Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 02:07 PM

104 posts, read 241,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I don't think that you have to be a family member to sponser. I could be wrong but I believe anyone can. So there is no fraud. That said, I doubt you will find someone other than a family or friend to do it. It makes the sponsor liable for the immigrant until they die, become a citizen, leave the country or have 10 years of continous work history. The immigrant can simply elect to not work, then sue the sponsor for about 25k a year (they will win that lawsuit easily) then sit back and collect it forever. Not many people wanna take that kind of responsibility on for someone they don't know.

OP your only option is to get someone to sign as a sponsor. I believe that the only waiver available is if the immigrant has enough money to sponsor themselves.
I will have to look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I missed that -- he's too young to get married anyhow --- what's the rush here?
I think it is early as well but we have a great relationship and would like to continue it. I'm not sure if that can happen if we aren't together soon, which is why I would like to get married. Due to slacking off when I first started university, I won't graduate on time. I could move to be with her right now but she lives in an area where it would be difficult for me to be gainfully employed with no degree and doing my part in pulling in enough money to support a good life. The K-1 visa takes some time to go through but, it is still probably the quickest option. Women like to see progress, and she needs me to be around. There isn't much else we can do, otherwise it would probably mean abandoning our relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
So your parents are willing to provide financial support? Then why would they not be willing to sponsor your fiancee? Thats all the INS wants. Some one who will provide financial support. Where is the problem?
Yeah they are but I question whether it is enough. It sounds like those in charge of the process have some discretion to work with, but from my understanding, if I am at poverty level in my own finances, then we will need a sponsor. The sponsor must be at 125% as indicated by USCIS. My parents and her parents might be able to support us in some capacity if it is needed (I do not plan on needing it), but I am not sure if my parents are at that level.

If, say, my mother for example, is the head of the household in which I live, and her income does not meet the guidelines for being 125% above for being a household of two, would she still be eligible to be a sponsor?

I haven't had enough time to read the rest of the information on USCIS' website yet but I thought I would take some time to weigh in since I saw the thread had gotten some new replies. Thanks again to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No 22 year old who isn't working and self-reliant should really be considering marriage, much less bringing in immigrants to support. Marriages of the very young have a high failure rate they say, then who supports the immigrant?

Just finish your education, by age 22, you should be about to graduate from college and find a good paying job and then start thinking about marriage.
I get your point but I don't think I can live by it at this time. I know it isn't the best case scenario. I'm willing to take the chance that we might get things wrong, but to me it is worth trying.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:51 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSwartz View Post
I think it is early as well but we have a great relationship and would like to continue it. I'm not sure if that can happen if we aren't together soon, which is why I would like to get married. ... Women like to see progress, and she needs me to be around. There isn't much else we can do, otherwise it would probably mean abandoning our relationship.
Quote:
I get your point but I don't think I can live by it at this time. I know it isn't the best case scenario. I'm willing to take the chance that we might get things wrong, but to me it is worth trying.
No way should you be thinking of getting married, regardless of the circumstances. Sorry.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:55 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,282,628 times
You can't even support yourself, but you want to bring in an immigrant wife and commit fraud on immigration papers by pretending some random person has agreed to support your wife (which they clearly aren't intending to do)? I take it you're also unemployed? And you claim you're forced to do all of this?

Sorry, but you're too immature for marriage (and that has nothing to do with being 22 years old). If you were really desperate to marry this woman, knowing you would need income, you would have already had a full time job while going to school. Lots of college students work full time, you know...

I can't imagine what kind of woman would marry into that situation, either. You both need to grow up a little before you take the plunge.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:13 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,099,283 times
It would be best for all involved if you gave up the fantasy and succeeded in reality

Old 10-12-2013, 10:25 PM

Points taken. I will consider my options but I can't say that I won't proceed regardless of whether it is practical or not. Thanks for your opinions, guys.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Points taken. I will consider my options but I can't say that I won't proceed regardless of whether it is practical or not. Thanks for your opinions, guys.
The "practicality" is actually irrelevant in context but has been added by some posters in an effort to make you understand that marriage is a very serious commitment. The main thrust of course is that what you're thinking of doing is totally illegal on the Federal level and the consequences could basically ruin your life.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:41 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,040,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The main thrust of course is that what you're thinking of doing is totally illegal on the Federal level and the consequences could basically ruin your life.
Where are you getting that its illegal?

Old 10-13-2013, 09:59 AM

830 posts, read 1,667,214 times
If you are not sure about your mother's income being enough, just go ahead and put her as a co-sponsor anyway. If USCIS agents decide that she (or you and she) does not make or have enough money, then go look for a different co-sponsor. They could decide she makes enough--do you really know about all of her income and assets? Also get a job, even a low-paying one, because it could help your chances, IMO.

The truth is I was you. I brought my husband here at 22. At the time I had just moved to a new city, had no savings, no property, and made less than minimum wage (had an internship-like situation). I put myself down as his sponsor on the AofS and of course got turned down, as I found out through a letter from USCIS. They gave me a certain amount of time to find a different sponsor, and my mother took that role. My parents were not completely on board with me doing all this, but they helped me immensely still. Staying in my husband's country would have been a worse option income-wise, and I would have been useless not even knowing the local languages.

My better suggestion to you is to wait. I didn't listen to the people telling me that at your age, and I expect you to do the same, but I'm still going to tell you. I know I could have used another three years or so to mature before doing what I did. In a way my husband and I have "grown up" together (and are still growing up, clearly), which may sound sweet, but some of those conflicts and emotional pains would have been better off happening to a single person who didn't have to worry about the feelings and needs of a spouse, plus the scrutiny of a government agency all the while (that will only intensify for you after your girlfriend comes).

Last edited by Tintlelli; 10-13-2013 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: extra word

Old 10-13-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Where are you getting that its illegal?
Suggest you go to the USCIS website and read the conditions attached to K-1 visas and sponsorships thereof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration