Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 03:22 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Why is L1 the only option?
A British expat site that I use in regards for my future British wife to move over here, states that most Brits that live in the U.S. are here either on a L1 visa, or on a spousal/immediate relative visa (K1/CR1). The H visas you need to have a skill that is high in demand and isn't being filled by Americans. Those you usually need a master's degree in order to qualify
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 05:17 AM

8 posts, read 24,080 times
Indeed, the visa issue to work in the US is a real mess. It should be point-based as for Canada or Australia. But this is another debate.

How would people compare life in the area of Sydney or Melbourne to San Francisco ? Is Australia more close to the US than England or the contrary with respect to the way people live, etc ? And would you choose Melbourne or Sydney ? In which place would IT engineers have the best opportunities ?

Old 01-23-2011, 06:25 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan1 View Post
Indeed, the visa issue to work in the US is a real mess. It should be point-based as for Canada or Australia. But this is another debate.

How would people compare life in the area of Sydney or Melbourne to San Francisco ? Is Australia more close to the US than England or the contrary with respect to the way people live, etc ? And would you choose Melbourne or Sydney ? In which place would IT engineers have the best opportunities ?
Someone could elaborate on what I say, but what my research told me was that the Australian lifestyle is similar to the American one, as far as a car-centric culture is concerned, everyone living in sprawled out suburbs from the main core city, etc. The car will be very important there, as it is in the U.S. unless you live very close to the CBD but that's extremely expensive. As far as IT jobs are concerned, I'm not too sure on that.

For Melbourne vs. Sydney, Melbourne is obviously somewhat smaller than Sydney and of course colder and wetter being further south.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:58 PM

16 posts, read 40,370 times
I've never lived in the USA, but am possibly going to move to CA soon. So I can't contrast the two, but I can give you a perspective on Australia. My mother is Australian so I got citizenship by descent, and I moved there as an adult and lived in Sydney for 10 years.

I've lived and worked all over the world, and Sydney remains my favourite city to live in. It is the best combination of physical beauty, natural wilderness, outdoor life, and big-city (just) work and culture that I've experienced. There are plenty of work opportunities for IT-related work, from development through to support, and as an example, my brother has made a great 20-year career there as a contractor (PM) and fully expects to continue that. There is enough cultural life to keep all but the most discerning happy, and the city has a good buzz of social life to it. It is a very walkable city, as in you can walk everywhere safely and enjoyably, and has many different concentrations of shopping, bars, nighlife areas etc. It is stunningly beautiful, both in terms of architecture (eg skyline as seen at night from harbour) and physical location (eg harbour as seen from skyline :-). You can choose a more urban lifestyle (small terrace houses within walking distance of the city) or suburban (larger houses with gardens a bit further out) or if you have serious money, both (large waterfront houses from $5m up). However you cut it, houses are expensive - I think the median is now around $500k (US/AUD much the same now) and that won't get you anything near the city or shore. Think $1m for tiny terrace close to the city, or medium size house on small plot within 20 mins. But the weather is wonderful, the beach beckons, and if you want bushwalking, camping, endless sandy beaches, rock climbing, any kind of outdoor sport you can think of - its easy to get to and free. Its a great place for kids (schools are good), medical care is good and reasonably priced, the people are generally friendly, happy and healthy. Something north of 50% of people living in Sydney were born outside of Australia, so it is a pretty cosmopolitan place, and generally accepting of immigrants - although there is definitely a rascist streak in Australia's make-up, Sydney/Melbourne are probably the most accepting / liberal.

I like Melbourne a lot to visit, but I'll leave someone else to blow its trumpet - for all that it has an image of being more culturally interesting (and is a pretty city too) the weather sucks, you may as well stay in Sunderland ;-)

Sydney car-centric? Maybe if you live in the far suburbs... and not a single one of my (South African, New Zealand, UK, Canadian) immigrant friends lived in the far-out suburbs. My inner city friends mostly dispensed with cars, and walked, cycled and scootered everywhere the trains don't go - and the train & bus network are really not bad. You'll probably want a car unless you are in the inner city, but it is very easy to commute to work by train from many many areas, and save the car for weekend get-aways or going to the beach.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:00 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,793 times
^ I agree with everything technogeekery said... although not all real estate in Sydney has reached the lofty price heights he quoted. A friend of mine has a one-bedroom apartment (3rd floor, with 2 elevators, undercover car parking and pool in the grounds) in Surry Hills which is currently worth something around $470,000. Several other friends own 1 or 2 bed apartments in similar areas (Camperdown, Moore Park, Rosebery) worth pretty much the same give or take $20,000.

My Surry Hills friend owns a car, but only drives it at weekends. He's an ex-New Yorker (so is used to a good system of public transport) and has no complaints about the PT he uses to get to work.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:09 AM

16 posts, read 40,370 times
Thanks Kobber.

For sure you can get apartments for less, I was talking about house prices there. And looks like I understated it from the latest info:

Sydney: the world's second most unaffordable housing market

"The Demographia International Housing Affordability Survey covering markets in six English-speaking nations and Hong Kong found that the ratio of house prices to median annual household income was 9.6 in Sydney. It put the median house price at $634,300 and median income $66,200"

Only HK rated less affordable (ratio of annual income to median house price) worldwide...

Griefski! I didn't realise it was that bad...

Old 03-14-2011, 07:17 AM

487 posts, read 891,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
As far as health care, I would assume the IT company provides a health insurance plan. It's not like this guy plans to come here illegally and expect free health care like so many others do. If you pay into health insurance here in the USA, the healthcare system is great.
People keep saying this, but I think it's false. I have great insurance, but the American healthcare I get is awful compared to what I had in the UK.

Though the individual doctors are good, and many of the facilities are very nice, it's all very fragmented and disorganised.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:09 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,544 times
I agree, even with insurance you can still be out of pocket by thousands if something happens. In my village you have to pay $1500 just for calling an ambulance.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:33 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,429,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
A British expat site that I use in regards for my future British wife to move over here, states that most Brits that live in the U.S. are here either on a L1 visa, or on a spousal/immediate relative visa (K1/CR1). The H visas you need to have a skill that is high in demand and isn't being filled by Americans. Those you usually need a master's degree in order to qualify
Yes , but you said L1 was the only option.
The H visas you need to have a skill that is high in demand and isn't being filled by Americans.

That's misleading. You have to compete with US applicants in the application process (just like with any job), but if the company wants you then they have to show that you meet all the criteria for the job , as documented in the job description.
For a Green card , apart from some occupations, it has to go through labor certification where they will scrutinise the job description and ensure that the wage is not below the national average, which may discourage US citizens from applying.
The H1-b which is a 3 year (dual intent)non-immigrant visa is available for people who have a Bachelors degree,not just Masters.
If someone with a Bachelors can secure a job then at the moment their chances of getting an H1-b is good because with the recession there are fewer companies employing foreign workers.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:39 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
As a fellow European I find the health care system here in the States exorbitantly expensive, terrible value for money and, overall, a fiasco.
If you call a mugging a fiasco...It's an extortionate shake-down by organized crime. It really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration