Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 06:45 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,455,039 times

Advertisements

Shatta :

I have sent you a private message, with my email address. Look for it on this forum .

Jim B.

Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 11:17 AM

81 posts, read 166,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I too have found this whole scenario a little confusing!

I'm really not sure why this is so confusing. The question boils down to what is all involved or required for my 19yo to move to Canada and be able to stay there legally.

The reasons behind why I'd be asking are pretty obvious, he wants to move to be with his girlfriend. Anything beyond that is frankly none of your business, nor does it have anything to do with the question at hand.

In my original post I spelled it all out there. How long they've been talking (over a year online/phone), how many times they've seen each other face to face (1 time for 2 weeks), what the financial situation is (him nothing in the bank beyond a few thousand, she has saved about $20K), what type of schooling he has (none as of yet, but she does have a degree as a baker), living situations (he nothing, she her own apartment), what jobs they are skilled at (again, him nothing but she has skills as a baker)

So, why I'm asking the question, if I'm enabling him or not, really isn't an issue. Nor is there anything terribly confusing about it. I stated I know what it takes for her to come here. Which is understandable because I am a US Citizen, and again makes sense that I would know nothing (beyond pre 9/11 information) about how to live in Canada legally since I don't live there nor have any desire to. He however feels differently and as a parent (no matter what age he is) I'd like to have all the information at hand.

It really isn't rocket science.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:53 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk2TN View Post
It really isn't rocket science.
Neither is going to the official Canadian immigration site which was linked earlier where all the information needed is easily found (and, I should add, is up to date and not "pre 9/11"). I was simply confused for the same reason as poster charlygal - but that issue is more for the "non-relationship" forum.

As far as the relationship your son has with his girlfriend and it being "frankly none of your business", you are the one who gave the details and, you're right, those details which you've now repeated have nothing to do with the basic question at hand.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:33 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,151,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No offense but if you don't think the relationship is a good idea, why are you doing all of this research?

If your son and this woman believe they are grown up enough to get married, they are grown up enough to figure out this immigration stuff. Otherwise, you are acting as an enabler. Point them to the website and walk away. He can make phone calls and such.

Personally, I would sit him down, tell him your real feelings and then...let go.
I completely agree with you.

OP, if they really care to stay together, no immigration can keep them apart. They just need to show a genuine relationship, as short as it is.

In the meantime, they can visit each other for extended periods, or short ones, if they can't afford longer stays. They should collect all the documentation regarding those trips and their relationships: emails, pictures of them together, trips taken together and so on. They can use all those things for his/her immigration application later.

This is what people who are in their situation normally do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration