Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 12:08 PM

104 posts, read 241,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Good grief, your hand isn't being forced to do anything!

After reading your latest responses, I'm torn between wondering if you're simply trolling or really are possessed of such flawed logic as you're demonstrating. If the latter then I totally support that you have your facts confused - but not just "some".

You'll find the USCIS website linked in the first "sticky" on this forum and I seriously suggest that you go to it and read not just "most of the information relating to the K-1 visa" but every single word of it including all the related instructions. Good luck.
OK. I will read it in full and come back and ask questions if I have any. Thank you.

BTW I am definitely not a troll. I have no clue why anyone would want to troll an immigration forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 12:55 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
You said you are getting "older" which I assume means you are an old college student and still haven't worked a job.

Instead of expecting someone else to pay for your fiancee, why not get a job and do things the right way? You should sponsor your spouse yourself.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:06 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,752,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You said you are getting "older" which I assume means you are an old college student and still haven't worked a job.

Instead of expecting someone else to pay for your fiancee, why not get a job and do things the right way? You should sponsor your spouse yourself.
He already answered the question - he's only 22.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:13 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,042,411 times
I don't think that you have to be a family member to sponser. I could be wrong but I believe anyone can. So there is no fraud. That said, I doubt you will find someone other than a family or friend to do it. It makes the sponsor liable for the immigrant until they die, become a citizen, leave the country or have 10 years of continous work history. The immigrant can simply elect to not work, then sue the sponsor for about 25k a year (they will win that lawsuit easily) then sit back and collect it forever. Not many people wanna take that kind of responsibility on for someone they don't know.

OP your only option is to get someone to sign as a sponsor. I believe that the only waiver available is if the immigrant has enough money to sponsor themselves.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
He already answered the question - he's only 22.
I missed that -- he's too young to get married anyhow --- what's the rush here?

Old 10-12-2013, 01:26 PM

24,634 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I don't think that you have to be a family member to sponser. I could be wrong but I believe anyone can. So there is no fraud. That said, I doubt you will find someone other than a family or friend to do it. It makes the sponsor liable for the immigrant until they die, become a citizen, leave the country or have 10 years of continous work history. The immigrant can simply elect to not work, then sue the sponsor for about 25k a year (they will win that lawsuit easily) then sit back and collect it forever. Not many people wanna take that kind of responsibility on for someone they don't know.

OP your only option is to get someone to sign as a sponsor. I believe that the only waiver available is if the immigrant has enough money to sponsor themselves.
Solicitating cash for AoS? Give me a break:>)

The immigrant cannot sue the sponsor. USCIS - I-134, Affidavit of Support

Self sponsor is sponsor X 4.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:30 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,041,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSwartz View Post
Financial support will be available to us in many forms, from my working to both of our parents.
So your parents are willing to provide financial support? Then why would they not be willing to sponsor your fiancee? Thats all the INS wants. Some one who will provide financial support. Where is the problem?

Old 10-12-2013, 01:43 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,041,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post

The immigrant cannot sue the sponsor.
Thats true, but any government agency that has to provided assistance to the immigrant, can and will sue the sponsor to recover the cost.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:02 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,042,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post

The immigrant cannot sue the sponsor. USCIS - I-134, Affidavit of Support

I still don't think there is anything illegal with the suggestion. The pettitioner has to sponsor but anyone else can be a co-sponsor. No relation required.

The immigrant CAN sue the sponsor. This has established case precendence, you simply don't know what your talking about. In most cases, it will be the gov agency that provides assistance that will wind up doing the sueing. However the immigrant can sue ANY sponsor to be compensated directly. If you would read your own link you would find that info included.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:04 PM

No 22 year old who isn't working and self-reliant should really be considering marriage, much less bringing in immigrants to support. Marriages of the very young have a high failure rate they say, then who supports the immigrant?

Just finish your education, by age 22, you should be about to graduate from college and find a good paying job and then start thinking about marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration