Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 06:02 AM

81 posts, read 166,113 times

Advertisements

Yah I've heard about the common-law partner but I didn't even suggest that one because I already knew they didn't meet those requirements as they just met each other face to face.

The only thing they have going for them is she does have a full time job, although I doubt it pays any more than minimum wage, and she has her own apartment.

I knew from looking into her coming here HE had to make X amount of money or get someone to Co-sponsor, even if they got married, and I wasn't sure if the same requirements would apply if he went to HER.

I also didn't know if there was a preferred/required amount of times they needed to have spent with each other face to face so that their marriage (if they opted for that route) would be looked upon favorably. Just because they get married does not automatically make them able to move to be with the other. I knew from looking for her to come here they wanted at least a 2 year face to face relationship of back and forth visits. Not what they have now of talking online for over a year and now finally getting to visit.

So, in information gathering it looks like their best option would be to spend the next year visiting each other as often as possible, probably at least 4 visits (if not more) of a decent length of time. Than getting married (or get married at some point before...that part doesn't really seem to matter) Work and save up as much as they can.

And it still looks as if his going up there may actually be easier than her coming down here. Cause there's no way he'll make the $20-$24K a year financial requirement and there's no way in hell I'm co-sponsoring anyone for 10 years.

It's truly one of those if they want the situation to work THEY are going to have to make it work. I'll look up information, because I know he'll only find the surface (you can come here as a married couple) and he won't look deeper into it until he's actually trying to move. It's that whole Rose-Colored glasses thing.

I really appreciate the information. You can look online, but you have to really dig deep (or ask questions of someone who's done it) to find out the nitty gritty of the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 10:11 AM

I've done some thinking on this and need conformation on my thought processes.

So, either of them moving to the other right now is pretty much out of the question I was thinking about what they can do to make things smoother later on.

Since both Countries want a significant relationship to have taken place before allowing the spouse to come into the country, they need to meet face to face more than one time. If my memory is correct, before 9/11 it was much easier than it is now. Now they have a max of 6 months in one country than have to go back to their own country for another 6 months. Is this correct?

I know they can't spend 6 months away from school and work for that amount of time (especially if they want to meet the financial requirements) but is there a maximum amount of time they can visit during a year? Is 6 months the max and they can't go beyond that no matter how much they break it up?

If they get married I know it's not an automatic entry into either country, but does it matter when they get married? I doubt it helps for either situation since they can't live with each other, but if they want that commitment would it matter if they got married now, or after they've seen each other face to face several times?

Wondering what would help their best chances of being able to live together, barring of course having a ton of money to live off of, and all that other stuff most folks do.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
I don't mean to come across as being rude or dismissive but have you taken the time to go through the applicable portions of the USCIS website,

Homepage | USCIS

and the information on the Canada immigration site I linked earlier?

These sites are both very easily navigable and I think your questions will easily be answered there while, if you have additional questions, there are posters on this forum who can offer you additional information based on their own personal experiences with the basic system. Cheers - and Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2014, 11:12 AM

I already know what it's going to take for her to come here, I've looked at all that information earlier this year when it was first thought that she would come here. Now he's thinking of going to Canada and when I looked at that link when you first posted it, it appears that it's just for someone to come to the US. Unless I totally missed the section about going to Canada.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:47 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk2TN View Post
I already know what it's going to take for her to come here, I've looked at all that information earlier this year when it was first thought that she would come here. Now he's thinking of going to Canada and when I looked at that link when you first posted it, it appears that it's just for someone to come to the US. Unless I totally missed the section about going to Canada.
I posted the link to Canada immigration in Post #2. I confess to becoming totally befuddled by your questions.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:38 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,086,660 times
And OP, you keep saying "if they get married" ... but they have met in person ONCE. And she is 24 while he is 19 so presumably barely out of high school. Those things don't suggest the kind of maturity and stability needed for marriage, IMHO.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:34 PM

Karen, you know that and *I* know that, but do they know that? Nope, nor do they care. Since he's an adult (legally anyway) we can't stop him if that's what he wants to do. Do I want them to wait? Heck yeah, but I can't keep them from doing it. Actually if I was being truthful I wish they weren't involved at all, at least not romantically.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:43 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,086,660 times
Quote:
Karen, you know that and *I* know that, but do they know that? Nope, nor do they care. Since he's an adult (legally anyway) we can't stop him if that's what he wants to do. Do I want them to wait? Heck yeah, but I can't keep them from doing it. Actually if I was being truthful I wish they weren't involved at all, at least not romantically.
Ah, gotcha. Sorry if I sounded harsh -- it just doesn't seem like a good situation for so many reasons! I hope it works out!

Old 01-02-2014, 08:08 AM

63,000 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
There are long list of things that are going to be against this plan.

For a start, their "relationship " isn't anywhere near long enough for the Canadian Immigration standards.

Her employment, in Canada, if she is going to sponsor him, for a spousal Visa, has to be .....Full time, with a minimum annual income of 24k or more, and she has to have her own place to live, and she must be willing to sign a legal contract , with the Canadian Government, assuming total financial responsibility for him for five years.

For him.... His lack of a University 4 year degree, or him being a certified skilled trades person, such as a auto mechanic, welder, carpenter, or the like, is going to make him unlikely to be approved. Canada is looking for educated mature adults, who have the kind of training that our country needs. Because we get hundreds of thousands of applications every year, from around the world, we can afford to be picky.

For a couple that has not had a "close, enduring and intimate relationship, that has seen the couple sharing financial, social, and family ties", the spousal visa program's investigators are going to reject the application, based on a short time line and a lack of actual " time together ". Remember that SOME applicants go to great trouble to fake a relationship, for the goal of Immigration approval. Canada has a system that looks at the overall facts of the application, and the decision is based on the facts found.

If he was to apply, on his own, as a general class of Immigrant, he would be denied, based on a lack of education , skills and his short past work history, and a lack of financial support ie "money in the bank ". .

If she applies, for a spousal Visa, I don't think it will be accepted, based on a number of factors, as I pointed out above.

Now for a point about what NOT to do. He should NOT come to Canada, posing as a visitor, and attempt to stay here. That will result in him being found out, and deported. It is VERY hard to live in Canada, as a illegal person, due to our co-ordinated system of employment identification. With out a Social Insurance Number card, a person here cannot apply for a job, open a bank account, rent a place to live, go to school, or access any social services programs. In reality, he would be sleeping in some body's basement, and hiding. Being deported from Canada, results in a five or ten year ban, from re-entry.

I wish I could offer more hope, but the reality is harsh, given the set of facts that you presented above.

Jim b.

Toronto.
If the U.S. would only follow Canada's immigration laws and policies we wouldn't have tens of millions of illegal aliens in our country.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:06 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,151,288 times
Quote:
I'm sure, they will figure out what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration