Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 12:57 PM

24,652 posts, read 10,989,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Just to be VERY clear here: if they do not remain married past June 20th, 2013, and complete/submit/get approval for the application for removal of conditional status, then he will lose his conditional green card and be forced to leave the United States.
Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 09:21 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,072,384 times
^^^^ Haha, agreed.

What do you mean by "enforce a ban?"

They probably won't DO anything. That's why there's ?million shadow people living in the USA. Without AoS (Adjustment of Status) to unconditional green card, his 2-year conditional card will expire. At this point he will be in unlawful status. If he does not leave the country within 6 months, he will be hit with a 3-year ban on re-entry (no matter what; marriage, family petitions, refugee status, who wants to be a millionaire, etc). After 12 months in unlawful status, he will get a 10-year ban on re-entry into the US should he ever leave.

All this stuff happens at the border (or--more likely--airport). If he never leaves, and never gets in trouble with the law, or stays in "sanctuary cities" where the cops don't ask questions about immigration status, then probably he never has trouble--until an employer has to e-verify his ability to work in the US, or La Migra raids the meatpacking plant where he works. However, when he goes to visit his sick grandmother, in the home country, or takes a cruise to the Bahamas, or something, he'll be detained in customs when his flight lands in the USA, and then put on the next plane back to where he came from, never to return (or at least not for a decade or so when the ban expires).

Old 01-26-2013, 01:21 PM

24,652 posts, read 10,989,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
^^^^ Haha, agreed.

What do you mean by "enforce a ban?"

They probably won't DO anything. That's why there's ?million shadow people living in the USA. Without AoS (Adjustment of Status) to unconditional green card, his 2-year conditional card will expire. At this point he will be in unlawful status. If he does not leave the country within 6 months, he will be hit with a 3-year ban on re-entry (no matter what; marriage, family petitions, refugee status, who wants to be a millionaire, etc). After 12 months in unlawful status, he will get a 10-year ban on re-entry into the US should he ever leave.

All this stuff happens at the border (or--more likely--airport). If he never leaves, and never gets in trouble with the law, or stays in "sanctuary cities" where the cops don't ask questions about immigration status, then probably he never has trouble--until an employer has to e-verify his ability to work in the US, or La Migra raids the meatpacking plant where he works. However, when he goes to visit his sick grandmother, in the home country, or takes a cruise to the Bahamas, or something, he'll be detained in customs when his flight lands in the USA, and then put on the next plane back to where he came from, never to return (or at least not for a decade or so when the ban expires).
Bad hair day?
As long as he entered the marriage in good faith he can file AoS. It will take some documentation but is nothing unusual.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:52 PM

832 posts, read 1,419,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
It's called standing meaning you are seeking advice/legal action about someone or something that really doesn't relate to you. Why isn't your friend asking someone with expertise to give him answers?
Forgive me for being so blunt because I know it will upset some posters here... But the reason is because the original poster is actually the Norwegian who married for the green card and he was testing out his story on CD to see if anyone bit.

And they did.

It's likely his conditions will be removed rather easily.

But there is a chance he will have to be interviewed. Any experienced ISO worth their weight in salt will see through this story in less than 30 seconds and issue him a denial, resulting in a notice to appear before a judge.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:14 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,072,384 times
Threestep, I doubt that. If you can cite some examples of divorced people (who were not domestic abuse victims) who managed an AoS during the trial period, I will change my tune. However, the whole purpose of the 2-year conditional GC is to try to cut down on fraudulent marriages, and a divorce is about the reddest of flags you can have.

mrskay, who cares? Advice was asked for and given. Why would it upset people if the person doesn't want to admit to being the interested party?

Old 01-27-2013, 05:55 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,762,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
Forgive me for being so blunt because I know it will upset some posters here... But the reason is because the original poster is actually the Norwegian who married for the green card and he was testing out his story on CD to see if anyone bit.
Not that it matters a whit but his command of the English language, use of colloquialisms and sentence formation in no way denotes him as a Norwegian national unless he's one who has lived in the US for many decades. I think your sleuthing ability is rather off on this one.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Not that it matters a whit but his command of the English language, use of colloquialisms and sentence formation in no way denotes him as a Norwegian national unless he's one who has lived in the US for many decades. I think your sleuthing ability is rather off on this one.
I can't break down his writing style and story in a manner to satisfy your curiosity about my "sleuthing ability" without going above and beyond what should be posted on the internet.

You're entitled to be skeptical of my opinion.

But until I see something else from the OP that would give me reason to shift my views, I maintain it.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:06 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,762,441 times
Quote:
I can't break down his writing style and story in a manner to satisfy your curiosity about my "sleuthing ability" without going above and beyond what should be posted on the internet.

You're entitled to be skeptical of my opinion.

But until I see something else from the OP that would give me reason to shift my views, I maintain it.
But again, it matters not a whit. It was a viable question of interest no matter the identity of the OP.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
But again, it matters not a whit. It was a viable question of interest no matter the identity of the OP.
What question did you ask me again?

Old 01-27-2013, 08:40 AM

6 posts, read 11,541 times
Quote:
But the reason is because the original poster is actually the Norwegian who married for the green card and he was testing out his story on CD to see if anyone bit.
Oh man. See what I mean about CD people being suspicious? I assure you, ma'am, this isn't the case. I'd rather not post a scan copy of my passport on an online forum..

Quote:
Now I'm curious.

As far as the original post goes, I spoke to the guy on the phone yesterday and nothing seemed out of the ordinary -- at least he didn't mention anything -- so maybe the girl hasn't spoken to him yet. It was a quick chat, though, we've both been super busy at work this past month. Will keep updating. And keep the suspicion going. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration