener us. We moved to Vegas five years ago (almost six). We were 25 at the time and focused on what we wanted to do and become. We weren’t really acknowledging the fact that one day we would realize we’re missing something. Do we make good money, No; we make spectacular money here. We have a baby on the way and now we are started to think much differently. We’re thinking about “us” as a family, we want our kids to grow up seeing their uncles, aunts, cousins, grandmas and grandpas on a regular basis. We want them to grow up how we grew up, with everyone around them. This is our reason behind planning on moving out of Vegas. If we were 25 again, we would’ve done it the same way. We’ve met some great people here along with some negative people (but they’re everywhere you go). Vegas has taught us a great deal, that we will use thought-out our lives. We’re not planning on moving tomorrow, but we’re planning to move in the near future. Las Vegas is a one of a kind city. A city that will break you, if you allowed it to (but it only make you better for it) and it’s a city that turn you into a phenomenal person. We will always love Vegas, it will always be our second home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 08:14 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I think FAMILY is one of the biggest people go back 'home'. I think there are also a lot of illusions there...well, for some people anyways.

I guess it depends on how close you actually are with your family as well. Some people go back, thinking they'll have 'built-in babysitters', etc., but find out, it isn't really the case. Suddenly they are back where they started...not really all that happy...and realize that the 'family utopia' that was never there to begin with, and people just want to see your kids in very small doses, etc.

Depends on the family though...but very universal phenemenom.

Reading outside of that, sounds like you've had a great experience with Vegas though!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:27 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Many years ago when we faced such a decision we never really thought about it. Family is nice to visit...but it is not what motivates you. You build your own thing. When I graduated from college my wife and I moved 350 miles away. And in some ways that was the most distant we ever got. Nobody ever drove those 350 miles to see us. We were welcome to come "home" but we should not expect the relatives to travel to visit us. They would even go past on the interstate and not stop.

So we built our lives in upstate NY and Los Angeles and retired to Las Vegas. Never looked back. And if you examine the family it has dispersed to such a degree that there is no center any more. London, rural CN, Boston, Long Island, Cincinnati, Columbus, rural KY, San Diego, Portland, Milwaukee, Madison, NJ, Baltimore, Northern VA, And that is simply my Brothers and Sisters and their children.

I would also observe that those who remain in the old homestead often don't do well. There is a tradeoff between maintaining the tight ties and success.

Or maybe it is a different definition of success.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:10 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I have lived here 14 years now and my complaints are few, but, as for a place to retire in a few years, I'm keeping my eyes glued to the more southern cities that are investing heavily in light rail, like Dallas and Houston.
There's also Phoenix and Tucson, but it's too early to tell if they'll both expand their light rail fast enough and far enough.

I keep dreaming of living in a 55+ community within walking distance of a light rail stop and donating my car to charity. I'm dreading that day when a Doctor informs me I can't drive anymore, I must surrender my license, and I'm stranded with very limited options.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:00 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
First time in three years?? Wow. I am thinking you didn't miss them all that much. Or did they always visit you? I know that happens a lot in Vegas! LOL!

Since I am in MI right now, I cannot wait to get back to LV and start "missing" my family!!!

Old 06-08-2010, 05:19 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,835,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I have lived here 14 years now and my complaints are few, but, as for a place to retire in a few years, I'm keeping my eyes glued to the more southern cities that are investing heavily in light rail, like Dallas and Houston.
There's also Phoenix and Tucson, but it's too early to tell if they'll both expand their light rail fast enough and far enough.

I keep dreaming of living in a 55+ community within walking distance of a light rail stop and donating my car to charity. I'm dreading that day when a Doctor informs me I can't drive anymore, I must surrender my license, and I'm stranded with very limited options.
If Portland isn't too wet for you, we have one of, if not the best light rail systems in the country. DM me if you have any questions about TriMet.
TriMet: Awards and Recognition

Old 06-08-2010, 01:14 PM

123 posts, read 271,422 times
The Kingston Trio:

Let me tell you the story
Of a man named Charlie
On a tragic and fateful day
He put ten cents in his pocket,
Kissed his wife and family
Went to ride on the MTA
Charlie handed in his dime
At the Kendall Square Station
And he changed for Jamaica Plain
When he got there the conductor told him,
"One more nickel."
Charlie could not get off that train.
Chorus:
Did he ever return,
No he never returned
And his fate is still unlearn'd
He may ride forever
'neath the streets of Boston
He's the man who never returned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VMSGrY-IlU

Last edited by tomfirst; 06-08-2010 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: ad

Old 06-08-2010, 01:38 PM

236 posts, read 552,492 times
hopgood30, You as well as many others in the United States want somewhere to retire and teach your families. I stop saying raise. Because you raise your hands or you raise chickens. As parents we are the first teachers children meet. If you are looking for a state to settle down in permanently. Look at these states: North Carolina NC.GOV - Home, Texas Texas.gov | The Official Website of the State of Texas, Tennessee Home - TN.gov, Washington, http://access.wa.gov/, Maine Maine.gov, Arkansas http://portal.arkansas.gov/Pages/default.aspx Yes, I said Arkansas, and Oregon Oregon.gov Home Page. I know this is a future move but it is always good to take an early look.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:10 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Interesting. I think you have a better family than I do....or did since they are mostly gone now. My family was best taken in small doses and looked much better from a distance.

I lived in one part or another of the Midwest for half my life and found very little to make me want to stay there. Brutal winters and humid summers filled with bugs.

But we are all different and to each his own. If we were all the same it would be a boring world.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:18 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,470,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopgood30 View Post
I have read a lot of other threads not commented on any of them but there as some that I agree with on this board. When we first moved out here we were stricken by the bright lights and fast paced life, we're from the Midwest. Vegas gave us an opportunity to use our education in our desired fields of study. My wife and I have nothing negative to say about Las Vegas as a city. Is it a transient city, Yes; why (in my opinion) people move out here for the opportunities that they wouldn’t have had where they grew up; and then they move back with the newly learned skills. But after spending years away from their family and close friends, they begin to value those two very important things, family and friends. We went home for the first time in three years this past weekend. And man was it an eye opener us. We moved to Vegas five years ago (almost six). We were 25 at the time and focused on what we wanted to do and become. We weren’t really acknowledging the fact that one day we would realize we’re missing something. Do we make good money, No; we make spectacular money here. We have a baby on the way and now we are started to think much differently. We’re thinking about “us” as a family, we want our kids to grow up seeing their uncles, aunts, cousins, grandmas and grandpas on a regular basis. We want them to grow up how we grew up, with everyone around them. This is our reason behind planning on moving out of Vegas. If we were 25 again, we would’ve done it the same way. We’ve met some great people here along with some negative people (but they’re everywhere you go). Vegas has taught us a great deal, that we will use thought-out our lives. We’re not planning on moving tomorrow, but we’re planning to move in the near future. Las Vegas is a one of a kind city. A city that will break you, if you allowed it to (but it only make you better for it) and it’s a city that turn you into a phenomenal person. We will always love Vegas, it will always be our second home.
Unfortunately, too many people move here because they had a fabulous Las Vegas vacation and want the rest of their life to be like that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas