Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:00 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,747,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
What question did you ask me again?
The question the OP asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 10:04 AM

24,634 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Threestep, I doubt that. If you can cite some examples of divorced people (who were not domestic abuse victims) who managed an AoS during the trial period, I will change my tune. However, the whole purpose of the 2-year conditional GC is to try to cut down on fraudulent marriages, and a divorce is about the reddest of flags you can have.

mrskay, who cares? Advice was asked for and given. Why would it upset people if the person doesn't want to admit to being the interested party?
You do not really expect to post names of immigrants in CF. You may have an issue with divorce. It is up to other authorities to decide how to interpret immigration law in each individual case.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:26 AM

832 posts, read 1,418,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The question the OP asked.
I see.

There is a difference between being interested in an immigration issue because it may impact someone you know versus being concerned as the directly impacted person.

The OP has phrased his question in such a manner and posted details in such a manner that it makes me fairly certain he has primary interest in the outcome of the decision. And in a fact pattern such as he's given, there is only one person directly affected by his immigration status. And that would be the immigrant.

Why does all this matter to me?

It's the difference between helping someone understand an issue versus helping someone get a feel for how to get around the law.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 AM

^^^ Really. Then don't waste your time sharing your knowledge of immigration laws in this case.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerChicago View Post
Now I'm curious.
Then I'll humor you.

1. Why would you even bring up his accent? He's a Norwegian. He should have an accent as someone who allegedly only recently entered the U.S for a winter break. A "Friend" would not even bring this up first thing. No reasonable person would bring this up unless they were attempting to defend the idea that they should be in "America" and act "American".

2. According to your timeline, he entered the U.S. in Winter of 2010 in a "gap year". Norwegians have a "gap year" at the age of 19, when they graduate their secondary schooling. And although it's not law that he attend secondary "primary" school, in practice, all Norwegian kids do because otherwise they'd be done with school at 16 and the country would not have any college graduates. Which reasonably made him 19 or 20.

3. If he were in college, he'd have to be back in Norway by early January. The first week in fact. You said they met after New Year. So... if he's on a "gap year" then he wasn't in college and had no need to immediately return home.

If I've already established that he's 19 or 20 in his "gap year", your comment "He didn't end up finishing his degree but that's irrelevant, I guess" is extremely relevant because he was "able to come to Chicago again for a month and a half in the summer of 2011". Which means he never attended college period. How do I know? Because his "gap year" would mean he would have taken the whole year off. Fall and Spring, and if he's not in Norway in time for the Spring semester (which starts in very early January, which he could not attend because he was still in the U.S. at that time), then he didn't attend college that year. And since the gap year is the time between post secondary primary school and your first year of college, he did not attend college at all.

And if he couldn't afford college in the U.S. and I've shown that it was impossible for him to attend college in Norway, then he did not attend college. Which means he can't stay in the U.S. as a "student".

4. They had gotten hastily hitched and no one knew. You choose this route when you know you're misbehaving and making a mistake. The green card hunter fears her family will discover what's going on and try to stop it. Vegas wouldn't exist if it wasn't for mistakes of this nature.

They married in June. He was in the U.S. in January and in less than 5 months he's back and married and no one knows. Not even you, although you claim the female was telling you about how she was pining away for this guy. Yet she doesn't tell you she got married? That makes no sense.

5. "And Chicago was becoming a second home to the guy." In two visits? One visit in the winter and one in the summer? I think not. I've moved around plenty in my life time and have never made a city a "second home" in under 6 months and neither has any other reasonable person who has no family or attachment to a city with a culture unlike anything they're accustomed to.

It's more likely he has been to the U.S. quite a bit as an exchange visitor. Hence his ability to speak English with a minimal accent and proper use of American colloquialisms. Usually the male green card hunters are lifeguards and camp counselors for two summers before they find their "soul mate".

6. You refer to this person as though he's your best friend and not the husband of another friend. You claim that he's now your friend. Yet it's his wife who called you to keep you abreast of her preoccupation with this man and complain about the marriage falling apart. This would indicate that you are indeed her friend under normal circumstances because females generally only give this type of information to their closest friends.

Not only that, but you've backflipped on your female friend. You've gone from being her friend to accusing her of being morbid and really changing.

7. "So let's say he becomes a citizen and divorces her afterwards? Would this cause problems? What if he renounces his Norwegian citizenship, only has the American, and then gets a divorce? Will immigration officials look into the case if there's too small a time gap between becoming a US citizen and divorcing? Would they strip him of the citizenship even if that's the only one he has? What would happen?"

This is a classic rambling question posted by someone who is in a relationship for one purpose and desperate to know if they have a shot at succeeding. People who marry for love aren't concerned about "staying" or obtaining citizenship. And they certainly are not thinking of ways to renounce their citizenship in their home country.

8. It is now January 2013. If he was 19 or 20 at his 2010 winter break, then he's now 22 or 23 and the female is about 25. Age gaps aren't that important for the most part, but when you're 19 or 20 and the female is 21 or 22, it actually is a larger gap than a 50 year old man and a 35 year old female in terms of personal development and maturity.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not going to keep analyzing your post line by line and discrepancy by discrepancy. I don't buy your story. I've given sufficient examples of why I don't buy it and why I don't believe any ISO worth their weight in salt would buy it either. The best possible outcome for you/your friend is to hope the ISO looks the other way because they have bigger fish to fry.

The bottom line is this:

Your "friend" is now a bum. He's not a college drop out, he's an uneducated service worker. And he has no means to immigrate to the U.S. except through marriage. He can't do anything in Norway because they make people go to college and contribute to society in a meaningful way. Where as in America you can earn a living just by applying for a job without any education. Hence being a 25 year old without any education "managing" a clothing store.

I'd be depressed and "morbid" if I was your female friend too. She got duped and probably feels about as sexy as a wrench does to a mechanic.

The female hasn't "changed". This is just what all green card hunters claim and hope they don't get called in for an interview. The only thing more classic than "she's changed" is if he accuses her of cheating/dancing/making out with another man, a year and a half into the marriage. At that point, he gets all worked up and she's guilted into signing the papers to remove the conditions on his residency thinking he'll stay. He'll hang out for another year, obtain citizenship based on that same marriage and then divorce her 3 months after obtaining that certificate. He'll tell her he forgives her and she was wonderful but he just can't get over her dancing with another man. He's "lost passion".

He'll then petition for his high school sweetheart who just happened to vacation in Chicago during his last year of marriage and she'll give birth to his child within 6 months of the divorce being finalized and his obtaining the certificate. His current wife will never know.

I'm not going to keep picking apart the original post. You're either the immigrant or your the immigrant's high school girlfriend debating on how to best proceed and trying to determine if you need to marry a citizen yourself as a backup plan.

This isn't just my "suspicions".

This is based on experience.

And each time you post, it confirms my "suspicions".

All that being said...

If the OP is actually "just a friend of a friend who became a friend" and a disinterested party (the odds being about 5 in 100), I would have to say that you've been duped every bit as much as your female friend. Your Norwegian pal is priming you to submit affidavits in support of his petition to remove the conditions on his marriage. You've probably already met his Norwegian high school sweetheart but chalked it up to her being just his "bff" or "roommate" or "friend of a roommate".

The only reasonable thing for a person in his age and situation to do would be to return home to his/your parents. But he/you won't. Because he/you entered the U.S. with the intent to immigrate from the get go. Green card hunters have nothing to gain by leaving and everything to gain by staying.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
^^^ Really. Then don't waste your time sharing your knowledge of immigration laws in this case.
So you're advocating I should not be concerned about immigration issues because of the negative impact illegal activities have on us all and instead I should just assist people in skirting the laws?

The forum is legal immigration.

Perhaps it is you who should reconsider why you post here.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
So you're advocating I should not be concerned about immigration issues because of the negative impact illegal activities have on us all and instead I should just assist people in skirting the laws?

The forum is legal immigration.

Perhaps it is you who should reconsider why you post here.
I'm not interested in advocating anything to you. I post here because I believe I can help provide useful information and links to legitimate sources which may be of assistance to those contemplating immigration to the US. If you feel that information you provide is likely to help someone skirt immigration laws then maybe you're offering some sort of inside information not available through legitimate channels and should rethink this.

And, by the way, I did say "in this case" since for some reason you seem to think there's something fishy about the OP.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:13 PM

6 posts, read 11,535 times
Holy jumping $hitballs. That's.. impressive. I can see your mind's already pretty much made up but let me clarify a few things anyway.

Quote:
Why would you even bring up his accent? He's a Norwegian. He should have an accent as someone who allegedly only recently entered the U.S for a winter break. A "Friend" would not even bring this up first thing. No reasonable person would bring this up unless they were attempting to defend the idea that they should be in "America" and act "American".
I guess I was just illustrating how Americanized he's become. Whatever.

Quote:
According to your timeline, he entered the U.S. in Winter of 2010 in a "gap year". Norwegians have a "gap year" at the age of 19, when they graduate their secondary schooling. And although it's not law that he attend secondary "primary" school, in practice, all Norwegian kids do because otherwise they'd be done with school at 16 and the country would not have any college graduates. Which reasonably made him 19 or 20.
That ain't the case. He graduated high school when he was 19, which was in the summer of 2008. He went to college for two years after that and then dropped out because he chose the wrong major. Silly to drop out when you only have a year to go -- maybe -- but that's what he did. He didn't have to show up anywhere in January as you later mention (I don't even know if that's true or not).

Quote:
Yet she doesn't tell you she got married? That makes no sense.
Not immediately, no. She told everyone a month or two later. It's not like I found out they were married when I made the post two days ago.

Quote:
In two visits? One visit in the winter and one in the summer?
Well, 4 total but yes. The vibe and climate and our circle of friends and everything.

Quote:
I think not. I've moved around plenty in my life time and have never made a city a "second home" in under 6 months and neither has any other reasonable person who has no family or attachment to a city with a culture unlike anything they're accustomed to.
That's you. And that's a damn broad generalization. I'm an Army kid and we moved around a freaking lot when I was growing up. You can get attached to a certain place in a short time if it feels right. I was with my family, of course, so it's not the same. But still.

Quote:
Not only that, but you've backflipped on your female friend. You've gone from being her friend to accusing her of being morbid and really changing.
That was an observation, not an accusation. I haven't "backflipped" on anyone.

Quote:
but when you're 19 or 20 and the female is 21 or 22, it actually is a larger gap than a 50 year old man and a 35 year old female in terms of personal development and maturity.
I'm assuming this is a joke so I'll skip it.

Quote:
Your "friend" is now a bum. He's not a college drop out, he's an uneducated service worker. And he has no means to immigrate to the U.S. except through marriage. He can't do anything in Norway because they make people go to college and contribute to society in a meaningful way. Where as in America you can earn a living just by applying for a job without any education. Hence being a 25 year old without any education "managing" a clothing store.
23, remember? He doesn't manage it, I said he was a supervisor. Like a senior customer service rep. If that's a bum's job, sure, okay.

That high school sweetheart stuff sounds like something that happened to you personally. You obviously have some experience with this but you're just reaching with a bunch of your points. I don't know what else to tell you.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:39 PM

24,634 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Mrskay

This is a real good one. A complete kitchen table psychologial profile of a stranger based upon some forum entries. I start comprehending why people are scared of USCIS employees. The chery of this profiling is "Usually the male green card hunters are lifeguards and camp counselors for two summers before they find their "soul mate". I hope you can swim:>)

Just for your case book - in 30 years noone has handed me my country of origin by my accent, I took to DC during my first week there, I have never had a female friend past the level of lunch, I shared the news with my family when it was time to buy clothes and too late for interference.

If he were the "Norwegian" - here you are neither judge nor jury.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:02 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,911,109 times
mrskay662000, you are way out of line and have no idea what you're talking about. The story sounds 100% plausible, and it is heartless not to feel sympathy for someone in that situation being potentially stranded with their immigration status.

I suggest meeting some expats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration